Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM

25 posts, read 48,943 times

Advertisements

Hello guys!
I'm from New York, and I'm thinking of moving to the South. One of my city options is Louisville. Never been there before, so I don't know much about the city. I need some advices, can you help me?

And the main question: Is Louisville a good place to live overall? (jobs, education, housing, health, crime etc.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,323,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrielmoraes23 View Post
Hello guys!
I'm from New York, and I'm thinking of moving to the South. One of my city options is Louisville. Never been there before, so I don't know much about the city. I need some advices, can you help me?

And the main question: Is Louisville a good place to live overall? (jobs, education, housing, health, crime etc.)

Thanks!
Yes, it is a grand place. If you are used to and still desire the lights of Manhattan, Louisville will be a bit darker, but if you are looking for a great place to enjoy living, come on down.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:50 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Hello guys!

Thanks!
Good overall place? That is up to your judgement.

Jobs: If you are in logistics, healthcare, a warehouse related field, or merchant services there is good work here for you. Otherwise, you will have a hard time on the job market.

Education: Post-secondary you have good options such as U of Louisville, Bellarmine, and IU-Southeast. K-12, Kentucky ranks in the 30s nationwide in education and Jefferson County Public Schools has a failed social experiment called a busing system that is a PITA to deal with.

Housing: Very reasonable costs for both renting and buying.

Health: If you have any type of serious allergy or respiratory problem, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT move to Louisville. The Ohio Valley is allergy hell. My mother lives in the area and has respiratory issues and doctors there have told her straight up the Ohio Valley is not a good place for her.

Crime: Louisville is one of the safer large cities in the country.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:05 AM

14,804 posts, read 8,137,037 times
I would highly recommend Louisville. The housing and cost of living are great, lots of green space and the people are friendly. Louisville is also, as mentioned one of the safer large cities in the U.S. - Louisville has a bus-line, but it will not be anything like the mass transit you are use to..many parts are walkable or have mass transit, but you might need a car if you live further out in the suburbs.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:18 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,480,896 times
Come to Lexington.. just kidding Louisville is alight. Louisville and Cincinnati are just okay for me.. both are pretty laid back Ohio River Valley Cities. I like Nashville the best of any cities in this area but just my opinion because their economy is more diverse and its easier to get a job in Nashville and the people are way friendlier in TN. Just an opinion take or leave it. Good luck to ya and God Bless

Old 09-04-2014, 10:45 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,251,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Come to Lexington.. just kidding Louisville is alight. Louisville and Cincinnati are just okay for me.. both are pretty laid back Ohio River Valley Cities. I like Nashville the best of any cities in this area but just my opinion because their economy is more diverse and its easier to get a job in Nashville and the people are way friendlier in TN. Just an opinion take or leave it. Good luck to ya and God Bless

Don't mean to butt in, but in my opinion Kentuckians and Tennessians are "two peas in the same pod" not much difference between the two. I also think by and large Kentucky folks are every bit as friendly.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,505,417 times
I think Dissenter gave a pretty fair review from an outsider's perspective (he's from Tidewater VA & NOVA) who lived in Louisville for several years. I would add that it has a large number of vibrant and safe urban / walkable neighborhoods that most cities of it's size can't match.

What are the other cities the OP is comparing? And what are your wants? In general Louisville would be a good choice if you want a great park system, some areas with walkability, low cost of living, and local restaurants.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:00 AM

7,071 posts, read 16,766,097 times
Quote:
Hello guys!

Thanks!
Definitely. As Census added, even though Louisville is likely the least "hyped" southern city, it is actually the most urban. It has the most urban, walkable urban core with the most independent restaurants and an independent vibe to several historic nabes.....think "mini Brooklyn" with a southern flair and a love of college sports and bourbon.

Despite what people say, there are plenty of jobs in Louisville. I would say the main field where it can be tough to find a job is IT (but it is not impossible and well paying IT jobs can be had and have high retention rates in the city). Louisville has low crime for a major city and has several large and small universities.

Nashville, while a great town, is overhyped and thus, overgrowing with high rents and growing traffic congestion with terrible sprawl (i.e. Franklin, Mufreesboro, etc).

Louisville has managed to stay compact and dense with a few outlying bedroom communities. IMO its apples and oranges.

Louisville will be a bit warmer than you are used to but overall the climate is actually similar to NYC, the difference being Louisville is hotter and muggier in the summer and rainier and more temperate in the winter/early spring.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:09 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,480,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Definitely. As Census added, even though Louisville is likely the least "hyped" southern city, it is actually the most urban. It has the most urban, walkable urban core with the most independent restaurants and an independent vibe to several historic nabes.....think "mini Brooklyn" with a southern flair and a love of college sports and bourbon.

Despite what people say, there are plenty of jobs in Louisville. I would say the main field where it can be tough to find a job is IT (but it is not impossible and well paying IT jobs can be had and have high retention rates in the city). Louisville has low crime for a major city and has several large and small universities.

Nashville, while a great town, is overhyped and thus, overgrowing with high rents and growing traffic congestion with terrible sprawl (i.e. Franklin, Mufreesboro, etc).

Louisville has managed to stay compact and dense with a few outlying bedroom communities. IMO its apples and oranges.

Louisville will be a bit warmer than you are used to but overall the climate is actually similar to NYC, the difference being Louisville is hotter and muggier in the summer and rainier and more temperate in the winter/early spring.
I like Louisville but Nashville is way better city overall just my opinion thou. I think the people way more outgoing and friendly in Nashville and the economy is better in Music City compared to Lexington and Louisville but then again just an opinion

Old 09-06-2014, 01:53 AM

7,071 posts, read 16,766,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I like Louisville but Nashville is way better city overall just my opinion thou. I think the people way more outgoing and friendly in Nashville and the economy is better in Music City compared to Lexington and Louisville but then again just an opinion
I appreciate your opinion but again, I think it is more a perception. Nashville is on TV more, it has its own show for heaven's sake!

Louisville just lost out on a big time corporate headquarters to Nashville partly because of that "can't do " attitude. But Louisville has turned the corner. It is now a "cool" city. It is only a matter of time until it booms

Mary Ellen Wiederwohl on losing Warby Parker to Nashville: 'Louisville has more work to do' - Insider Louisville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area