Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
It's so odd. Nobody ever says Silicon Valley will leave the Bay. Or Wall Street will leave NYC.

But LA is always in danger of losing Hollywood. Makes no sense.

I think people like to think this way with no evidence or reason to back it up.
Haters are gonna hate. LA has plenty of people who hate it and wish it to have a terrible fate. I've seen people hoping LA falls into the ocean. It comes with the territory of being envied. This is the most polarizing city in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
LA is not in danger of losing its main industry. That's ridiculous. No other city in the country has the infrastructure to easily shoot a picture.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Haters are gonna hate. LA has plenty of people who hate it and wish it to have a terrible fate. I've seen people hoping LA falls into the ocean. It comes with the territory of being envied. This is the most polarizing city in the nation.
People are only jealous of L.A.'s fame and popularity. Even people in Northern California love to bash about "weirdness, smog, traffic and gangs", as if those things dont exist anywhere else. But that is to be expected from the insecure when you are on top. As any well known celebrity.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:27 PM

572 posts, read 709,200 times
^
Yup.

I'm not saying LA doesn't have it's challenges and problems because it does. I just think it's treated unfairly.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
People are only jealous of L.A.'s fame and popularity. Even people in Northern California love to bash about "weirdness, smog, traffic and gangs", as if those things dont exist anywhere else. But that is to be expected from the insecure when you are on top. As any well known celebrity.
I often hear Bay area residents bash LA for the fact that there are so many poor or working class neighborhoods, and the fact that there is such a large Mexican population. And that's when I realize that the liberalism and openness they often brag about up north is 100% bull****. Limousine liberalism maybe, but not true liberalism..that ended up there 20 years ago. Like New York, San Francisco has gotten too expensive and exclusive for its own good. If you're rich then NYC and SF are your oysters. But you can't say those cities have the artistic edge they used to. You can't simultaneously be a playground for the wealthy and also be artistic and edgy. Just ask all the artists in London that moved to Berlin when London became prohibitively expensive.

And that's what's cool about LA. It may be raw, brash, gritty, unfinished...but it also clearly has an edge right now.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
No joke. The liberalism up there is a bit limousine with the exception of Berkeley.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 AM

16 posts, read 32,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Don't get me wrong, it still is the second most influential city in the country, by a long shot.

But it felt like there was a time during the 80's and 90's when L.A. was posing a serious challenge to NYC as the cultural center and most important city in the country. Things just seemed to be moving that way...but in this last decade it seems to have regressed, with NYC now the clear leader.

And this isn't an East/West thing, because other West Coast metros, like San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Las Vegas (ok, not coast but you get the point) have not necessarily lost any influence.
Believe it or not, the events of 9-11 have had a big effect on how NYC is perceived.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
It's so odd. Nobody ever says Silicon Valley will leave the Bay. Or Wall Street will leave NYC.

But LA is always in danger of losing Hollywood. Makes no sense.

I think people like to think this way with no evidence or reason to back it up.
People most definitely say Silicon Valley has a chance of leaving the bay, technology is outsourced more than film. Also, trading floors around the country have downsized with electronic trading.

LA is usually bashed by Bay Area residents for materialism and sprawl, not really mexicans and asians, there are plenty of poor mexicans in SF and Bay Arean's love their mexican and asian food also.

whoever you know bashing LA for that is also probably bashing Oakland.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM

572 posts, read 709,200 times
^
I'm confused. When did I mention Asians or Mexicans?

And while jobs are outsourced, does anyone really believe the actual giants of Silicon Valley or Wall Street will leave?

No.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
People most definitely say Silicon Valley has a chance of leaving the bay
Quick, somebody call Apple, Google and Facebook so they can put the brakes on wasting billions of dollars on headquarters’ expansion because there's not going to be any local tech industry left when they're done.

Whew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles