Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 AM

22 posts, read 49,402 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are young professionals who are considering relocating to Los Angeles to work in the entertainment industry (how original! ). He has 5 years experience as a video editor/camera man and is currently working for one of the top adult entertainment companies in the world. I have 5+ years experience as a production assistant, production secretary and casting assistant.

We would appreciate any advice regarding where/how to look for work and neighborhoods to live in.

Additional info if it helps:

-We are looking to rent, not buy. Is it possible to find something for $800/mo. or less for a 1br?
-We have no kids, no pets. No plans for either in the near future.
-We are Hispanic and open to living in multi-racial/ethnic areas.

Are entertainment jobs spread all over LA or confined to certain areas?

Are there websites commonly used for entertainment-related jobs? We currently check Mandy.com.

Are there seasons for this type of work that are better than others?

Has anyone moved cross-country before? We're currently debating whether or not to drive or use an auto-transport and fly. We also are not sure how much to budget for the move.

ANY other tips/warning/suggestions/personal stories are welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
entertainment jobs are all over the city, literally.

check entertainmentcareers.net and showbizjobs.com

entertainment isn't really seasonal unless you are in television.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
You could get a studio for $800 or less. A one-bedroom would be more difficult.

Jobs are all over; "multicultural" or "ethnic" neighborhoods are the norm.

Talk to movers about budget, but as far as how much to budget for once you arrive (assuming you arrive without jobs): expect to be out of work for quite a long time. The economy seems to be getting a little better, but it's still rough and I still know a lot of people in LA looking for work right now. Plan for the worst (and hope for the best).

When we moved (from DC) we drove. I enjoyed that; it was a long drive, but the coast-to-coast on the ground driving experience is something that everyone should get a chance to experience some time in life. (would love to go back and take time to really go slowly along the way, but that will have to wait for some other year...)

Other advice: ask about refrigerators (and any other appliances) when you look at apartments. LA is the only place I've ever lived where it's not a given that they'll come with the apartment. Or, as was the case of several of the places we looked at (and one of the places we rented), there will be a refrigerator there when you move in (left by former tenants, usually), but you're on your own if it breaks down or needs replacement.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 PM

736 posts, read 2,296,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyDR View Post

We would appreciate any advice regarding where/how to look for work and neighborhoods to live in.

Additional info if it helps:

-We are looking to rent, not buy. Is it possible to find something for $800/mo. or less for a 1br?
-We have no kids, no pets. No plans for either in the near future.
-We are Hispanic and open to living in multi-racial/ethnic areas.

ANY other tips/warning/suggestions/personal stories are welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

One of the best sources for finding housing/apartments in Los Angeles is craigslist. Oh sure, you'll find some slum landlords posting there but you'll find plenty of good deals there too.

As of 2008, Los Angeles County was approx. 48% Hispanic/Latino. The City of LA probably has a higher percentage than the county, but I don't have those numbers. So you are likely to feel at home no matter where you live.

I agree that at $800/month you will have an easier time finding a studio. That said, if you are willing to live in a less desirable part of the city $800 is NOT impossible.

On your budget you might consider NORTH HOLLYWOOD....which is not TOO pricey and is close to many entertainment related jobs (in Burbank, Universal City, Studio City, etc).

NoHo as it is called has been under going revitalization over the last 10 years. It is not the most exciting or hip neighborhood but it is worth considering. It has the added benefit of being near LA's subway, called the Red Line.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM

Get ready to leave behind those humid Miami summers....warm but pleasant, dry summers are LA's specialty.

The downside is you'll never want to jump in the ocean here...as it is FREEZING compared to the warm gulf stream waters of SoFla. Hopefully, you be too busy working to mind!!

Old 04-07-2010, 04:01 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,974,610 times
Screw the cold part, just get a wetsuit to avoid that but LA county beaches for the most part are gross.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Screw the cold part, just get a wetsuit to avoid that but LA county beaches for the most part are gross.

I disagree....Zuma Beach, Malibu, Mahattan Beach, Redondo Beach are all VERY nice.

At least LA has a beach....I didn't see any out there in the IE last time I drove out there. Of course, the smog was so bad I couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of me!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,974,610 times
I go to Orange County to surf.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I disagree....Zuma Beach, Malibu, Mahattan Beach, Redondo Beach are all VERY nice.

At least LA has a beach....I didn't see any out there in the IE last time I drove out there. Of course, the smog was so bad I couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of me!!!
Zuma and much of Malibu are very nice.

Santa Monica Bay beaches are pretty disgusting even though the beach cities of L.A. County are good places to live in general (and, yes, including Venice!)

Old 04-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Let's try to keep on topic....this is a couple in the entertainment business relocating from Miami.

The OP didn't ask us for beach reviews.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles