Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:02 PM

4 posts, read 17,489 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Thank you in advance to all advice, help!!! I currently live in Bellflower in a safe suburban neighborhood. I work in LA (all over) so definitely need to finally move back to LA and cut down on driving considerably. Two very cheap places (in my price range) I found are in Westlake,

• 501 S. Spring St. Los Angeles CA 90013
  • 532 s coronado st, la
Does anyone know anything about these areas? I am extremely concerned, being small and despite strong, no match for a taller guy or an armed man. I have read some strong words about this area increasing my concern. Please let me know anything information that you think might help. It means SO much to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannak View Post
Hi there! Thank you in advance to all advice, help!!! I currently live in Bellflower in a safe suburban neighborhood. I work in LA (all over) so definitely need to finally move back to LA and cut down on driving considerably. Two very cheap places (in my price range) I found are in Westlake,

• 501 S. Spring St. Los Angeles CA 90013
  • 532 s coronado st, la
Does anyone know anything about these areas? I am extremely concerned, being small and despite strong, no match for a taller guy or an armed man. I have read some strong words about this area increasing my concern. Please let me know anything information that you think might help. It means SO much to me.
501 S. Spring Street is in downtown LA, not Westlake. I know this because I lived for a year in a loft apartment not far from there in 2002.

It's also right on the corner with 5th Street. If you are not familiar with 5th Street, there's not a lot I can say that would prepare you for it. You pretty much have to see it for yourself to believe it. I believe it's the biggest homeless encampment in America.

532 S. Coronado Street is only a couple of blocks from Macarthur Park. From what I hear, this park is somewhat cleaned up now versus how it was in the 1990s and early 2000s when I lived in LA, but at that time it was full of drug dealers and gangbangers despite the presence of an LAPD substation right IN the park. I don't know how much it has changed, but I will be fairly amazed if it is a safe neighborhood nowadays.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:11 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
You also might think about not posting online the addresses of where you might live

Old 03-04-2010, 03:59 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
501 S. Spring Street is in downtown LA, not Westlake. I know this because I lived for a year in a loft apartment not far from there in 2002.

It's also right on the corner with 5th Street. If you are not familiar with 5th Street, there's not a lot I can say that would prepare you for it. You pretty much have to see it for yourself to believe it. I believe it's the biggest homeless encampment in America.

532 S. Coronado Street is only a couple of blocks from Macarthur Park. From what I hear, this park is somewhat cleaned up now versus how it was in the 1990s and early 2000s when I lived in LA, but at that time it was full of drug dealers and gangbangers despite the presence of an LAPD substation right IN the park. I don't know how much it has changed, but I will be fairly amazed if it is a safe neighborhood nowadays.
Spring Street in downtown LA is SAFE and there are PLENTY of SINGLE FEMALES living in that area. I know b/c I lived there from 2005 to 2008. Crime statistics back this up. This is not to suggest there are no problems downtown. But there area has CHANGED A LOT since 2002.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
I would prefer living on Spring St downtown to the MacArthur Park area. Your life could be just like the movie 500 Day of Summer

That being said, I would exercise heavier than usual street smarts in both areas. One nice thing about Spring will be enjoying the Thursday evening Gallery Hops. You'll also be close to nice places like the Lost Souls Cafe, Rocket Pizza, Petes Cafe, Coles, and the Nickel Diner.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Spring Street in downtown LA is SAFE and there are PLENTY of SINGLE FEMALES living in that area. I know b/c I lived there from 2005 to 2008. Crime statistics back this up. This is not to suggest there are no problems downtown. But there area has CHANGED A LOT since 2002.
Amazing, and good to hear. What happened, did security/cops force the homeless encampment boundary a couple of blocks east? It was still pretty dodgy as far west as Broadway in 2002 when I lived there, although there were visible signs of gentrification on both Spring and Main north of 5th Street. Not that the homeless population caused all that much trouble for residents in the area (I never had any problems at all) but I would think that a "nervous" single female might find it pretty intimidating. Skid Row is a pretty astonishing sight for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I would much prefer the Spring St. location, too, but it's a good point that the nightime/early morning tent cities can come as a shock. I remember seeing a sign for one of those loft buildings right on the edge of skid row that said something like "unique urban location" and thought yeah, that's for sure. (I never lived downtown, but spent a lot of time during the daytime by myself; I don't know how comfortable I would have felt walking around late at night by myself, but had no problems during my many visits there)

Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
5th and Spring(and 5th and Main) USED to be THE 24 hour drug market in LA. There are still problem people hanging around, but LAPD really made a strong push to clean it up. This has occured over the past 8 years and the area has been reasonably cleared of that sort of thing for about 3 years.

Its now an upscale sort of trendy downtown area. I highly recommend going to visit first. Bring a male friend along. Drive around the area on a weeknight around 8pm, and then around 1am. The reason for the late night is because I can't imagine you'd move down there and not take advantage of the bars and clubs.

I just looked and this building is The Alexandria. Its cheap for a few reasons. Understand this place used to be entirely homeless people on general relief. But its been renovated and it supposed to be nice. Rooms are tiny.

A couple things to be aware of.....your parking situation. A lot of the buildings down there don't have parking and you will have to pay a monthly fee to park in a nearby lot. I imagine thats the case here. Another thing to be aware of is the people that are living there. I don't know who is living there currently, but that could be an issue.

The Alexandria - Renovated Hotel Provides Low Income Apartments in Los Angeles - Home

I would not even consider the Coronado address place.

Feel free to pm if you have any other questions. I work in the area at night so I see quite a bit of what goes on there.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:05 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
5th and Spring(and 5th and Main) USED to be THE 24 hour drug market in LA. There are still problem people hanging around, but LAPD really made a strong push to clean it up. This has occured over the past 8 years and the area has been reasonably cleared of that sort of thing for about 3 years.

Its now an upscale sort of trendy downtown area. I highly recommend going to visit first. Bring a male friend along. Drive around the area on a weeknight around 8pm, and then around 1am. The reason for the late night is because I can't imagine you'd move down there and not take advantage of the bars and clubs.

I just looked and this building is The Alexandria. Its cheap for a few reasons. Understand this place used to be entirely homeless people on general relief. But its been renovated and it supposed to be nice. Rooms are tiny.

A couple things to be aware of.....your parking situation. A lot of the buildings down there don't have parking and you will have to pay a monthly fee to park in a nearby lot. I imagine thats the case here. Another thing to be aware of is the people that are living there. I don't know who is living there currently, but that could be an issue.

The Alexandria - Renovated Hotel Provides Low Income Apartments in Los Angeles - Home

I would not even consider the Coronado address place.

Feel free to pm if you have any other questions. I work in the area at night so I see quite a bit of what goes on there.

As a former downtown resident I agree 100% with JOHNG72's comments above. All very good.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 17,489 times
Please explain why you wouldn't even consider the Coronado place, thank you guys! I don't have any guy to take with me, but maybe I should just steer clear of downtown all together....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles