Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM

209 posts, read 739,317 times

Advertisements

Missy's right... you dig a foot down anywhere and it's clay time, and the drainage issues that means. Nevertheless, the soil on top can be superb. The soil I inherited here in St. Matthews is great, and my mother's soil in the Highlands is black, rich, loamy, healthy stuff.

We had a world-class tour of private gardens earlier this year sponsored by the Garden Conservancy... some gardens to leave you breathless. People came from all over the East to see it. One of the gardens was featured in the New York Times.

Note that the front-page slide show on the GC website features a shot of Yew Dell. You really must check it out. They have a great garden sale in early summer every year.

Yes, see the Zoo's garden, and check out Bernheim Forest and the Jefferson Memorial Forest, but also just wander around neighborhoods - Cherokee Park area, Highlands, Old Louisville, Butchertown, and see what folks are doing. There are some amazing uses of small spaces. Go peeking back in most yards and if you get caught you're likely to make a friend: This is Louisville and we love to talk, and there's no group more willing to open up their arms than gardeners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 02:59 PM

19 posts, read 70,772 times
thank you louroclou and missymom! I was also wondering when do you generally get the first frost and when do you start planting in the spring?

Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 AM

Expect first frost around Columbus Day - though last year it was closer to Halloween. Last frost hits around Tax Day in April - and you are definitely safe to bring out house plants and put in new plants before Derby Day (the first Saturday in May). In Rochester we usually had first frost before September ended (and then a hot Indian Summer of a few days!). Few gardeners would plant anything new before Memorial Day. The extra month and a half or so of gardening here is a delight (but the deep heat isn't).

Louisville is spectacular in the spring - absolutely stunning: dogwood, red bud, forsythia, azalea, rhodies, tulips everywhere... You'll love it!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:17 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
If I remember right last Halloween it was still pretty dang warm but I could be wrong

Old 09-02-2008, 08:49 AM

I think you're right, Missy. We may have had one of those updownuppers. The almanacs say we had first frost at the end of October, but it was warm for Halloween.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
I think you're right, Missy. We may have had one of those updownuppers. The almanacs say we had first frost at the end of October, but it was warm for Halloween.
We have had many warm halloweens. I remember one year I took my kids to the thing they have at KY Kingdom and my now 12 year old was dressed as one of the teletubbies. It was a warm costume and the blessed child about cooked in it it was so hot.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 AM

221 posts, read 752,017 times
Fantastic photo, Missy! Thanks!

And thanks for this thread. I've just moved here and trying to figure out what to do where/when. The property we bought comes with some incredible hydrangeas.

I did stop at a nursery pretty far south down Dixie Highway and was impressed with their bushes. Can't remember the name, though.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post

And thanks for this thread. I've just moved here and trying to figure out what to do where/when. The property we bought comes with some incredible hydrangeas.

I did stop at a nursery pretty far south down Dixie Highway and was impressed with their bushes. Can't remember the name, though.
It was probably Frank Otte

Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post

Oh and you are welcome for the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area