Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 PM

11 posts, read 49,759 times

Advertisements

I was born in E-town, but we moved when I was young. I am currently living in Roanoke, Va. All of my family lives in Louisville and my fiance and are are in the process of relocating. He is actually leaving to go up there this Sunday. I will be in VA until we finalize selling our home.

I have done my research and we are looking forward to moving. We are excited to explore what the "big city" has to offer us as a young couple in our 20's!

What are your thoughts:
Consider, taxes, schooling, pay, location, people, activities...KY or IN??

My dad lives in the Valley Station area and we don't want to be too far from there. Any reccomendations on areas around there to move & possibly buy a home. One of the more important things about the area we decide on is the schooling. This hasn't really been discussed on this thread. It is very important to us that our future children get a good education!

Also how far is it to Indianapolis from Louisville, I have a good friend moving there.

Thank you all so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,318,812 times
Ohio River to Circle is two hours plus the additional time to your friends home. This could add almost an hour to some parts of the area, especially in the NE quadrant or 31 N. area

Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Ohio River to Circle is two hours plus the additional time to your friends home. This could add almost an hour to some parts of the area, especially in the NE quadrant or 31 N. area
Indianapolis is not that big! Downtown Louisville to Downtown Indianapolis is about an hour and forty five minutes max. From downtown Indy, almost any suburb on the north side of Indy can be reached in 20-25 minutes, unless it is rush hour. Most people in Indy seem to live north, just like they live east and NE in Louisville.

Valley Station is certainly a nice middle class area with more home for your dollar. If you have family there, consider moving there. Realize retail amenities are less in that part of the metro, bu there are some very nice homes off Arnoldtown Road. Perhaps a more realistic option would be the Okolona of Fern Creek areas.

Bullitt County has decent schools, but not as good as the best in Jefferson. That said, Hillview may be a nice option for you.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 AM

11 posts, read 49,759 times
Thank you all for your information! I am excited to see what we come up with!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,157,120 times
Thumbs up Schools? Pick Oldham County, Kentucky!!

Hi Shay, well being a bit "older" than a young couple in there 20's, ahem', I can say we have now really researched the Louisville area, ourselves having a 5 and 10 year old currently, this for us was also essential. We would not be able to afford the excellent choice in private schools, so we needed to find a public school district that had great scores though-out [plus it helps when there raved about by the parents!]. Every public school in Oldham County astonishlingly get top marks, so you can not go wrong anywhere in Oldham County [which is rare to see a entire school district have great scores]! Lots of nice areas to live, Crestwood, Goshen, La Grange, Prospect, ect.

There are other areas along the Indiana border and Ohio border that also have excellent schools, but you have to be more careful where you buy to make sure you can go to the better schools. STX would probably know if this is true, but I read that it may not matter where you live in Jefferson County [Louisville], because they will bus the kids to different schools to make quota's! That worried me if true. But like I said check out Oldham County, beautiful rural atmosphere, yet modern shopping, and very close to Louisville for those 20 somethings [and us late 30/early 40's couples] who crave more of the attractions that a bigger city can provide. We also found that Boone County near Cincinnati also has a lot of good schools, we just fell more in love with the beauty of Oldham more so than Boone. Both are good choices, don't discount Lexington either, good schools to be found south of Lexington in the Nicholasville area.

Love it all! Check out my pictures on Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing (http://www.flickr.com - broken link) to see how much I actually loved it from my last two visits over the last 6 mths. Just type in Oldham County, Kentucky, you can also then click on me "wandering photo nut" to see shots of Northern Kentucky too. Good luck on your decision, hope to see you over there sometime soon. Ciao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area