Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:23 AM

144 posts, read 205,215 times

Advertisements

Louisiana is ranked as the happiest state in America
Louisiana ranks as happiest state | NOLA.com

Louisiana has the best food in the nation
Best Food Town | Lafayette Convention & Visitors Commission
Best US Cities For Food - Best Food Cities In America

Louisiana is a Sportsman Paradise- no link needed to provide the obvious.
Louisiana is the home to LSU- the greatest university in the history of the universe.
Louisiana is one of the most religious states around and the cost for a Christian education is far cheaper than most places.. Those facts alone makes us greatness in and of itself.
Louisiana has more festivals and entertainment than anywhere else and second place isn't even close.
Louisiana has some of the friendliest people in America.
Louisiana is in the Deep South- the best part of America by a mile.
Louisiana's cost of living is very affordable.

When you take into account everything we have here, I personally see no reason to ever leave this state unless you want to head to the beaches of Mississippi or Alabama. But that's just me. If you don't like the bayou, then hit the road jack, and don't ya come back no more, no more, no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:31 AM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Without a doubt...Louisiana is a great place to play and party!! Great food, festivals, outdoor resources and all those things that make for a great place to visit. BUT.....

EDUCATION: Louisiana ranks near the bottom in education.... 2011 survey by US Chamber of Commerce puts us at the bottom of the 50 states but ahead of the District of Columbia. Thanks to budget cuts...it's going to continue to get worse.
Louisiana ranks poorly in national education assessment

HEALTHCARE: Louisiana consistently ranks poorly on Healthcare (Number 48) Just one of many surveys as proof.
Louisiana Annual State Health Rankings - 2014 America

OBESITY: With all the good-times and emphasis on food, it's no surprise that Louisiana ranks #6 among most obese states in the nation. Rates of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, stroke and related illness is on the rise in Louisiana. Think about that next time you ask for a second helping. Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

ECONOMY: Louisiana currently ranks #47 on Unemployment
Unemployment Rates for States

POLLUTION: Looks like Louisiana ranks #11 in highest releases of chemicals to the environment.
Pollution Rankings: By State

Sure we could make arguments pro & con, look at other factors. BUT... the major takeaway is that if all we look at is how much food is on our plates, huntin' & fishin' and watching LSU play ball and lower property values.... then I'd say the focus on what makes a state a great place to live is very biased and narrow. Quality of life is measured more than what's on your plate or what festival is coming up or who's in the play-offs.... If kids can't get a good education to compete in the ever-changing world that has high competition for jobs...they'll wind up scraping by. If better-paying jobs don't increase, lower-wages will be the norm. And if you or someone you know gets sick in this state and doesn't have the resources to cover costs... OR access to higher quality of health care....they're screwed, plain and simple.

No one is knocking the state for having great hospitality, outdoor resources and natural beauty. But without a better educated populace to think critically instead of emotionally, then people will continue to keep electing the kind political leadership that keeps Louisiana near the bottom.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 04-10-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 02:08 PM

144 posts, read 205,215 times
I will kindly address your concerns.

EDUCATION
The public school education is broken everywhere. The US government has been dumbing down education for 30 years. Go read Brave New Schools and you will be shocked at what you read. Private schools and home school is the best option whether in Louisiana or anywhere else.

HEALTHCARE
Insurance companies are the same no matter what state you live in. Aetna, Blue Cross, etc is the same in Louisiana as it is whatever state is ranked #1.

OBESITY:
It's a Michelle Obama argument and she and her husband are wrong on just about everything. You or I cannot control what people eat or their diet. It would be nice if every parish had a St Tammany Trace in its backyard, but we don't. Maybe we can put that on the to-do list.

ECONOMY:
I blame the liberals here. All of the government handouts we give to folks explains why unemployment is so high. Being that Louisiana is conservative, I cant blame the good folks of this state for supporting the welfare state.

POLLUTION:
I put pollution in the category of who gives a flip. Yes the industrialized areas in the cities have high pollution but I'm more of a fan of country living so it has no impact on me.

I will agree with you that the politicians from both political parties have hurt Louisiana badly. It's not the vault of the voter as we all know how little power the voters actually have. No matter who wins elections, the people are always screwed. Putting politics aside, there is no better place on God's green earth than right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Without a doubt...Louisiana is a great place to play and party!! Great food, festivals, outdoor resources and all those things that make for a great place to visit. BUT.....

EDUCATION: Louisiana ranks near the bottom in education.... 2011 survey by US Chamber of Commerce puts us at the bottom of the 50 states but ahead of the District of Columbia. Thanks to budget cuts...it's going to continue to get worse.
Louisiana ranks poorly in national education assessment

HEALTHCARE: Louisiana consistently ranks poorly on Healthcare (Number 48) Just one of many surveys as proof.
Louisiana Annual State Health Rankings - 2014 America

OBESITY: With all the good-times and emphasis on food, it's no surprise that Louisiana ranks #6 among most obese states in the nation. Rates of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, stroke and related illness is on the rise in Louisiana. Think about that next time you ask for a second helping. Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

ECONOMY: Louisiana currently ranks #47 on Unemployment
Unemployment Rates for States

POLLUTION: Looks like Louisiana ranks #11 in highest releases of chemicals to the environment.
Pollution Rankings: By State

Sure we could make arguments pro & con, look at other factors. BUT... the major takeaway is that if all we look at is how much food is on our plates, huntin' & fishin' and watching LSU play ball and lower property values.... then I'd say the focus on what makes a state a great place to live is very biased and narrow. Quality of life is measured more than what's on your plate or what festival is coming up or who's in the play-offs.... If kids can't get a good education to compete in the ever-changing world that has high competition for jobs...they'll wind up scraping by. If better-paying jobs don't increase, lower-wages will be the norm. And if you or someone you know gets sick in this state and doesn't have the resources to cover costs... OR access to higher quality of health care....they're screwed, plain and simple.

No one is knocking the state for having great hospitality, outdoor resources and natural beauty. But without a better educated populace to think critically instead of emotionally, then people will continue to keep electing the kind political leadership that keeps Louisiana near the bottom.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:19 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
If we improved what BTDT said, yes. If all of that could just get to about the middle of America instead of large swaths of what resemble the 3rd world, we'd be the greatest state for sure. Louisiana does have some really nice people, too bad they aren't in the State Capitol.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
If we improved what BTDT said, yes. If all of that could just get to about the middle of America instead of large swaths of what resemble the 3rd world, we'd be the greatest state for sure. Louisiana does have some really nice people, too bad they aren't in the State Capitol.
Absolutely! I have a lot of life-long friends here in Louisiana. Quite a few relatives too. There are a lot of nice folks in this state. It's just too bad that many have a very narrow point-of-view when it comes to what's really going on in and around our state. I heard a cousin complain that Obama is ruining the country the other day. I really wanted to know what they meant when they said that. Without going into play-by-play, I was amazed at how little they really know or appreciate about the current status-quo as far as the country is concerned. Instead of being free-thinkers, they simply follow the crowd and parrot whatever talk-radio or tv talkshow host tells them. Sorry folks but Obama isn't our biggest problem...it's ignorance and a lack of critical thinking skills that is our undoing here in Louisiana.

You can't blame liberals for what we're experiencing now because during last election, 2 out of 3 voters voted for Jindal and bought into his budgetary philosophy which in turn has been a disaster for all Louisianians.

Oh and blaming Michelle Obama for State Obesity Rate Measurement? Uh...excuse me but that info is based on comparative empirical data compiled by the Centers for Disease Control. They get their data from every state's dept. of health and hospitals. The stats don't lie... Louisiana is fatter and less-healthier than most states. Facts are stubborn things. To blame Michelle Obama for that is ridiculous and not worthy of argument.

Anyone who thinks that pollution doesn't affect people in rural areas...think again. A lot of illegal toxic dumping in water systems goes on all over our state. And there's considerable evidence mounting that fraccing for oil and gas isn't 100% safe either. If you drink water from a local source, you're ingesting contaminants. You think all these budget cuts won't affect your local water standards?

Healthcare isn't insurance...it's quality of care, access to quality healthcare, healthcare resources. Jindal's cuts have affected funding for clinics in rural areas. That's also affected long-term care resources as well. And recent audits indicate privatization of state-run clinics and hospitals have shown shortfalls and gaps that weren't there before.

Private schools are great if you can afford them. Unfortunately since many in Louisiana don't have the income levels to afford private schools, they have to rely on public education WHICH has become more about political nonsense than about solving the problem. First Jindal was pro-Common Core but because his uber conservative constituency was all up in arms about "federal overreach" (not even the case) he came out recently against it ....much to the dismay of his hand-picked head of state education, John White. Yep private education would be great but it's not a one-size-fits all. Not by a longshot.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 04-10-2015 at 08:13 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Absolutely! I have a lot of life-long friends here in Louisiana. Quite a few relatives too. There are a lot of nice folks in this state. It's just too bad that many have a very narrow point-of-view when it comes to what's really going on in and around our state. I heard a cousin complain that Obama is ruining the country the other day. I really wanted to know what they meant when they said that. Without going into play-by-play, I was amazed at how little they really know or appreciate about the current status-quo as far as the country is concerned. Instead of being free-thinkers, they simply follow the crowd and parrot whatever talk-radio or tv talkshow host tells them. Sorry folks but Obama isn't our biggest problem...it's ignorance and a lack of critical thinking skills that is our undoing here in Louisiana.
True dat! Talk radio rules up there, and stalemate politics and bureaucratic centers rule (ignores everybody that bothers them) down here.
Quote:
You can't blame liberals for what we're experiencing now because during last election, 2 out of 3 voters voted for Jindal and bought into his budgetary philosophy which in turn has been a disaster for all Louisianians.
Unfortunately blaming liberals means blaming Obama. They blamed Blanco for Katrina and relinquish Bush of all doubt but won't blame Jindal for the economy, instead ... we know where that argument goes.

Quote:
Oh and blaming Michelle Obama for State Obesity Rate Measurement? Uh...excuse me but that info is based on comparative empirical data compiled by the Centers for Disease Control. They get their data from every state's dept. of health and hospitals. The stats don't lie... Louisiana is fatter and less-healthier than most states. Facts are stubborn things. To blame Michelle Obama for that is ridiculous and not worthy of argument.
Well, that and I remember walking around a state full of obese people long before Obama. I'm thinking maybe even the Clinton or the Bush 41 ..

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that pollution doesn't affect people in rural areas...think again. A lot of illegal toxic dumping in water systems goes on all over our state. And there's considerable evidence mounting that fraccing for oil and gas isn't 100% safe either. If you drink water from a local source, you're ingesting contaminants. You think all these budget cuts won't affect your local water standards?
Great ... now their hallucinations and delusions are going to get stronger

Quote:
Healthcare isn't insurance...it's quality of care, access to quality healthcare, healthcare resources. Jindal's cuts have affected funding for clinics in rural areas. That's also affected long-term care resources as well. And recent audits indicate privatization of state-run clinics and hospitals have shown shortfalls and gaps that weren't there before.
Right. Insurance is a middle man. A healthy population means a population that can work. What's so hard to understand about that? You'd think conservatives would get that but no, they'd rather not invest in the population.

Quote:
Private schools are great if you can afford them. Unfortunately since many in Louisiana don't have the income levels to afford private schools, they have to rely on public education WHICH has become more about political nonsense than about solving the problem. First Jindal was pro-Common Core but because his uber conservative constituency was all up in arms about "federal overreach" (not even the case) he came out recently against it ....much to the dismay of his hand-picked head of state education, John White. Yep private education would be great but it's not a one-size-fits all. Not by a longshot.
Of all the things in this state, I think the education system is the most hopeless for a huge portion of our population. There's really nothing you can do with people who do not want to learn.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:44 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post

Louisiana is the home to LSU- the greatest university in the history of the universe.

My Dad grew up in Louisiana and graduated from LSU decades ago. He's getting up in the years now but he'd get a good chuckle from your post. His words, "My goal was to get out of that backwater state called Louisiana." He left at age 22 and never went back (to live).

LSU you isn't even the best school in Louisiana...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post

Louisiana is one of the most religious states around and the cost for a Christian education is far cheaper than most places.. Those facts alone makes us greatness in and of itself.
This is a BIG negative. Propaganda and fairy tales. Don't care to live around a bunch of brainwashed individuals who believe in Santa Claus and peddle bigotry wrapped up in biblical B.S.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:30 AM

Very narrow historically ethnic / cultural wrap up (more or less):

- A bunch of uneducated French-Canadian countryside men that mixed cultures with the Native Americans in Nova Scotia and were kicked out by the British, only to (somehow) settle here.

- French crooks and prostitutes from the early 18th century (a very interesting time in French cultural history), disgruntled and lied to Europeans, Haitians, and Africans lured to a nasty, disease, bug infested swamp in a promise of paradise.

- A city that eventually became a powerhouse of the world and a magnet for European immigrants because it actually kinda became a paradise at one point (thanks in part to slavery), only to crash thanks in large part to the State of Louisiana and its deeply racist ways.

- The tradition American southern rednecks.

Yeah this state is something else.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:24 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
The more states I visit and learn about, the more at home I feel in Louisiana.
nothing else can really compare to it.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:29 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ True Dat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana