Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:47 PM

87 posts, read 78,507 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year-old currently going to school in San Antonio, Texas to become an aircraft mechanic. I have lived in South Texas most of my life and have not had the chance to travel much to other states.I am currently researching different cities to relocate to when I finish school.

I would like a new start in a city with low COL and where the weather has four seasons along with decent outdoor activities and scenery. Louisville was recommended to me because apparently there is alot of work for aircraft mechanics and it seems like it may work well, I just have a couple of questions:

1. How is the job market there for aircraft mechanics?and for those that have experience with Texas or similar states,is COL lower than Texas?

2. How would you rate the weather and scenery?

3.How open is it to diversity? I am Latino and while I speak English well I may not come off as the most americanized person.I have to ask because I have been to places here in Texas where these things are seen negatively by some people (ex. Speaking Spanish in public or playing Spanish music) Pretty much my question is:would it effect social life and dating?I once saw a video from Kentucky of an older lady that was insulting two women who were speaking Spanish;does that happen often?Sorry if this comes off as ignorant or offensive but I have never been to Kentucky so I have no idea what I can expect.

Any advice is welcome, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 04:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico210 View Post
I'm a 22 year-old currently going to school in San Antonio, Texas to become an aircraft mechanic. I have lived in South Texas most of my life and have not had the chance to travel much to other states.I am currently researching different cities to relocate to when I finish school.

I would like a new start in a city with low COL and where the weather has four seasons along with decent outdoor activities and scenery. Louisville was recommended to me because apparently there is alot of work for aircraft mechanics and it seems like it may work well, I just have a couple of questions:

1. How is the job market there for aircraft mechanics?and for those that have experience with Texas or similar states,is COL lower than Texas?

2. How would you rate the weather and scenery?

3.How open is it to diversity? I am Latino and while I speak English well I may not come off as the most americanized person.I have to ask because I have been to places here in Texas where these things are seen negatively by some people (ex. Speaking Spanish in public or playing Spanish music) Pretty much my question is:would it effect social life and dating?I once saw a video from Kentucky of an older lady that was insulting two women who were speaking Spanish;does that happen often?Sorry if this comes off as ignorant or offensive but I have never been to Kentucky so I have no idea what I can expect.

Any advice is welcome, thank you.
1) tons of jobs, that's the least of your worries (UPS world air hub plus decent sized airport)

2) rolling hills, 4 equal seasons, cooler winters and milder spring and fall compared to TX. About the same in the summer with heat humidity and risk of big storms. Rolling hills, river, and lakes are more picturesque than most of TX IMO. Winter sucks compared to TX but not awful.

3) Louisville is very diverse and accepting. There are plenty of Latinos but not nearly as many as TX. That said you will easily meet other Latinos.

Just come visit but make sure you stay a couple weeks and explore all over.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:05 PM

87 posts, read 78,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
1) tons of jobs, that's the least of your worries (UPS world air hub plus decent sized airport)

2) rolling hills, 4 equal seasons, cooler winters and milder spring and fall compared to TX. About the same in the summer with heat humidity and risk of big storms. Rolling hills, river, and lakes are more picturesque than most of TX IMO. Winter sucks compared to TX but not awful.

3) Louisville is very diverse and accepting. There are plenty of Latinos but not nearly as many as TX. That said you will easily meet other Latinos.

Just come visit but make sure you stay a couple weeks and explore all over.
Thank you, it doesn't sound bad, I'll try to visit soon.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:03 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
It's probably a little thing in the grand scheme, but having left the Louisville area for San Antonio almost 40 ago, that Kentucky income tax would rub me the wrong way. I'll admit to missing the fall color (still)... but that's about it. Been back probably 10 times over the years for one reason or another, but always glad to get back home to south Texas.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
It's probably a little thing in the grand scheme, but having left the Louisville area for San Antonio almost 40 ago, that Kentucky income tax would rub me the wrong way. I'll admit to missing the fall color (still)... but that's about it. Been back probably 10 times over the years for one reason or another, but always glad to get back home to south Texas.
Louisville is night and day compared to 1970s. It was dying then.

The city is booming now

Old 03-11-2017, 06:03 PM

450 posts, read 1,203,421 times
I don't see the city booming that much...I left 6 years ago because the job market sucked..the car insurance was way higher than Ohio...maybe it's changed but I don't think that much

Old 03-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
I don't see the city booming that much...I left 6 years ago because the job market sucked..the car insurance was way higher than Ohio...maybe it's changed but I don't think that much
6 years? absolutely it has. Sorry but u are way misinformed. Ohio? lol talk about a dying state....Outside Columbus, not much growth.

Louisville has 30,000 open jobs and one of lowest unemployment in USA.

9 BILLION in development . Tower cranes up all over. I counted 9 tower cranes recently. Again, you are way off.

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm

To the OP dont listen to former Louisvillians. For some reason they are the biggest spreaders of hate towards the city (similar to haters who left Detroit ).

Old 03-12-2017, 08:30 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
6 years? absolutely it has. Sorry but u are way misinformed. Ohio? lol talk about a dying state....Outside Columbus, not much growth.

Louisville has 30,000 open jobs and one of lowest unemployment in USA.

9 BILLION in development . Tower cranes up all over. I counted 9 tower cranes recently. Again, you are way off.

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm

To the OP dont listen to former Louisvillians. For some reason they are the biggest spreaders of hate towards the city (similar to haters who left Detroit ).
For the record, I'm not hating on Louisville. San Antonio probably compares to Louisville very closely as to 'culture', diversity, etc. etc.... but all other things being mostly equal, that state income tax is something people might want to consider if they haven't already.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
For the record, I'm not hating on Louisville. San Antonio probably compares to Louisville very closely as to 'culture', diversity, etc. etc.... but all other things being mostly equal, that state income tax is something people might want to consider if they haven't already.
I wasnt pointing at you just speaking generally....former louisvillians don't understand today's city...at all.

Your tax point is well taken. Hard to compete with TX, FL etc there. That's Kentucky's fault

Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Downtown Louisville WILL be a better downtown and has marginally improved over the last 5 years. It's come a LONG way since the 80's and 90's, but the slow pace of land approvals and building process of some of the Main Street attractions are hindering the growth of the area, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: