Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 PM

24 posts, read 73,313 times

Advertisements

Last year I decided that I was going to move to Los Angeles. I have lived in the Bay Area for over 5 years and for the past 1 1/2 I have been living in Sacramento. Now I am ready for a change. I recently was hired to work at place that is by the Beverly Center that pays 13.50 an hour plus commission. I am trying to decide a place to stay that is fairly close, and fairly cheap ( has to be under 1200 utilities incld.) I found a few places on S. Normandie right by Beverly I believe that meets this criteria.
I am wondering if it an alright place (not too high in crime, good shopping, bar/nightlife not too far away). Also if anyone has any suggestions. Is living in Hollywood too far from my worksite? How about Culver City? Because I know LA traffic and I don't want to live anywhere that is past 15 miles from my jobsite. Give me some advise please on anything you can think of from the info I submitted, or anything else I should know or look out for. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM

249 posts, read 444,480 times
No, no, no.. No worries. I have all good news!

-There is a train that runs the length of Hollywood Blvd. that can drop you right at Vermont and Beverly, which is a VERY short walk to the apt. on S. Normadie.

-The neighborhood there is a bit gritty, but nothing dangerous or bad. You know city life so you'll be fine. Lots of Latinos and whites mostly around there. I lived about ten mins from there for quite sometime.

-That immediate area is not going to be good for bars or shopping, but you will be a short train ride away from both elements in Hollywood.

-It's going to be a lot cheaper than Hollywood too, so with the (very) good luck of having the train right at your fingertips, I think those apartments would do fine.

Culver City I would advise against as you'll be at the mercy of the buses unless you drive(which I don't recommend, think money and schedule issues)

Any other questions, fire away.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:28 PM

Cool, I have a car so I don't mind driving. I just know every time I go down there I am stuck in street traffic for long periods of time. I really saw some great places around Burton way (which is walking distance to my job site) for about 1,600 but I think that WAY out of my price range even though I really have no other big expenses. What do you think? I got 4K for this move and I start work the second week of July. I am really not trying to be too broke, but I want to be a in somewhat nice place.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:42 PM

249 posts, read 444,480 times
" I am really not trying to be broke, but I want to be in a somewhat decent nice place "

Not going to happen on 13.50/hr living in or around West Hollywood.

I mean, you could scrape by, but even with walking to your job from home every day, that area, to live, will bleed you dry extremely fast.

I honestly say, you need to live in a less nicer area and a bit more of a simpler place for one very good reason:

Unless you plan to simply people watch or stay home on your days off and the weekends, you will simply not have the means to enjoy the city in any appreciable manner.

It's definitely better to fly under the radar in LA and live in a not-as-cool-as-west-Hollywood part of the city and have the cash to go have a blast when the time comes.

Just my perspective. One or the other, but not both on that wage.

The trick might be to get a roommate(s), but of course only if you're open to that. Otherwise, you're in for a hell of a grind I'm afraid.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
" I am really not trying to be broke, but I want to be in a somewhat decent nice place "

Not going to happen on 13.50/hr living in or around West Hollywood.

I mean, you could scrape by, but even with walking to your job from home every day, that area, to live, will bleed you dry extremely fast.

I honestly say, you need to live in a less nicer area and a bit more of a simpler place for one very good reason:

Unless you plan to simply people watch or stay home on your days off and the weekends, you will simply not have the means to enjoy the city in any appreciable manner.

It's definitely better to fly under the radar in LA and live in a not-as-cool-as-west-Hollywood part of the city and have the cash to go have a blast when the time comes.

Just my perspective. One or the other, but not both on that wage.

The trick might be to get a roommate(s), but of course only if you're open to that. Otherwise, you're in for a hell of a grind I'm afraid.

Yeah I thought so, Thanks!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,306,860 times
Will your commissions be substantial? I only ask because when my daughter and her bf moved to that area they were making between $14 and $16 an hour each, sharing a studio, and with the parents paying for essentials like auto ins, cell phones and emergency car repairs. I don't know that either could have done it on their own at those salaries.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,520,321 times
I don't know what the commission would be but 13.50 while higher than min wage will be tough.

Have you calculated what your income will be and all expenses ? Keep in mind all those extras that usually don't get calculated ..like Ceece mentioned .. Car repairs etc. my car isn't that old and I've already spent over $600 or so on tires .

It would suck to move and be struggling off the bat.

I'd also recommend trying to find other things to do to make money , do you have some hobbies you could turn into side businesses ?

Best of luck

Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 AM

Commission would be an extra 1000 to 1500 a month. My car is paid off my insurance is paid for by my mom. I have a 80$ directv bill and a 100 cell phone bill. So getting Internet is all I have to factor in but I am working for a company that sells Internet so I am assuming it would be discounted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles