Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 12,097 times

Advertisements

I've got a possible job offer in Houma (lots of traveling though). Just hoping to get some info from people who have lived or do live there now.

Two things that jump right out at me from a little research is that for a fairly small place it has a lot of stores there. Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, Sams Club, a couple of Walmarts etc. but there appears to be only one good size grocer - Rouses (other than Walmarts Super Center and Sams Club. Maybe Houma is a center for some surrounding areas.

The other thing is that all of the apartments I have been able to find reviews on have terrible reviews - all of them. I want a decent apartment in the area.

Aside from that I'm hoping people are friendly, crime isn't that bad and I can keep the bugs outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 PM

105 posts, read 234,860 times
I'm not all that familiar with the area, but I would live in Houma over New Orleans anyday. It's a great culture with friendly people. Look up realtors and they can give you some info if you were curious about making a permanent long-term move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnectedTraveler View Post
I've got a possible job offer in Houma (lots of traveling though). Just hoping to get some info from people who have lived or do live there now.

Two things that jump right out at me from a little research is that for a fairly small place it has a lot of stores there. Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, Sams Club, a couple of Walmarts etc. but there appears to be only one good size grocer - Rouses (other than Walmarts Super Center and Sams Club. Maybe Houma is a center for some surrounding areas.

The other thing is that all of the apartments I have been able to find reviews on have terrible reviews - all of them. I want a decent apartment in the area.

Aside from that I'm hoping people are friendly, crime isn't that bad and I can keep the bugs outside.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 AM

455 posts, read 899,209 times
I was born and raised there, but I haven't been there for at least 14 years. I'm sure a lot has changed since I was last there, but I would venture to guess that a few things will have remained the same.

Chiefly, if you want to be in a better area, start your search on the West side. East side of the tunnel is generally where all the nastiness is, although the West side is not totally void of it either.

The only apartment I stayed at there was Chateau Creole. I wouldn't recommend it. Generally, the more money you pay per month, the better off you'll probably be. Can't speak to any other apartments there.

Regarding crime, you should be fine. I grew up on the East side right near the tunnel and it was a crap area even back then. Although, should you ever find yourself near the high rise and Stovall street, I would recommend a detour, although a parade route goes right through that general area.

Regarding bugs, bring insect repellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana