Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
of course

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/...ove-louisville

The fact is while I’d love to see rail, few cities this size have built it successfully. One thing we do need are a couple fixed line trolleys (we has 100 lines a century ago) ala New Orleans to promote our growing tourist economy.

We are currently constructing BRT to the SW suburbs on Dixie Hwy.
Yeah I barely know Louisville at all but I would guess that it would be best served by a focused streetcar system within the urban core (or trolley, essentially the same) and express bus beyond that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 07:24 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yeah I barely know Louisville at all but I would guess that it would be best served by a focused streetcar system within the urban core (or trolley, essentially the same) and express bus beyond that.
That's what it had a century ago, and also one of the first electrified elevated rail lines (think Chicago L). Alot of the infrastructure is here but the state of KY is too close minded to do it.

That said, I'm hoping for a "tourist line" around main/market, east to baxter ave and bardstown rd.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
That's what it had a century ago, and also one of the first electrified elevated rail lines (think Chicago L). Alot of the infrastructure is here but the state of KY is too close minded to do it.

That said, I'm hoping for a "tourist line" around main/market, east to baxter ave and bardstown rd.
Crazily enough - they used to have this too - called the Toonerville Trolley. The route was obviously not optimized for today's business, but I used to ride it at least weekly to get back and forth from the Galleria Mall for lunch.

Louisville Trolley

Old 01-16-2018, 06:42 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
^I think Peter means a fixed-rail "tourist" line. Not a faux trolley on rubber wheels. I actually rode that when I was in Louisville many many years ago.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Places like Portland and Nashville have seen cost of living rise prohibitively over the past five to ten years. Louisville hasn't seen that kind of run-up. Too much money sloshing around can be as much of a problem as too little.
Yes it can. We need to be making more money, not paying more money. COL needs a limit cap or it will be detroit for most of us who struggles for various reasons, which won't be good for anybody else financially stable.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'd be worried about potentially a spike in COL. Namely because that is a massive selling point of Louisville of having a lot of big city amenities at an affordable price.
Yeah...it's already too damn high as it is.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The hold-up, to me, are the bridges. If I have to cross those bridges all the time, that's going to be expensive with tolls (unless they have some kind of EZPass type option), not to mention that's where a lot of the big traffic jams occur.
[b]EZ Pass is the only option. That or getting a bill sent to your home. Personally I avoid the tolled bridges, I think it's asinine and we know damn well, they'll never go away. Louisville wanta to be like the other cool kid cities and it's going to cost us money. We don't need 283777628 hotels stuffed downtown, or the Speed museum to be rebuilt for the third time in two years...

Louisville also has a great urban core when many cities have let theirs deteriorate, or sprawl. That's part of the appeal, not just price.
Paying for legacy.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
of course

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/...ove-louisville

The fact is while I’d love to see rail, few cities this size have built it successfully. One thing we do need are a couple fixed line trolleys (we has 100 lines a century ago) ala New Orleans to promote our growing tourist economy.

We are currently constructing BRT to the SW suburbs on Dixie Hwy.
I wonder how many drivers arw going to run in to the trolleys? Technically the rails are still there on many streets, but do we really want one more thing taking up precious roadspace?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
As someone from Nashville, I can attest to the higher COL as a result of growth. Incomes are higher, which helps, but sometimes I dream of paying less than 1000 for a decent one bedroom apartment near an urban center.
Which is a damn shame. There's no excuse for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area