Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:31 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times

Advertisements

I really hate to say this - but you cannot trust the media. I have lived here all my life, and what I have learned is that while the local news seems to be in line with other stations around the country - they really do stick to the negative. WHAS seems to top the scale when it comes to reporting the bad news and omitting the good - but WAVE is not far behind.

If you want the truth - stick to Fox News. Not local, but much more accurate and much less negative.

I cannot even watch the local stations any more. I get too angry.

With a family in the Firefighting business, I have witnessed first hand the exaggerations and mis-reporting. We stand around wondering why they have the people with the least knowledge being interviewed, and why they misconstrue statements we know were given.

Lebanon Junction is a small town 40 minutes south of Louisville - when something BIG happens, it hits the news. If I had a nickel for every story they misrepresented - I would be on the beach as we speak.

But - it is often hard these days to get the truth. The media is very misguided everywhere you go.

But 59 murders in one year - compared to how many a day in other states/cities? One is too much, I agree, but even though percentages look big, when you break it down to how many in a year - it is among the lowest.
But I do stay out of some parts of town - as I am sure we all do wherever we live.

Thanks for the info, by the way.

KimmieyKy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo3 View Post
What is the murder rate per 100k people in the old city limits?
Not enough to worry about. Honestly. I have no idea why the media/info that has been presented is as bad as it is - but the reality is not as bad as what you read.

Old Louisville , close to The University is a beautifully historic place, and the Mayor's home is right in the thick of it.

You do need to be careful as in any city - but if I had to guess - based only on living day to day here and listening to the mill - theft is the biggest problem. People will take a bicycle if it's not locked occassionally.

Try checking with http://www.louisvilleky.gov/metropolice/ - they should have the numbers you are looking for. Good luck in your search!

KimmieyKY

Old 01-29-2007, 06:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I know this isn't going to make happy those you who insist Louisville doesn't have crime.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=5021890

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=5021890

Old 04-03-2007, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,847 times
Default crime and where is it safe to live

Here is what I found on the internet about crime in all the divisions.
What do you think about living down town near the company Humana? My husband has accepted a job there, it is on west 500 main. We were thinking to live in close so he could walk or ride a bike!
We are from whidbey island and that is north of seattle about 100 miles

2006 Louisville Metro Police Department Violent Crime Statistics

Violent Crime Statistics By District

Total
Violent
Crimes
Homicide

Rape

Robbery

Aggravated
Assault

Simple
Assault
4th Division1

1st Division2

2nd Division3

3rd Division4

6th Division5

7th Division6

8th Division7

5th Division8

1The Fourth Division includes the following neighborhoods: Beechmont, Cloverleaf, Fairgrounds, Germantown, Hazelwood, Iroquois, Jacobs, Limerick, Merriwether, Old Louisville, Paristown, Schnitzelburg, Shelby Park, Smoketown Jackson, South Louisville, Taylor Berry, University, Wilder Park and Wyandotte.

2The First Division includes the following neighborhoods: Butchertown, Downtown, Phoenix Hill, Portland and Russell.

3The Second Division includes the following neighborhoods: Algonquin, California, Chickasaw, Hallmark, Park Duvall, Park Hill, Parkland and Shawnee.

4The Third Division includes the following neighborhoods: Auburndale, Iroquois, Iroquois Park, Kenwood Hill, Southland Park and Southside.

5The Sixth Division includes the following neighborhoods: Audubon, Avondale Melbourne Heights, Bashford Manor, Bon Air, Bowman, Camp Taylor, Edgewood, Fairgrounds, Gardiner Lane, Hawthorne, Hayfield Dundee, Highland Park, Hikes Point, Klondike, Poplar Level, Prestonia, Saint Joseph, Schnitzelburg and Standiford.

6The Seventh Division includes the following neighborhoods: Fern Creek, Highview and Okolona.

7The Eighth Division includes the following neighborhoods: Barbourmeade, Bellemeade, Briarwood, Douglass Hills, Glenview, Goose Creek, Hurstbourne, Lyndon, Middletown, Rolling Hills, Westwood, Wildwood, Woodland Hills and Worthington Hills.

8The Fifth Division includes the following neighborhoods: Belknap, Bonnycastle, Bowman, Brownsboro Zorn, Cherokee Gardens, Cherokee Seneca, Cherokee Triangle, Clifton, Clifton Heights, Crescent Hill, Deer Park, Gardiner Lane, Hawthorne, Hayfield Dundee, Highlands, Highlands Douglass, Irish Hill, Rock Creek and Tyler Park.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
well, downtown would be an excellent choice. it is very safe and surprisingly very quiet on most nights outside rush hour, especially along east main and east market. You may find this site helpful in searching for a condo:

http://www.lca-inc.org/lca/dtliving/default.htm (broken link)

keep in mind the following 4 major developments, to be complete by 2011, will majorly increase your property values downtown:

www.ironquarter.com will bring major upscale retail to downtown Louisville, not found anywhere else in the metro

www.arenaauthority.com

www.museumplaza.net

www.riverparkplace.net

Any condo along east main would provide your husband with less than a 5 minute bike ride. the city has designated bike lanes on Market street now and plans to add more. It recently won an award as a bike friendly city. Many condos now provide secure parking underneath. Another area on the east side of downtown is Butchertown, which has some cool old homes from the 1800's. This area is where Thomas Edison worked as a young man, and his house still stands. There are a couple new condo developments in this area too. Please PM me with any questions.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
i would never dream of saying something negative about someones news choices, but fox news is NOT going to be very accurate.

If they said it was raining at that very minute, id still look outside for myself...

Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM

Louisville floods alot???

Although officially in the Bluegrass region, most of Louisville is better described as being located in the low lying Ohio River flood plain. Prior to urbanization much of the area west of I-65, which divides the county roughly in half, was composed of wetlands which frequently flooded.

Areas generally east of I-65 were not in the flood plain and are mostly gentle rollings hills, and were heavily farmed soon after development. Southern Jefferson County contains the scenic and largely undeveloped Knobs region home to Jefferson Memorial Forest. The eastern portion of is in the Eden Shale Hills section of the Bluegrass region and has also experienced less urbanization than the flood plain, although that is beginning to change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville

Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 AM

bump

how much does Louisville actually flood?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 AM

200 posts, read 915,048 times
Unfortunately, you will find that Cattknap and blunderite1 are correct...
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Scorecard
Scorecard Home

....and Fox News, eeeewwwwww

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:53 AM..

Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 AM

92 posts, read 499,959 times
There you have it folks! If Blunderite1 says it is so, then it must be!

Honestly, do humanity a favor and transfer to a university where professors aren't "rewarded for research and publishing" and their whole wish is to educate you undergraduates. Such a place hardly exists (outside of community colleges), but have fun looking.

Also, Louisville was recently declared to be in compliance with EPA air-pollution regulations. True, this summer has been a hot, sticky mess in Louisville, hence pollutants were worse, so we'll see what the EPA has to say again soon.

Really though Blunderite1, don't do Louisville any favors by sticking around...you'll hardly be missed, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area