Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 AM

26 posts, read 80,068 times

Advertisements

I am attending to Claremont Graduate University from this summer. My wife and I are considering purchasing a small condo/townhouse (1BR~2BR) in a hopefully quiet neighborhood that would allow me to commute to school within a 30-40 mins drive during rush hour. So far, We like Rancho Cucamonga (North of Foothill Blvd as many people suggest), mainly because of our limited budget, which is around $170,000. We have also found some inexpensive condos in Diamond Bar (near fwy 57 and golf course). Are we looking for the right neighborhoods? Are there any areas/streets in each neighborhood where we should avoid? Are there any other neighborhoods that we should look into? We are both Asians, moving from New York City, and would prefer to live in a quiet and diversity community. Any advice/inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
You can probably afford a condo in those areas for around 170. However, one thing you need to consider is the HOA fees most of these condos will charge. They usually charge 200 a month. So, thats like buying a condo for 190k instead of 170. Like you said, keep N of Foothill in Rancho. Diamond Bar from what I know is much more miss or hit but most of the city is good.

If you don't mind driving a bit more, you could buy a home in San Bernardino or Rialto for about 170k. I'd wait til next month to look at home prices. The prices are going to drop next month due to the 8k credit ending next week.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
You can probably afford a condo in those areas for around 170. However, one thing you need to consider is the HOA fees most of these condos will charge. They usually charge 200 a month. So, thats like buying a condo for 190k instead of 170. Like you said, keep N of Foothill in Rancho. Diamond Bar from what I know is much more miss or hit but most of the city is good.

If you don't mind driving a bit more, you could buy a home in San Bernardino or Rialto for about 170k. I'd wait til next month to look at home prices. The prices are going to drop next month due to the 8k credit ending next week.
Thanks for your input, Dub D. I will take a look at those neighbors that you mentioned, too.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
San Bernardino is a very large city. I dont know too much about it myself but the area I suggest is by Cal State San Bernardino. I almost got a house there. Newer homes, suburia style.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:19 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,985,177 times
Diamond Bar is fine ... I was looking at several properties last year, but got out-priced in every instance. So I bought next door in the Phillips Ranch area of Pomona. Similar atmosphere, same schools, same safety, more racially diverse, but at a lower price.

But yeah, watch out for the HOA fees. That's what prompted me to opt for a house instead; YMMV, of course, but for me, it was just over $300 difference a month between a 2/2 condo w/HOA or a 4/3 house that's 750 sq.ft. larger with a real backyard for the (future) kids.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks guys for valuable information. I would definitely think of the Phillips Ranch in Pomona, too. The more search I do, the more confused I get. haha. Some people in other threads also say that San Dimas, Glendora, and La Verne are safe and quiet, too. Those areas are, I believe, not too far away from Claremont. If anyone knows about the areas, any inputs would be appreciated. San Bernardino has less expensive properties (Hope it's not related to how safe the neighbor is....), but only my concern is a distance from Claremont.

I will watch out for the HOA fees... It's true that adding $200-$300/month would make a big difference in a monthly mortgage payment.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Ok, so I found several properties which fall into my budget, but do not know if they are located in a good area. I was wondering if somebody is familiar with the following locations and willing to provide me with inputs/advice:

1. 22800 Hilton Head Dr, Diamond Bar 91765
- More than five condos are available along this street

2. 12584 ATWOOD Ct, Rancho Cucamonga, 91739
- More than five condos are available at this address

3.1089 West PINE St Unit E Upland, 91786 - Google Maps
- One block north of Foothill Blvd

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 PM

7 posts, read 11,476 times
I grew up in Diamond Bar and still living there. It is a VERY safe town. I would recommend staying on the South side because of Walnut School District opposed to Pomona School District. (Property values are higher because of the Walnut school district). The hilton head community in Diamond Bar are nice, but they are more like apartments than condos. (Very small and on top of each other)

Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyongHoe View Post
I would definitely think of the Phillips Ranch in Pomona, too. Some people in other threads also say that San Dimas, Glendora, and La Verne are safe and quiet, too.
Those are all good areas.

Quote:
San Bernardino has less expensive properties (Hope it's not related to how safe the neighbor is....), but only my concern is a distance from Claremont.
Avoid San Bernardino...it's too far away from everything, too far to drive from Claremont, and if you're a graduate student you'd have little in common with your neighbors there.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 PM

Thanks, jcutiex3 & CA4NOW! I will focus on Rancho Cucamonga, Diamond Bar, as well as good areas in Pomona such as Phillips Ranch, Ganesha Park, etc, if I can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles