Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 10,368 times

Advertisements

We live in Lafayette, Louisiana. But, we are not Cajuns, Creoles, or Coon-asses or Rednecks. My husband is of Scot-English descent, and is New England blue-blood. And, I am the third generation of German-Russian immigrants who settled in Colorado. We were transferred here some 31 years ago, and have made some tough decisions regarding leaving or staying. After receiving transfer orders to move to Houston, Lafayette suddenly looked good to us.

If one has to live in Louisiana, living within the city of Lafayette is probably the best. The crime rate is relatively low, the schools are okay (depending upon your location, and there is the choice of going private if you have bright kids), pollution is lower than it is elsewhere in Louisiana, and the cost of living is lower than either New England or Colorado, which leaves us money to travel.

Last edited by snowsbunny; 09-10-2007 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: after thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,368 times
What I have said about Lafayette, Louisiana should be considered if you are thinking about moving to New Orleans.

When I attended conferences at Tulane before Katrina, I could not find the address for the Bed and Breakfast which was nearby. Knocking on doors, I found myself ignored. People of New Orleans are afraid of strangers, afraid of answering their doors at night, triple or quadruple lock their doors during the day and night, and for outsiders trying to find their way, this is also terrifying.

Then there is the pollution from before and after Katrina. Landfills, incinerators, oil refineries and chemical plants poison the soil and poisons run off site with the potential to enter the properties of neighbors. This increases the risks of cancers, neurological, immunological, and other diseases to pets, children, and adults living downwind or downstream from such facilities.

Independent studies have found that communities high in pollution, also have high crime rates. Perhaps, that's why Lafayette is a safer place in which to live. Our pollution is considerably lower than the Greater New Orleans area.

Consider this when deciding where to move if you are coming to Louisiana.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,854,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsbunny View Post
We live in Lafayette, Louisiana. But, we are not Cajuns, Creoles, or Coon-asses or Rednecks. My husband is of Scot-English descent, and is New England blue-blood. And, I am the third generation of German-Russian immigrants who settled in Colorado. We were transferred here some 31 years ago, and have made some tough decisions regarding leaving or staying. After receiving transfer orders to move to Houston, Lafayette suddenly looked good to us.

If one has to live in Louisiana, living within the city of Lafayette is probably the best. The crime rate is relatively low, the schools are okay (depending upon your location, and there is the choice of going private if you have bright kids), pollution is lower than it is elsewhere in Louisiana, and the cost of living is lower than either New England or Colorado, which leaves us money to travel.
Hmm, we had some distant family move from Lafayette to Sugar Land (Houston suburb) a few months ago, and since then can't shut up about how much nicer Houston is...

Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM

10 posts, read 53,765 times
Smile A Louisianaian!!

Hi, you are consider a registered coon-ass or a louisianaian!! Good Luck to you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Since I am looking to move that way, Louisiana has been the topic of conversation at dinner the last few nights. An interesting question came up... What are you if you are from Louisiana?

For example, someone from California is a Californian, someone from New Mexico is a New Mexican, etc... What is the correct term for someone from Louisiana?

Louisianian? Louisian? Neither of those sounded right to me. My mom says say Cajun, but I thought Cajuns were their own group within Louisiana's population. Sorry if this seems like a really dumb question, but it has been on my mind for a couple of days.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Hmm, we had some distant family move from Lafayette to Sugar Land (Houston suburb) a few months ago, and since then can't shut up about how much nicer Houston is...
You cannot adequately compare the two, for trying to is like comparing a marble to a basketball.

Glad your relatives are happier, but (no pun intended) it's all relative. Just because it is nicer to them doesn't make it nicer in reality - only in THEIR reality.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmlvs_stjude View Post
Hi, you are consider a registered coon-ass or a louisianaian!! Good Luck to you!!
I know you meant this as a friendly joke, but again, I don't want to see someone from outside of Louisiana misunderstand this...

"Coonass" is a nickname, derogatory to some Cajuns – enjoyed by others. There is no such ethic group by this name.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:19 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Creole from what I can tell is not a definite term.
Some say it's mixed Spanish and African heritage, French/African or originally it was just French heritage no African?
I cannot tell and I'm taking a Louisiana history class at Tulane right now.
"Creole" is a term that's changed meanings with the years. Originally, it meant someone of French descent born in the Americas. Josephine de Beauharnais, the empress of Napoleon, was called a Creole because she was born in Martinique to French parents. Later, the word Creole came to mean anyone in the French-speaking communities of Louisiana, and a lot of those people happened to be mixed race, French and Spanish with African. Cajun is a bit more specific, because that term refers to the descendants of Acadian settlers from Canada.

Louisianans can be from Cajun stock, or African, or Creole, or Scots-Irish, or English, or Native American, or any imaginable combination of all of the above.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,732 times
all of my family are called Redbones from my part of south central la. Some indian with other mixes, they are dark complected and dark hair,

Old 09-20-2007, 09:57 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,875 times
Yes, the Redbones are another Mestee group of Louisiana. Mestee groups are racially mixed groups of people in the Deep South who tended to live together and formed their own communities. Some Mestee groups are Cajuns, Creoles, Redbones, Lumbees, Melungeons, Brass Ankles, etc. A couple of the Mestee peoples are found as far north as New York, but almost all of them lived in the Appalachias, Louisiana, Missisippi, or Alabama. Some identify more with the whites, others with blacks, and some (like the Lumbees) are trying to be recognized as Indian tribes. They are a testament to the complex and rich history of the Southern US. My grandmother was a Melungeon, the rest of my ancestors were white. There is an excellent essay on the Mestee peoples here.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 10,269 times
A Louisiananians, thats what we are. Cajuns are only from the swamp areas. Same as Coon asses. But most of the time when people ask where we are from, we tell them New Orleans due to pride. If indeed you are. Then you are a New Orleanean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana