Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,028,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole.hopkins View Post
So I decided to move to L.A in February

I'm looking for an area that has "culture".....i know L.A is no San Fran or New York,
Hunh? What "culture" can be found in SF and NYC that's not in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,151,062 times
Don't forget downtown Ventura

Walk Score - Ventura

Welcome to ventura Arts Online!

Ventura Arts & Culture - Ventura Visitors & Conventions Bureau

PLACE - Projects Linking Art, Community & Environment (http://www.placeonline.us/projects/overview.html - broken link)

Or Santa Barbara although Santa Barbara is a little more difficult without a car and more expensive. But is a very nice city for artists.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,238,486 times
I need to pipe in here in regards to Ventura. My husband & I lived there for 4 years. My husband is an artist and we are both in a band.

We hated it.

The "art" seemed more geared (to us) to making interesting things with sea shells. Nothing really cutting edge. It was a HORRIBLE place for young people. When we first moved there and met anyone in their 20s or early 30s who lived/grew up there, they would say "Why on EARTH would you want to move HERE?!"

We thought they were being cynical. They weren't. There isn't a whole lot to do, in my (and their) opinion. Not a lot open at night. If you want to get lunch at around 2 or 3 pm, there isn't much open. Stores tended to be open or closed based on the whim of the store owner. If you're hungry after 9/9:30pm, you might be eating in a restaurant with no one else there and the waitstaff vacuuming around you trying to clean up for the night. The last 2 years we were there, we found ourselves doing the 1 - 2.5 hour drive down to LA more and more.

If you're super into the beach life and surf & garden & do stuff like that, Ventura might be the place for you. If you like good restaurants, going out at night, seeing bands, independant film, cutting edge art... then not so much.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,151,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I need to pipe in here in regards to Ventura. My husband & I lived there for 4 years. My husband is an artist and we are both in a band.

We hated it.

The "art" seemed more geared (to us) to making interesting things with sea shells. Nothing really cutting edge. It was a HORRIBLE place for young people. When we first moved there and met anyone in their 20s or early 30s who lived/grew up there, they would say "Why on EARTH would you want to move HERE?!"

We thought they were being cynical. They weren't. There isn't a whole lot to do, in my (and their) opinion. Not a lot open at night. If you want to get lunch at around 2 or 3 pm, there isn't much open. Stores tended to be open or closed based on the whim of the store owner. If you're hungry after 9/9:30pm, you might be eating in a restaurant with no one else there and the waitstaff vacuuming around you trying to clean up for the night. The last 2 years we were there, we found ourselves doing the 1 - 2.5 hour drive down to LA more and more.

If you're super into the beach life and surf & garden & do stuff like that, Ventura might be the place for you. If you like good restaurants, going out at night, seeing bands, independant film, cutting edge art... then not so much.
That seems odd to me. Were you in the Pierpont area by chance?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times
I bit my tongue/sat on my fingers earlier, too, but the "no culture in LA" is one huge big myth. So is the "you have to have a car" and "no one walks" thing. Living without a car doesn't work for everyone, of course, but if you don't have to have a car for your work and if you live in a walkable neighborhood with decent public transportation then it's not bad. It's the same thing in SF; I've lived as a non-driver in both cities, and discovered that my own preconceived notions had led me to hold unrealistically high expectations for SF and unrealistically low expectations for LA. If you want to live in LA and don't want to drive it's certainly possible, so no need to write the city off on that reason alone.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:37 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,238,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
That seems odd to me. Were you in the Pierpont area by chance?
I lived right near the downtown area for a year (almost on the corner of Kalorama & Main) and then about a mile south of the "new" waterpark for 3 years. Both very nice neighborhoods.

Ventura had a LOT of great things about it, the weather being the main one (for me)... but I would hesitate on sending a young artist there to live. All of the younger people I met were pretty bitter about living there. This surprised the hell out of me at first ("But... you live in paradise!"), but I came to understand it after 3 years or so.

I also had a very VERY bad experience at Ventura Community Hospital and would hesitate advising anyone to move there based on that. Anyone that wanted to live, anyway. Maybe the other hospital is better... I don't know. I do know I'll never live anywhere again without a good choice of top-notch hospitals.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:26 AM

11 posts, read 58,736 times
We spend quite a bit of time in Ventura. My sis-in-law lives there. I wouldn't advise a young artist to move there. A young family, maybe.

Silverlake is good advice. So are Eagle Rock (a little more "industrial"), Atwater Village and Echo Park. Downtown LA is happening right now. Artsy and gritty yet safe as long as you stay off Skid Row. Also affordable and fairly easy to navigate, even without a car.

Hollywood could be an option, but I wouldn't describe it as artsy. Koreatown is cheap and close to downtown but you could find yourself caught in a turf war between the MS and 18th Street gangs. I hear they've cleaned up the area since I lived there 10 years ago.

There is Venice for the hippie in you, but it's becoming increasingly gentrified and will most likely be out of your price range. In reference to the person who recommended Pasadena: I really like Pasadena but I don't see a young, starving artist surviving there. South Pasadena, maybe. But then she may as well go for the gold and live in Silverlake.

LA can be great if you give it a chance.

Best of luck,

-R.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole.hopkins View Post
I was also considering moving to San Francisco........all things considered maybe it would be a better fit... My car doesnt work well and a new one isnt in my budget just yet, i know SF has wonderful public transit. And probably a much more "walkable" place.
Yes, San Francisco does have a wonderful transportation system, but keep in mind rents are very high as well. Do you have a housing budget? what are you thinking about when it comes to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles