Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:30 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Houston on two separate occasions. I was sad to leave each time, but I just wasn't making it there. The things people required for you to be employed there just seemed unreasonable to me. I had a job paying $2200 a month when I was 23, and they wanted me to wear a tie to work every day. It was a job in finance and when I mentioned that I had left my previous job in the same industry in Houston because they had pushed me to do illegal stuff, the recruiter's answer was something along the lines of "we don't encourage you to break the law here but don't be surprised if it's all around you". I got into training and all anybody wanted to talk about was how Jesus had saved them from drugs. It was just too much. I bummed around for a few months, dreaming of New Orleans the whole time. Finally made it back home. I can do basically the same thing here for more money and nobody cares how I dress or whether I'm interested in giving them a "testimony" or something. New Orleans may be a love it or leave it kind of place, but Houston, to me, was a "don't question my authority" kind of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rider View Post

You can ask ten native houstonians if they'd ever move to LA and nine of them will look at you like you're nuts.
From the people I've met, all ten would look at you like you're nuts. But thats fine..

Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 PM

189 posts, read 213,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
From the people I've met, all ten would look at you like you're nuts. But thats fine..
on second thought, you're right

Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rider View Post
on second thought, you're right

More food for us..

Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
I'd love nothing more than for Louisianans to stay here and for the state to keep its best and brightest, but for so many people, in whatever field they are in, Texas becomes the only available option. Like I said earlier several branches of my family tree reside in the Golden Triangle and a few more in the Dallas area; enough of our people went to southeast Texas at one time or another to where you now see boudin and crawfish there. I am usually pissed when I see take offs of Louisiana culture in places where it doesn't belong, but this no take off; this is evidence of a large community that took some of its cool aspects with it, for both the "exiles" as well as the local Texans to enjoy. I never experienced any arrogance from Texas folk on their own turf, ironically I only hear snide remarks from Texans at LSU! So at the very least we have a "scene" to represent with real aspects of our culture and not some improvised imitation that only
disappoints those who actually know.

I do know my fair share of Texans who moved to Baton Rouge and Lafayette for college and never went home, but it's not even a blip on the map compared to the workforce moves that occur the other direction.

But I digress, there's no place like home.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 PM

189 posts, read 213,689 times
Well, after probably too much deliberation....I'm heading east. (for now, as I'll never say never)

Old 11-16-2011, 03:36 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,270 times
Been there done that, both Houston and Atlanta years ago, never say never, but never again.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,712 times
I like Louisiana better, too!

I moved to Houston during Katrina, but moved back a year ago. I moved with my boyfriend so... can't help ya on that. But take a chance and come back home.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaGumbo View Post
I like Louisiana better, too!

I moved to Houston during Katrina, but moved back a year ago. I moved with my boyfriend so... can't help ya on that. But take a chance and come back home.
Nice to hear.... just as I'm being transferred to Houston from Lafayette...

Taking a positive outlook. There are far worse places to relocate.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
Nice to hear.... just as I'm being transferred to Houston from Lafayette...

Taking a positive outlook. There are far worse places to relocate.
Even though it's so close to home, it feels like a world away. You'll be working at Hobby or IAH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana