Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
It's still out there, however, most of it is in the east part. Like an earlier post said, there used to be a heavy amount of it in the Lafayette and N.O. areas. However, Some of it is in the country towns like New Iberia, opelousas. And the fact that it kind of started fading after WWII.

About the time of the rise if national radio networks and television ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
"patroi" is not the same across the state. it changes from parrish to parrish.
a determined effort was made to teach state wide parisian french-- with mixed success.
the educated people in louisiana speak parisian french, the rest-- its a hit and miss.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 12,296 times
My relatives in Terrebonne Parish speak Cajun French. I grew up in Dulac.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 23,260 times
Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I live in the city (New Orleans), and I speak Cajun French. My mama and my dad's parents are all Cajun, and I've spoken it since I was little. My mom, she's from Leeville, and my dad's family is from Abbeville. Right now, I'm 17 and I love my language. I have a lot of cousins around the same age who speak French. I don't know why the language has to disappear... I'm gonna teach it to my kids...

Last edited by knoxgarden; 01-28-2010 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: English only, per TOS

Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Not sure about Cajun French, but I run across Kreyol Lwizian (Louisiana Creole) from time to time.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,404 times
I'm sure I've told this story here before, but it's not on this thread so... I used to work out at the airport, (a million years ago), for a car rental place. There were two old men who used to work on the cars, one a Cajun and the other a Creole. Both spoke their own kind of French, but they seemed to understand one another. One day I asked and they told me that while some of it was different they could understand one another.

Anyways, this elderly couple pulls in one day and they tell me they are from France and apparently have little to no English in their vocabulary. I get this brilliant flash and call for the Cajun and Creole where they proceed to try to talk with this couple. Try being the operative word. The guys told me that they could barely understand the French couple, but managed to communicate to them where they were to go. They did say that they seemed like a nice couple and then went back to their part of the lot. From what I gather the Cajun & Creole French have a lot more in common than France French.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
"patroi" is not the same across the state. it changes from parrish to parrish.
a determined effort was made to teach state wide parisian french-- with mixed success.
the educated people in louisiana speak parisian french, the rest-- its a hit and miss.
Parish is spelled with one " r " , and I'm not sure where you get that business about educated people here speaking Parisian French .

Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
I'm sure I've told this story here before, but it's not on this thread so... I used to work out at the airport, (a million years ago), for a car rental place. There were two old men who used to work on the cars, one a Cajun and the other a Creole. Both spoke their own kind of French, but they seemed to understand one another. One day I asked and they told me that while some of it was different they could understand one another.

Anyways, this elderly couple pulls in one day and they tell me they are from France and apparently have little to no English in their vocabulary. I get this brilliant flash and call for the Cajun and Creole where they proceed to try to talk with this couple. Try being the operative word. The guys told me that they could barely understand the French couple, but managed to communicate to them where they were to go. They did say that they seemed like a nice couple and then went back to their part of the lot. From what I gather the Cajun & Creole French have a lot more in common than France French.
Dead on!. Everything from the articles, to conjugation and spelling in "Louisiana French" differ from "France French". The Louisiana versions are broken down into improper (I guess that's the right word) forms, and were then adapted in changed over the years.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Default Cajun Grammar

Not exactly. It's not been broken improperly, it's just not been standardized. Most things that you find in Cajun French you can find over there in France in the more informal conversation. All the articles, except for some ways to say "they" are used in more informal conversation. For example, "ej" or "j'" for "I" are fairly common. "Ti" instead of "Tu" and "Y" or "Il" can be universally understood.
Cajun has dropped verb tenses that are overcomplicated or just unnecessary in everyday life. The future tense in Cajun is a compound tense consisting of article + to go + verb, so instead of saying "J'irai" for "I will go" or "Je travaillerai" in Classic French, we say "J'vas aller" and "J'vas travailler". This is actually a fairly common evolutionary attribute of modern language and is prevalent in Louisiana French.
One must remember that before there was so called standardized "Classic" or "Parisian" French (whatever name is preferred), the French language was actually a rough collection of mutually (sometimes not) intelligible languages grouped together in the "Langue d"Oil"(oil is actually pronounced as "oui") family and another more distant family called "Langue d'Oc". Most of these language still exist marginally in France. Cajun French is the descendant of the spoken languages of Anjou and Poitou, France. Since the colonist left France before any standardization processes were in effect, the language has evolved independent of Standard French. That's why the syntax, grammar, vocabulary, loanwords from contact groups, and accent of Cajun are so unique. It makes for a very pleasant melange I feel .
Creole has a bit of different story behind it hahaha. It's just living alongside eachother for so long, we are used to the way eachother speaks. It's kind of like how whites can understand African American Vernacular English and vise versa.

I hope this has been helpful. Any questions? haha

Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 PM

Sorry, I confused pronouns and articles haha. The articles are the exact same in Cajun as in Parisian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana