Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:57 AM

60 posts, read 168,271 times

Advertisements

So, I've been reading this forum, and maybe too much at times. I have been researching the possibility of a move from NYC to LA (I love the westside!), but I am starting to get concerned with some of the posts I've encountered. I'm a professional woman in my 30s and have had enough of NYC living and thought LA would provide me with some of the things I am frustrated about NYC, ie. LA can provide more laid back lifestyle, mountains and beaches, mobility via a car which NY doesn't afford, and nicer weather. NYC is a tough and expensive place to live and I feel its time for a change. Are these posts true? I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time in LA in the past year and I've enjoyed it, but reading this forum is beginning to freak me out.
Any thoughts out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 12:11 PM

157 posts, read 828,692 times
Hi,

I actually think the Westside of LA is a great place to live -- unless you have kids. I LOVED it here until my kids became big enough (4 and 7) for me to be really frustrated by LA. I've been on the Westside for 26 years and in California all of my life, so I'm happy to answer any questions that you have, but it would help if you were a little more specific about what your concerns are precisely I suspect that LA is more laid back than New York (although I've never lived there) and the weather, beaches and mountains are all wonderful. Mobility by car . . . well, most of us hate that Driving around LA is one of the things I find the most stressful!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the info.
I guess I'm on the fence about my move...it's a big decision and I will be leaving friends/family, but joining some on the west coast as well.
I suppose my need to move is based on the frustration levels as mentioned before and the ability not to own anything decent in NYC. 1BR's go for 600-700K in a nice, secure building in the city. Is it any better in LA? Would I not be gaining much by a move to the LA area? I've also read alot that its not that easy to meet people and the fakeness out there. I figure it depends on the person you are and who you surround yourself with.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM

157 posts, read 828,692 times
Hi,

Cost of living is not hugely better. Especially here on the Westside. Condos are 600-700K minimum for a nice neighborhood and you have to have a car here which adds a lot. Parking isn't as expensive, but you are putting many miles on your car which adds up quickly in gas and wear and tear. So financially, if your heart is set on West LA it might not be much better. If you are willing to think about the South Bay (Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach) I think it's a little less and those are very nice places to live. I lived in Palos Verdes for a while and really really loved it.

As for meeting people. I do think it's hard here. In New York I've heard that there is more of a culture of walking and eating out alone and stuff which allows you to pretty easily meet other people. I've found here in LA that everyone is just so busy that it can be really hard to connect. I honestly don't think it's that people are flaky or superficial so much as that they are sooooo busy that it's hard to stop and make room for someone new. Why are people so busy? That's a tough one, but I think it has something to do with how much of the day is taken up driving.

i know how hard it is to think about leaving family and friends We are doing that soon and it's really really really hard. But for us it's the right thing to do. At least I hope it is

Old 05-22-2007, 05:04 PM

23 posts, read 48,632 times
Ewwwwwww. Trust me, you do not want to live in Los Angeles.

I made that mistake, moving to Los Angeles a few years ago and moved out with the quickness. What a hell hole dump.

Do yourself a favor and stay in New York. Why on earth would you leave NY for L.A.??

Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM

662 posts, read 1,282,050 times
Lanvin, NYC is pretty much a dump as well. Even LA ghettos look cleaner than those in NY. But if you move to a big city, that's what they all deal with. And in both cities, it is easy to avoid areas you don't like.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 PM

644 posts, read 3,321,058 times
You can put your stuff in storage and travel light. Come out and live here for a while. See if you like it. If you don't, you can move back to NYC. But I would not recommend moving all your belongings across country. It's so expensive, and what for? You can buy plenty on Craigs List and sell it again when you leave.

Artie

Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
What about, dare I say, Boston? I believe it is a bit less than NYC and cleaner. Easier to meet people and not such a fast pace. We are leaving to move there and counting the minutes until we do. Remember, visiting is not the same as day to day living.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Hey there MorefromCali...thank you so much for yr input.
Regarding meeting people though, it seems so hard here in NYC. To hear what you have to say about LA - that's what I thought would be easier - being outside and such. You don't really get that in NYC a lot due to the weather.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:32 PM

Thanks artie. I agree! I never looked at this move as perm, but rather give it a couple of years and see what happens. But, still a big decision and am torturing myself. THink I need to rip the band-aid off already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles