Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:56 PM

79 posts, read 238,387 times

Advertisements

I want to know what everybody feels about the housing market pricing in Los Angeles. I Have been looking on and off for the past few years and have noticed that prices have dropped however they seemed to have leveled off in the past few months. I'm wanting to know if you think the prices will still continue to drop more into 2011 being that california is broke and still is making tons of layoffs left and right or if the housing market will start to rise now being the federal tax credit for first time buyers has now past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
I don't think an army of PhDs and MBAs knows what is going to happen.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
my guess it that things may drop a bit more, but will probably remain stagnant for some time as government subsidies go away and interest rates slowly begin to increase.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Yeah timing wise it will be interesting to see which way the housing market goes being the latest statistic regarding housing sales going up was only driven by people trying to make the first time home owner credit deadline. Now that has past we'll see the which way the housing market goes now.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosa View Post
Yeah timing wise it will be interesting to see which way the housing market goes being the latest statistic regarding housing sales going up was only driven by people trying to make the first time home owner credit deadline. Now that has past we'll see the which way the housing market goes now.
Well, remember that even though the Federal tax credit is gone, the new CA state tax credit will be in effect until the end of this year.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosa View Post
...was only driven....

by people trying to make the first time home owner credit deadline. Now that has past we'll see the which way the housing market goes now.
Some people think the statistics which indicate housing prices have risen (or not fallen) are based on median prices which can go up if the mix of homes shifts towards more expensive homes. This can occur even if all homes have lower market values.

Does anyone know of any neighborhoods where the market values have actually increased in the past year? If so, there probably aren't too many of them.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:23 PM

I called and checked on both the federal and state tax credit. Because the Federal tax credit is backed by the Irs/fed government anybody who made the deadline will get the credit unlike the state which is like the cash for clunkers program being that there is only an alloted amount for that so its more of a first come first serve basis on the state credit. Once that money is exhausted, regardless of deadline you may or may not see any of it.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
Quote:
Does anyone know of any neighborhoods where the market values have actually increased in the past year? If so, there probably aren't too many of them.
Depending on your price range, it has increased quite a bit. The areas I was looking into and the price range I can afford doesn't even come up on the MLS search anymore. Plenty did over last summer with less and less when I finally got a home in Nov.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:39 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't think an army of PhDs and MBAs knows what is going to happen.

Plenty of thoughtful posts in this thread...but this one is probably the MOST accurate! From Charles...the native son who relocated a few years back.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,769,405 times
For what it's worth, PMI Mortgage Insurance Co. assigns a risk factor to each metropolitan area in the U.S., representing the likelihood that house prices will decline further over the next two years. They gave LA a 99.9% risk rating, the same rating as Las Vegas and Miami:

Economic and Real Estate Trends (ERET)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles