Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:25 PM

22 posts, read 77,909 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to an area with good schools..any thoughts or suggestions of areas within 20 miles of downtown Lou. please? Thanks, we are looking for a nice home with some space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 03:53 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
I won't compare, but do know the quality of schools, life, and community in Oldham County. It is one of the greatest places on earth to raise a child in my opinion. Great schools, low crime, excellent emergency and medical services. I just enjoy living out here.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback..any suggestions on maybe 4 towns out there with a resonable commute to downtown?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinlou View Post
Thanks for the feedback..any suggestions on maybe 4 towns out there with a resonable commute to downtown?
If understand your request, you are probably wanting to search houses by zip code, here are the Oldham zips: Crestwood 40014, Buckner 40010, Pewee Valley 40056, Goshen 40026, Prospect 40059 on the west, LaGrange 40031, Westport 40077, Pendleton 40055, & Smithfield 40068 on the east. You must be careful with Prospect as it's about 50/50 Jefferson Co/Oldham Co.

Brownsboro is a small burb just north of I-71 at exit 14.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 AM

20 posts, read 48,632 times
If you are working in Louisville I'd forget about IN. Getting into the city over the bridges in the morning can be a nightmare.

My family of 5 moved to Oldham Cnty a little over a year ago from the northeast. It was a huge adjustment. However, we are beginning to appreciate the quality of life here.

Also, the schools in Oldham County are not all the same. Most are good but there are a few that we did not feel comfortable sending our kids to which dictated where we lived in Oldham. We are in Buckner which is more of a zip code than a town, but the elementary school is excellent. Buckner is about 12 minutes from the Summit and 10 min from La Grange.

Oldham has tons of activities for the kids. People are friendly, lots of transplants mixed in with folks that have lived here forever.

Just understand that Oldham isn't really suburban, it's more of a rural-ish feel. That was A LOT for us coming from the hustle of the northeast to get used to.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney1314 View Post
If you are working in Louisville I'd forget about IN. Getting into the city over the bridges in the morning can be a nightmare.

My family of 5 moved to Oldham Cnty a little over a year ago from the northeast. It was a huge adjustment. However, we are beginning to appreciate the quality of life here.

Also, the schools in Oldham County are not all the same. Most are good but there are a few that we did not feel comfortable sending our kids to which dictated where we lived in Oldham. We are in Buckner which is more of a zip code than a town, but the elementary school is excellent. Buckner is about 12 minutes from the Summit and 10 min from La Grange.

Oldham has tons of activities for the kids. People are friendly, lots of transplants mixed in with folks that have lived here forever.

Just understand that Oldham isn't really suburban, it's more of a rural-ish feel. That was A LOT for us coming from the hustle of the northeast to get used to.

Hope this helps.
Delaney, An excellent post. Right on target all the way through but for one minor clarification.

You are corrrect about the OC schools "not all the same." However, neither are Verizon, Sprint, AT&T wireless service. Ford and GM are different too, but all are competitive with one giving more here and taking more there. This is different than JCPS where there is a huge difference in the quality of individual schools.

=

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM

20 posts, read 48,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Delaney, An excellent post. Right on target all the way through but for one minor clarification.

You are corrrect about the OC schools "not all the same." However, neither are Verizon, Sprint, AT&T wireless service. Ford and GM are different too, but all are competitive with one giving more here and taking more there. This is different than JCPS where there is a huge difference in the quality of individual schools.

=
Right. I'd send my kids to almost any Oldham Cnty school over moving to Jefferson simply b/c I know where they're going based on my address. However, we found a home in PeeWee Valley that we loved (and we actually loved PeeWee Valley itself) but the correspondingschools had 28-30 students in each class (my kids were coming from class sizes of 18) in some grades and their test scores were not equivalent to other elementary school that our kids would have attended. Folks just need to do their research. The differences between schools in Oldham certainly aren't as stark as the differences between some schools in JCPS.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:22 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney1314 View Post

Hope this helps.

I live in New Albany and work in downtown Louisville. 64/Sherman Minton is rarely ever bad in the morning. I don't know why so many people who never drive over it in the morning think it's so bad, because I've heard it from a lot of people.

On the other hand, I have driven from the east side from the morning and I always have problems getting downtown to work.

To the OP, Floyds' Knob will be the easier commute to work... it's a quiet community nestled in the hills and fairly nice. 71 from Oldham County is pretty terrible.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback, this has been very helpful.:-)

Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times
Hi Girlinlou,
I am in the same situation...I was curious which school district you moved to? North Oldham, South Oldham, or Oldham County?

Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area