Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:26 AM

69 posts, read 184,344 times

Advertisements

you can look whereever in LA just have to get lucky with finding a good roommate situation for around 600-700$ a month, maybe get that transfer, and then after you get out here take the first waitressing job you can find... you should be okay with the 2500$ if all you have to pay is rent...
maybe try like echo park/silverlake area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 05:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
OP, are you aware that even fast food jobs are scarce here in the Southland?

Old 11-25-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Get a van, you can sleep in it easier!
Down by the river.

That has no water in it.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:51 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times
You know times are tough when you can just walk into a Cheesecake Factory and get a table at 6p.m.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch323 View Post
So basically I'm 19 and need to get out of my house and am planning on moving to LA this January. I moved to Chicago in '02 but grew up in Playa del Rey. I know I wont be able to afford to live in Playa so any other suggestions? Where do all the struggling artists and such with little income live? I have $2500 saved and plan on waiting tables for a while once I get out there.
May I ask what you mean by needing to get out of your house? If I can make assumptions, I'd tell you to get a second job bartending or waiting tables to keep you out of the house if it's an uncomfortable situation. That'll line your pockets with savings. Better yet, research the kinds of positions you'd like in LA and go to school to prepare for an entry level job for it. That'll keep you busy as well. The fact is, the economy is as bad as reported. Retail jobs, even in this holiday season, are meager if you can find one at all. I'm an optimist naturally and think things will be on the upswing soon, but I wouldn't risk another's basic well being on it in this environment. I personally know people struggling here right now with your very same situation. They are not succeeding with their struggle. They are subsisting solely on advice, such as mine here, for whatever it's worth.

But you asked for a more substantive response, so... If you come, forget anything "playa". North Hollywood, maybe. Don't move out with anything less than $5K. Roommates are your only option. Secure a transfer job first and if it's a big retail chain it should have a location near NoHo. Or you can work on Wilshire and live in KTown taking buses. Driving comes with lots of expenses so you'll have a live-bus-work life and I hope school is also somewhere in that location/configuration. It's doable but takes careful planning. Two months is not enough. Give yourself 6 months to figure this out and save more cash.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM

594 posts, read 1,200,606 times
Dude, move to Florida... much cheaper and affordable

Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
You know times are tough when you can just walk into a Cheesecake Factory and get a table at 6p.m.
Same goes for Claim Jumper.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
On the other hand, if he has a parental cushion back home or somwhere, this could be a growing, educational experience for him. And all education can be expensive.

During the early 70's recession, at age 20, I hitchhiked to California from Minnesota. The employment situation was so dire, that I even went to a job agency, to pay someone to find me a job, believe it or not, as a dishwasher.
No such luck!

I gave up after 2 months, called home, crying and begging, to send me money for a 1-way flight back.

But it was a valuable experience, none the less.

And one never knows. Some people are blessed with luck.
oh come on, don't encourage him. The 70s recession was nothing like today, especially in California..The last thing this kid needs in anyone telling him this would be a good life experience even with family support.

Of course if he really wants to come and is bound and determined, yes, lets hope he does have a family to fall back on.

Nita

Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 PM

890 posts, read 2,786,011 times
I say go to South Dakota for 2 years, so by 21 you should have at least 80k saved.
Then move to LA and blow the 80k in about a year.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:00 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Same goes for Claim Jumper.
Lots of places are like that.... I went to Katsu-ya last Saturday at 8 oclock... no wait. It's crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles