Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,516 times

Advertisements

Hello I would like to get some help on this subject.
I want to move to louisville next year my son will be starting Highschool and I want to find out about some of the school which should I stay away from and which are good I will choose the area to live in by the school, would like to be more on the outskirts of town.
Thanks for any help you all can give me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julybug View Post
Hello I would like to get some help on this subject.
I want to move to louisville next year my son will be starting Highschool and I want to find out about some of the school which should I stay away from and which are good I will choose the area to live in by the school, would like to be more on the outskirts of town.
Thanks for any help you all can give me
Best HS in Louisville:
Dupont Manual (charter school with applying to get in)
Louisville Male (ditto)

Best regular HS in Louisville:
Ballard (NE Louisville)
Eastern HS (Middletown)
Butler (Shively)

So-so or mediocre:
Jeffersontown (J-town)
Waggener (St Matthews)
Fern Creek (fern Creek)
Pleasure Ridge Park (SW Louisville)

Don't even think about it:
Southern (Okolona)
Western (West End)
Valley (Valley Station)

Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Best HS in Louisville:
Louisville Male (ditto)

Best regular HS in Louisville:
Ballard (NE Louisville)
Eastern HS (Middletown)
Butler (Shively)

So-so or mediocre:
Jeffersontown (J-town)
Waggener (St Matthews)
Fern Creek (fern Creek)
Pleasure Ridge Park (SW Louisville)

Don't even think about it:
Southern (Okolona)
Western (West End)
Valley (Valley Station)
I think you were extremely generous.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:37 PM

July, you must understand that someone moving into Jefferson County is at a severe disadvantage when getting school assignments in Jefferson County. For example, Louisville Male, duPont Manual, & Butler are who you know schools. Meaning, its more about who you know rather than what you know. Waggener (my wife and daughter's alma matter) is a pathetic monster in the heart of one of the greatest parts of Louisville to live in.

As an alternative to living in Jefferson County, most people will recommend that you choose to live in Oldham County, KY, or in the suburban areas outside I-265 of Indiana. Some outstanding high schools.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:41 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I think you were extremely generous.
Disclaimer: I am a 20-something transplant who completed his K-12 education in the state of Virginia. My list was based on what my friends (most who graduated from JCPS) say and opinion of some locals and perception.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Disclaimer: I am a 20-something transplant who completed his K-12 education in the state of Virginia. My list was based on what my friends (most who graduated from JCPS) say and opinion of some locals and perception.
Yes, Alan, the key line you wrote was that people who are native to Jefferson County have a distinct advantange over those moving in. My daughter was denied the best school for her learning style because she was the 15th white girl on the waiting list. Not only was the best school within one mile, it was also a traditional school and she needed the style teaching to maximize her education. My wife was a teacher in JCPS, so I also know the inside issues as well.

It is such a sad fact that what could be and should be the very best school system in America is relegated to pitiful by racial and class warfare.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Best HS in Louisville:

Alan,

DuPont is a Magnet School.....not a Charter School.......There are no Charter Schools in the state of KY. DuPont MANUAL is the best high school in KY bar none.....academically. BUT, they get to pick and choose who gets in.

The rest......in JCPS.......are "hit and miss."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area