Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 18,580 times

Advertisements

So I am mulling over two job offers right now, one of which is in Burbank. I live in Santa Monica (fairly new to the area and the state) and was having concerns about the driving route, which Ill need to take in the mornings and evenings.

Now what advice do you seasoned commuters have for me so I can better prepare myself for this commute and be aware of possible alternate routes?

My first choice would be taking the I-10 to 405, then the 101 but that might be a pain in the butt I hear (I've never had to drive to Burbank during rush hour). Do you think the commute will be manageable?? I encourage fellow LA peeps to chime in and share their thoughts so I can get a better perspective. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
someone asked about this recently, it may have been you, i don't remember. anyway, that would be a long drive, probably over an hour each way. you will hit slow spots transitioning to the 405 and much of the 101. an alternative is taking the 10E to La Brea then making your way over to Highland (turns into Cahuenga W) and then to Barham. i'm not sure this route would really save any time, but it will cut some miles off the trip.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
if you're closer to SM blvd (or above), I'd take San Vicente all the way into Brentwood and left on Wilshire to catch the 405N. The drive isn't that bad. Lots of industry ppl live out here & make the trek to Burbank everyday without breaking a sweat. It's not like you're commuting from Chino Hills!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM

81 posts, read 285,182 times
At least you're going against traffic over the Sepulveda Pass, so if you're ever feeling drained during the commute, just look at the traffic going the other way and be glad you don't have your home/work reversed!

In any case, freeways are going to be your best bet for a commute this length. Side streets would be backed up any way you dice it. Although, I'd try taking Pico or Olympic to the 405 if the 10 usually backs up.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
This will be a long commute. Over an hour, I'd guess. Try it out some morning and give us a report of how long it took.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 18,580 times
Default Commute from Santa Monica to Burbank

It took 45-50 mins each morning to reach Burbank, and 35-45 mins to drive back to Santa Monica. Traffic conditions do vary on different days I suppose but this is what I experienced during rush hour. Not that bad actually,didn't really seem like that long of a drive.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,452 times
Hi. Wanted to resurrect and hijack this thread.

Just graduated and will be taking a studio job in Burbank. I'll be living with a roommate who will be working in El Segundo. We're going to begin looking for an apartment in SM, Brentwood, West LA, Culver City, and Palms.

I used the Google Maps traffic feature, and the 405N North of the 10 doesn't look so bad in the morning, but the 101S looks like it has some traffic until you get on the 134E.

Two Part Question:
1) Anyone else have first hand experience how the morning commute will be from the westside in general to Burbank? And vice versa in the evening?

2) Will finding a 2 Bed / 2 Bath apartment (ideally with parking) for $1600 be reasonable to find in the areas mentioned above? We plan to use padmapper and westsiderentals to begin our search.

Any first time apartment hunting tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_noob View Post
Hi. Wanted to resurrect and hijack this thread.

Just graduated and will be taking a studio job in Burbank. I'll be living with a roommate who will be working in El Segundo. We're going to begin looking for an apartment in SM, Brentwood, West LA, Culver City, and Palms.

I used the Google Maps traffic feature, and the 405N North of the 10 doesn't look so bad in the morning, but the 101S looks like it has some traffic until you get on the 134E.

Two Part Question:
1) Anyone else have first hand experience how the morning commute will be from the westside in general to Burbank? And vice versa in the evening?

2) Will finding a 2 Bed / 2 Bath apartment (ideally with parking) for $1600 be reasonable to find in the areas mentioned above? We plan to use padmapper and westsiderentals to begin our search.

Any first time apartment hunting tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Best bets at that price point are palms and CC. For santa monica, try the 90404 zip. Good luck, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles