Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

tennessee has lower taxes, that is the main difference in
economies. it's why Memphis is growing as fast as louisville despite being the highest crime metro in the nation. Knoxville is very homely and is outgrowing better educated and more charming Lexington.

the president of the local company I work for maintains a Tennessee address while living in Louisville 95% of the time to avoid Kentucky income tax.

Nashville has a few more nice attractions, especially the music things and pro sports. Otherwise they are similar sized metros that are slightly different in that louisville is more urban, more industrial and with a more Midwestern vibe while Nashville is totally Southern and more spread out

Last edited by censusdata; 09-06-2014 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
tennessee has lower taxes, that is the main difference in
economies. it's why Memphis is growing as fast as louisville despite being the highest crime metro in the nation. Knoxville is very homely and is outgrowing better educated and more charming Lexington.

the president of the local company I work for maintains a Tennessee address while living in Louisville 95% of the time to avoid Kentucky income tax.

Nashville has a few more nice attractions, especially the music things and pro sports. Otherwise they are similar sized metros that are slightly different in that louisville is more urban, more industrial and with a more Midwestern vibe while Nashville is totally Southern and more spread out
Great comparison

Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,706 times
Nashville has a few more nice attractions, especially the music things and pro sports. Otherwise they are similar sized metros that are slightly different in that louisville is more urban, more industrial and with a more Midwestern vibe while Nashville is totally Southern and more spread out..

Now it's been some years since I've visited , Louisville, 10 years or so, but before then I was there a couple times a year. But Nashville, I was through there in 2011, on my way up to western Kentucky to see my grandmother and family.

Other than the Opry and "Music Row" music city, to me Nashville and Louisville have a very similar vibe and culture. Even middle Tennessee could be considered to have a kinda lowermidwest kinda feel if one wants to say it. Middle Tennessee could be anywhere in western or central Kentucky, southern Indiana for that matter, it's just not that much different.

Nashville sure has grown and spread out alot, Louisville too for that matter. I seem to remember 2 very differerernt cities from when I was a kid.

Louisville is a river port city which I think contributes to it's more industrial feel in some ways than Nashville. beyond that I think climate and topography and even local culture for that matter are just not that much different. Go a bit north of Louisville to Indy and it's ALOT different in my opinion. In my opinion Louisville has much more in common with Nashville than it does Indy or Cinnci...just my opinion.

It will be a big culture shock for the OP in some ways...it seems that Louisville has a much more laid back feel than other cities of similar size.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:34 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
When I moved to Louisville I was impressed and fell in love pretty quick. I'm still learning the city but I feel it is FAR under-rated. Lots of renovations going on downtown, cool neighborhoods like the Highlands that I like being a part of. I think the biggest thing that suprised me was the number of McMansion Communities on the East End. If you're looking to move here, as long as you're not expecting it to be New York, You will do just fine.

I will be SO GLAD when they finish the massive freeway construction project at the river with I-71/65/64Spaghetti Junction or whatever they call it.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrielmoraes23 View Post
Hello guys!
I'm from New York, and I'm thinking of moving to the South. One of my city options is Louisville. Never been there before, so I don't know much about the city. I need some advices, can you help me?

And the main question: Is Louisville a good place to live overall? (jobs, education, housing, health, crime etc.)

Thanks!
All the answers here regarding Louisville are spot-on. I don't know anything about Nashville, but rural Tennessee has a weird vibe that sort of scares me. I would not let a random comment on City-Data stop me from checking anything out, though. My only comment here would be that my Wife was born and raised in Brooklyn and Manhattan and loves Louisville. She has often said what Peter said, in that there is a Brooklyn'ish feel to some areas. With the diversity of neighborhoods here, anyone could find something that would work for them, long-term. I don't think the job situation is what it is in the PA-NYc-NJ-DE area's, but it is head and tails above the usual southern low-wage, service related McJob syndrome everywhere under PA suffers.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Louisville is a river port city which I think contributes to it's more industrial feel in some ways than Nashville.

It will be a big culture shock for the OP in some ways...it seems that Louisville has a much more laid back feel than other cities of similar size.
I love the feel of rust belt cities. I think Pittsburgh is similar to L'ville in some ways. I think if you like L'ville, you will like Pittsburgh too, until winter rolls around!!

Yes, Louisville is way more laid back. I go up north regularly to visit family and friends regularly. The longer I am in Louisville, the more fast paced and 'mean'(?) northern cities seem to be. It feels like the world is imploding in on you at 100mph just walking down streets in the Philly area for instance . . . I don't think I could ever live up north again after my stay in Louisville.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 AM

All the answers here regarding Louisville are spot-on. I don't know anything about Nashville, but rural Tennessee has a weird vibe that sort of scares me

Well, no wonder you're considering Louisville then, because rural Kentucky and rural Tennessee are pretty much the same, it wouldn't be your cup o tea. If their wasn't a state line of "demarcation" you honestly wouldn't really know when you left one and went into the other LOL.

I've heard the expression used that Kentucky and Tennessee are "sister states" and I'd tend to agree in many ways. Wow a "Brooklynish" kinda feel? I would've never expected that. Personally, I wouldn't go that far. Also I've visited Pittsburgh and I don't think it bares any resenblance to Louisville in my opinion whatsoever. It's WAY more heavily industrialized and in my opinion "economically depressed" than Louisville. I do remember when Louisville was much smaller, like when I was a kid and used to visit. I think the city has really come a long way ( Louisville ) and my wife and I are considering locating there as well....which is why I'm following this thread LOL.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
All the answers here regarding Louisville are spot-on. I don't know anything about Nashville, but rural Tennessee has a weird vibe that sort of scares me

Well, no wonder you're considering Louisville then, because rural Kentucky and rural Tennessee are pretty much the same, it wouldn't be your cup o tea. If their wasn't a state line of "demarcation" you honestly wouldn't really know when you left one and went into the other LOL.

I've heard the expression used that Kentucky and Tennessee are "sister states" and I'd tend to agree in many ways. Wow a "Brooklynish" kinda feel? I would've never expected that. Personally, I wouldn't go that far. Also I've visited Pittsburgh and I don't think it bares any resenblance to Louisville in my opinion whatsoever. It's WAY more heavily industrialized and in my opinion "economically depressed" than Louisville. I do remember when Louisville was much smaller, like when I was a kid and used to visit. I think the city has really come a long way ( Louisville ) and my wife and I are considering locating there as well....which is why I'm following this thread LOL.
I guess I should have elaborated more . . . Ive lived in outlying areas of Pittsburgh, like Mt. Lebanon for instance, and the that seems exactly like Crescent Hill or the the Highlands to me. I currently live in the Highlands. The cities are a little different, I agree. There is nothing like the Hill District in L'Ville. But I still maintain, many similarities. I also feel Old Louisville has a Brooklyn feel about it. My wife, who was born in Brooklyn is the one who made the comment. Im from Philly, so all I really know is attitude and trash
Semantics aside, Louisville is easy to like and no matter where you are from, you can find something for you. I also hope not too many more people find out

Old 09-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I guess I should have elaborated more . . . Ive lived in outlying areas of Pittsburgh, like Mt. Lebanon for instance, and the that seems exactly like Crescent Hill or the the Highlands to me. I currently live in the Highlands. The cities are a little different, I agree. There is nothing like the Hill District in L'Ville. But I still maintain, many similarities. I also feel Old Louisville has a Brooklyn feel about it. My wife, who was born in Brooklyn is the one who made the comment. Im from Philly, so all I really know is attitude and trash
Semantics aside, Louisville is easy to like and no matter where you are from, you can find something for you. I also hope not too many more people find out
Interesting, never thought I'd hear that before.. Well wasn't it the same guy that designed Central Park in NY also designe dthe layouts for Louisvilles city parks as well?

Old 09-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Interesting, never thought I'd hear that before.. Well wasn't it the same guy that designed Central Park in NY also designe dthe layouts for Louisvilles city parks as well?

Olmsted

Cherokee Park | Frederick Law Olmsted Parks

Cherokee is one of my favorite places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area