Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 32,644 times

Advertisements

Hello!

This is Regivar again Cycling in L.A.

Ok, I understood: cycling in L.A. isn't a good idea. But let me explain my ideas.

I'm Italian, a 43-year-old woman. Since my childhood, I'm in love with movies, american stars and Hollywood.

My favourite film? Sunset Boulevard by Billy Wilder!
My favourite actress? Bette Davis!
Actor? William Holden!
Location? The Norma Desmond's old and creepy mansion!
Soundtrack? Vertigo by Bernard Hermann!

Well, I want to see this magic place, I want to see Hollywood! And I'm planning my trip to L.A.

1 - I bought a lot of books and guide: "This is Hollywood" by K. Schessler, "Los Angeles and Disneyland for dummies", The Thomas Guide of L.A., "The Hollywood book of death" and so on...

2 - I'm going to book a lot of tour from "hollywoodtours.com" and "redline.com" and "dearlydeparted.com" and so on...

3 - I would like to see the "Hearst Castle" too, but I think it's too difficult without a car

I like unusual places and oddities collections and bizarre museums. Do you have any suggestions? Any books (another one? ) to buy? Any places to see?

Thank you very much and sorry for my very poor english: I'm hardly studying it, but it's very difficult for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 10:30 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,607,979 times
You really need to buy this book in advance of your trip:
Hollywood Escapes: The Moviegoer's Guide to Exploring Southern California's Great Outdoors by Michael Medved, easily available online. It's brand new and up to date.

It will point out various locations of famous movie scenes, where they were filmed, what's left of them, etc. This book concentrates on what is in fact left for you to see. Much of Los Angeles past is demolished, i.e. the "Norma Desmond" mansion was demolished shortly after "Sunset Blvd." Maybe this is hard to understand, since Italy is so wonderful about preserving its past, and L.A. is so new that you'd think the place would be more reverent about its few aspects of actual history.

The Dearly Departed tour is supposed to be fun. I also suggest you go to the Hollywood Cemetary to see graves of the recently departed, like Johnny Ramone as well as the film stars.

The one cemetary that usually isn't played up in tour books is the one behind the church in Westwood Village on Wilshire Blvd., which housed the remains of Marilyn Monroe amongst others. There is massive construction going on at the moment, so it's hard to see from the street.

I think you ought to try to find a tour bus to take you to Hearst Castle. For one thing, you be driven past some of the most beautiful California coastal scenery. For another, it's a great representation of "Old Hollywood," because of its inspiration for "Citizen Kane," (easy to recreate in your mind once you're there in person. It's a great homage journey for that reason) and for its place in being a playhouse to the stars courtesy of Hearst's and Marion Davies' guest lists. This "day trip" from L.A. will be a very long day trip, so don't plan anything else. A tour will arrange tickets in advance, a good idea for an often sold-out destination.

You're going to have a lot of fun, particularly since you're doing the necessary planning in advance. L.A. is huge and not traversible by bicycle, as the another poster cautioned. We're about freeways here, where bicycles rightfully aren't allowed (too dangerous for them.) The Santa Monica beach has nice bike ways, but then again as an Italian, you're used to nice beaches.

Your English is excellent. I did not simplify my writing style to give you information, as I am confident in your ability in English based upon your writing. I should speak Italian so well! Good luck!

Last edited by fastfilm; 05-29-2007 at 10:43 AM..

Old 05-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Here's another link for a museum rarely mentioned in guidebooks:
Forrest Ackerman's Sci-Fi Mansion
When you call in advance (mainly for when it's sporadically open) you'll be in touch with Mr. Ackerman himself, who will then give you the tour in person. It's mainly fantasy and sci-fi movie memoribilia, but Mr. Ackerman is the real deal from the days of vintage Hollywood. He even has a genuine robot from Fritz Lang's "Metropolis."

There's other Hollywood museums mentioned on the link, so I thought you'd appreciate it.

Last edited by fastfilm; 05-29-2007 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 PM

Here's blurb from "Hollywood Escapes" Book Description:
LET THE MOVIES BE YOUR GUIDE!

* Hike THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE Trail!
* Behold the KILL BILL Chapel!
* Enter THE DOORS Indian Caves!
* Swim at BEACH BLANKET BINGO's Malibu!
* Escape to SOME LIKE IT HOT's Resort!
* Raft the STAGECOACH River!
* Explore HIGH PLAIN DRIFTER's Ghostly Lake!
* Trek to the LOST HORIZON Waterfall!
* Discover the STAR WARS Sand Dunes!

Again, this is based upon places you can access, which I thought a cyclist might appreciate.

Also, the hotel in "Some Like It Hot" is back down the coast in San Diego, the Del Coronado (San Diego is sort of like L.A. but improved.) The Del Coronado, that rarity in Southern Californa, an actual old building, is famous for something besides its starring role in "Some Like It Hot"(impersonating Florida); that of being the building that inspired many of the illustrations of the Emerald City in the original editions of the Wizard of Oz books- particularly those conical towers with the tiny windows jutting out of them.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 AM

Dear fastfilm,

I really appreciate your suggestions, thank you! You wrote me a lot of helpful news and I'm very happy!

I look forward to visit L.A. and Hollywood and all those beautiful places out there

Thank you!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,340,471 times
"Hollywood Revealed: A Movie Lover's Guide" is sensational. I walk Hollywood, book in hand. It's full of movie locations, dead celebs homes, defunct movie studios...like oxygen.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:33 PM

Thank you Sorcerer68: I ordered this book from a bookshop just now!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
The Westwood Cemetery is really good. It's small but there are a lot of stars packed in - you will find yourself stepping on some of them while you are looking for others..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles