Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 14,408 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving to LA. It will be either Shreveport, Baton Rouge, or New Orleans/Mandeville. We have school age kids. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about any of those areas and the school districts. Any other information on theses areas would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 164,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieMc26 View Post
We are possibly moving to LA. It will be either Shreveport, Baton Rouge, or New Orleans/Mandeville. We have school age kids. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about any of those areas and the school districts. Any other information on theses areas would be helpful.

I live close to Mandeville, The school district is very good from what I have heard from friends. New Orleans and Baton Rouge, I would not suggest. Unless you're looking at private schooling.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:27 PM

76 posts, read 507,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieMc26 View Post
The public schools in New Orleans are overall really bad, except for rare schools like Ben Franklin High, which is the top rated public high school in the state. Most of the students attend private schools, usually Catholic. Some of the schools, like Jesuit and Newman, have good reputations that are known around the country. The public schools in Jefferson are a little better than Orleans. St. Tammany, where Mandeville is located,has excellent public schools. St. Charles Parish, another New Orleans suburb, also has a good public school system.

Shreveport's public schools are overall bad. Bossier's schools are much better, and Bossier has a much higher quality of life than Shreveport.

Baton Rouge's public schools are also bad. The Zachary system, which was carved out of Baton Rouge, is tops in the state.

Here is each school district's performance score ranking in 2004-2005. These were the last rankings before Katrina. http://www.louisianaschools.net/lde/uploads/8604.pdf

Zachary Community School District-ranked first.
St. Tammany-ranked second.
St. Charles-ranked 8th.
Bossier-ranked 15th
West Baton Rouge-ranked 29th.
Caddo-ranked 44th.
Jefferson-ranked 53rd.
East Baton Rouge-ranked 56th.
Orleans-ranked 67th.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the info.!!! Hopefully, we will get more specific information on where we are going this week.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,548 times
Default Baton Rouge

Just a little note to you-we have l ived in Baton Rouge for 3 years and love it. it changed a bit after the hurricanes, but overall, has almost gotten back to normal as far as traffic etc. We have a 4 year old daughter that loves it here as well. There are many activities for children including gymnastics, all types of sports, many summer camps to choose from and so many play places I cannot even think of them all. Also we have Blue Bayou a family waterpark that is a lot of fun. AS far as schools, our child attends a private school and we would cut off our right arm to keep her in private. Public schools here are terrible as far as I have heard, but have never truly looked into them as we knew private was for us. LSU is here and that keeps a lot of kids busy in sports related activities and I have never seen such polite children than here in Louisiana-especially Baton Rouge(we moved from Florid and the kids there are not the same!) I wish you luck in your search. Also a great family neighborhood in bR is Woodridge, I would high,y recommend that area as we have 2 sets of friends that live there and we are moving there ourselves. it is a very family and pet friendly neighborhood! Good Luck to you!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,548 times
Default addendum

I have afriend that lives in Mandeville and she said it is more crowded than Baton Rouge and a lot of very rude people there now compared to before Katrina-just and FYI

Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Public schools are probably the only way can go. We have a child with Special Education issues, ADD and APD. It took us several years to get her a special education plan here in VA. The other child seems to be GREAT education wise but there is no way we can afford private for both, plus independant services we need for our daughter with the above mentioned disabilities. Does anyone know anything about Special Education in LA - speech/language, etc.? Thanks so much!!! I hope we know where we are going this week. I also, hope everyone is as friendly in LA as on this site. Thanks again!!!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 03:39 PM

155 posts, read 766,902 times
With a special needs child you'll need to research carefully. I know someone who is struggling right now with the public school system in Denham Springs (20 miles from Baton Rouge). They insist on mainstreaming her 7 year old son who has various learning disabilities. The teachers aren't equipped to handle children like that and when they disrupt class they're sent home. So much for education.

There is a school in Baton Rouge for special needs children, but it's expensive and I know nothing about it's track record.

Hope Academy of Baton Rouge (http://hopeacademybr.org/m_28.asp - broken link)

Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 23,658 times
Bossier Parish schools are great...I have one in middle and one in elementary. I am also familiar with some special needs teachers in the system. If you move to Bossier or Benton, I will be glad to put you in touch with them. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM

13 posts, read 84,428 times
Shreveport schools are bad, bad, bad. And New Orleans is much worse. If you do chance move to New Orleans, I highly suggest putting your child into a private school there. It's worth the trouble.

Over all, if you have kids, and you're looking to move for their sake, I highly suggest moving to somewhere like Keithville (suburb/Shreveport) or some place like Ruston/Monroe. The crime is far less, and the schools are much safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana