Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 02:36 PM

560 posts, read 1,714,987 times

Advertisements

Since I am looking to move that way, Louisiana has been the topic of conversation at dinner the last few nights. An interesting question came up... What are you if you are from Louisiana?

For example, someone from California is a Californian, someone from New Mexico is a New Mexican, etc... What is the correct term for someone from Louisiana?

Louisianian? Louisian? Neither of those sounded right to me. My mom says say Cajun, but I thought Cajuns were their own group within Louisiana's population. Sorry if this seems like a really dumb question, but it has been on my mind for a couple of days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 06:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Since I am looking to move that way, Louisiana has been the topic of conversation at dinner the last few nights. An interesting question came up... What are you if you are from Louisiana?

For example, someone from California is a Californian, someone from New Mexico is a New Mexican, etc... What is the correct term for someone from Louisiana?

Louisianian? Louisian? Neither of those sounded right to me. My mom says say Cajun, but I thought Cajuns were their own group within Louisiana's population. Sorry if this seems like a really dumb question, but it has been on my mind for a couple of days.
Your first guess is the right one "Louisianaians" - it'll roll off your tongue a little better after you get used to it.

For the record, you are right about Cajuns - they are direct descendents of the French people exiled from Nova Scotia in the 1700's. Although many of us from Louisiana would love to be able to consider ourselves Cajun, most of us aren't that lucky

Old 07-21-2007, 07:26 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
Not a dumb question at all, Mdmagana. It has me wondering about what others call their towns. For example Mom is from the Bunkie area, what do people from Bunkie call themselves?

Old 07-21-2007, 11:06 PM

560 posts, read 1,714,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your first guess is the right one "Louisianaians" - it'll roll off your tongue a little better after you get used to it.

For the record, you are right about Cajuns - they are direct descendents of the French people exiled from Nova Scotia in the 1700's. Although many of us from Louisiana would love to be able to consider ourselves Cajun, most of us aren't that lucky

Thakns for the feedback. That does not roll off my tounge easily at all! LOL. I'll get used to it I guess.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 PM

28 posts, read 96,766 times
Creoles, Cajuns, Rednecks, & Coonass, Are All Popular Titles That Different Types Of Louisianians Use To Describe Themselves.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 38,248 times
Default Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post

People in South Louisiana are usually Cajuns, Creoles or Coonasses. I have cousins in Lake Charles and Hackberry and we call them Coonasses.. Don't know where that word originated but thats what they are called. People of the Northern region of Louisiana are a little different in lifestyles and accent when speaking,, like two different states. The North are more country and some call themselves rednecks. We are all Louisianians and our hospitality to our fellow Americans is well, just plain Southern hospitality.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjarrn View Post
People in South Louisiana are usually Cajuns, Creoles or Coonasses. I have cousins in Lake Charles and Hackberry and we call them Coonasses.. Don't know where that word originated but thats what they are called. People of the Northern region of Louisiana are a little different in lifestyles and accent when speaking,, like two different states. The North are more country and some call themselves rednecks. We are all Louisianians and our hospitality to our fellow Americans is well, just plain Southern hospitality.

I hate to be a stickler for details, but these are important details!

As I stated earlier, “Cajuns” are direct descendents of the French people exiled from Nova Scotia in the 1700’s – the Acadians.

Creoles are people of mixed ethnicity who are direct descendents of slaves who bought their freedom and then married amongst the Spanish and Portuguese settlers to New Orleans during the 1700 and early 1800’s.

Coonass is a nickname, derogatory to some Cajuns – enjoyed by others. But there is no such ethic group by this name.

Believe me, there are plenty of other ethnic groups in Louisiana - not everyone is lucky enough to be a Cajun or a Creole

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-02-2007 at 09:07 PM..

Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
"Coonass is a nickname, derogatory to some Cajuns"

Ooh did this nic bother my Dad! I guess it's because back in the late 1800's when my Great Grandmother moved to the city Cajuns were made fun of as hick country folk. I was called a Coonass in a derogatory way once, believe me not only was it a shocker, it was very offensive. After that I understood why Dad didn't like the term.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:23 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,342 times
"Coonass" or "Coony" is kinda funny, because some Cajuns hate it and others love it. I met a Cajun woman the other day who insisted on being called a coonass, so it's really a personal thing.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:43 PM

595 posts, read 2,343,902 times
Creole from what I can tell is not a definite term.
Some say it's mixed Spanish and African heritage, French/African or originally it was just French heritage no African?
I cannot tell and I'm taking a Louisiana history class at Tulane right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana