Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times

Advertisements

LA nightlife sucks and it's sad. A lot of people expect Hollywood to be wild almost like Vegas but it's not. It's the complete opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
LA nightlife sucks and it's sad. A lot of people expect Hollywood to be wild almost like Vegas but it's not. It's the complete opposite.
people who expect vegas in la are idiots, the only place like vegas in the world is vegas. la does have good night life though, it just starts earlier and ends earlier than most other big cities in the world. it also doesn't hurt to be able to throw money away as many of the best bars/clubs are very exclusive.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
people who expect vegas in la are idiots, the only place like vegas in the world is vegas. la does have good night life though, it just starts earlier and ends earlier than most other big cities in the world. it also doesn't hurt to be able to throw money away as many of the best bars/clubs are very exclusive.
people who are not from here are going by what they see in films, shows etc. its the same when a lot of americans expect england to just be foggy all the time because they're going by what they see in films. can i call them idiots? i'd like to because it really pisses me off but anyway yes there are some good clubs out here in LA but I feel that there's more crap then good. more top 40 nonsense full of a bunch of posers/wannabes. so overall for me and a lot of people the nightlife here sucks and it's a huge disappointment for MOST people.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
The only areas I've found that were active late at night are in Asian areas. When I lived in Rosemead, I could always find something to do late at night...like 2, 3am ish. Lots of restaurants, a few pool halls, etc. For a while, there was even a pool hall in Baldwin Park that was 24 hours, and there were a few 24 hour arcades in Hollywood and Pasadena.

Now that I live in SF Valley, there is not even that many restaurants open very late. I'm not too thrilled with that.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:04 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
We are all busy on some social networking site and don't have the time to be at clubs at 2 am

Old 01-30-2010, 03:14 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
The answer is simple, most people have hooked-up by midnight.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 AM

39 posts, read 99,740 times
Thumbs up Feels like...

It feels like it sometimes doesn't it? While people aren't generally out as in outside, they're out of the house. I usually head out for the club around 11:30/midnight (if I've already been drinking) since fewer if any people are waiting to get in by then because people pretty much settle on the place they're going to be at last call by then. Though (IMO) its no secret that LA generally isn't as lively as other cities, or even as some would have you believe--during certain seasons anyway.

There's a bunch of reasons for that. One, there's only pockets in the city that have a really great night scene ([LEFT]WeHo[/LEFT], Downtown, etc). Two, LA is too spread out so a lot of clubbers know they have a long drive or a long cab ride ahead of them after the clubs let out which they aren't looking forward to. Three, we don't have reliable mass/public transit after certain hours and like someone earlier said, certain neighborhoods that some of the best clubs are in are..not so nice.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Angelenos just don't walk the streets at night. I've always thought it was too dangerous and so was never an option for me. I have however spent time visiting cities like Paris, Madrid, Florence, and London, where I spent wild nights out and didn't think twice about it. So it's just not part of the LA culture I guess.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
you have got to be kidding. 2nd largest city in USA, LA does not sleep, city of the fallen angeles.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 AM

571 posts, read 1,932,618 times
People are up but it's going to be working class going home.. and the areas you mentioned like Hollywood Blvd around Highland is probably going to be the busiest you will find around that time. Pasadena at Colorado Blvd. MAYBE but definately NOT San Gabriel it's a sleepy suburb.

Honestly I don't think the "movie industry" has anything to do with L.A. not being busy at night. We are such a densely populated area with millions of residents with only 5% or so actually working in the "industry" half of L.A. is working class and/or minorities..! The other half is a mix of musicians, aspiring movie stars, "yuppies" and everyone inbetween...!

I think the reason is just the lack of having concentrated areas like downtown where there are lots of bars and clubs and things going on..

I just moved from Glendale to North Hills and was a little bit shocked that I couldn't even find a diner (other than of course Denny's or IHOP) that was open late.. in Glendale we had at least 5 within a 10 minute drive (in L.A. or Hollywood areas as well as in Glendale) and you could just drive around in hopes of finding something open late. Not the case up here - much more suburban.

So anyway - people are up that late. Just not necessarily out partying and all spread out since L.A. is so huge. My husband gets off work at 1am (video game company) and there are alot of people working all sorts of jobs that come home late. They are correct when they say there is ALWAYS traffic in L.A. The times I have seen with the least traffic is 4am-5am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles