Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,169 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been relocated for his company to work in the SoCal office in La Verne. My job opportunities are primarily focused in the Culver City/Santa Monica area. I've been doing lots of research to try and find somewhere we can live in the middle, but haven't had much luck. Can anyone suggest a location that has rents around $1,700/month for a decent (2 bedroom+) apartment or mortgages between $2000 - $2500?

I'm wiling to commute up to an hour and a half or so via public transport (if possible) or drive about an hour.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 PM

33 posts, read 109,890 times
Try Pasadena, Monterey Hills, Hermon, or Highland Park (in order of nicer to more gritty depending on your definition, the last 3 are gentrifying quickly) There's a train running through or near all of the above that can take you to Culver City that's slated to run by summer. These sections would be a compromise btwn the 2 areas and place you into some neighborhoods with character. I would rent first before purchasing. Ultimately for home buying, these neighborhoods may fall into your budget of 2-2.5K with the exception of the pricier parts like South Pasadena. There's a section of Pasadena slightly north of the 210 fwy. by Old Town with some great housing stock if kids are not a consideration for schools.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Is there no possible way for you to find work closer to La Verne?

You say you've been doing a lot of research regarding 'what is in the middle' and 'haven't found much', because there isn't much, unfortunately.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Are you willing to consider Downtown?

Culver City is about a 40 minute drive most days from downtown(shorter on holiday/off days...as little as 20 minutes with no traffic). La Verne is a bit of a drive but its all reverse commute.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Pasadena would be a good choice.

Pasadena has everything you would need as a resident: shopping, grocery stores, entertainment, apartments, houses, condos, light rail, buses, parks, schools, colleges, etc.

From Pasadena to Santa Monica, you would take the 110S to Downtown. That stretch of 110S is pretty fast at all hours, but the traffic picks up around the 5 interchange near Downtown LA. From DTLA, you would get on the 10W toward to coast, which is a parking lot all the way to Santa Monica. The whole drive should take just a little bit more than an hour.

From Pasadena to La Verne, your husband would hop on the 210E and that's it. It's a reverse commute with very little traffic except around Arcadia and the 605 interchange. This drive should take about 30-35 minutes.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,169 times
Thanks everyone! We've focused in on Pasadena, Monrovia, and Arcadia. Now comes the new challenge of finding apartments

Any suggestions on where to look for apartments? I've been monitoring craigslist, but there's a lot of crap to wade through.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM

362 posts, read 817,876 times
Pasadena, Monrovia, Arcadia to Culver City in the AM will be one gnarly trip.

I will try to snap some photos of that side of the freeway in the AM.

This is a toughy as there is no simple solution here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles