Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,597 times

Advertisements

Hello Group,

I am hoping to get a better idea from this forum what job prospects are like in the Louisville area for Information Technology - specifically information security. I grew up in Louisville not far from the St. Matthews area and still have 90% of my close family members there.

I currently live and work in the Metro Washington DC area where the IT field is of course, booming. I have done some research and know that salaries will be lower in KY but so will the cost of living. I also know that some of the large employers based in Louisville are UPS, Yum Corp., and Ford.

Having been away for quite a while, I have finally realized I would like to move back. I get back there usually twice a year to visit for holidays and other things. It just seems that quality of life will be so much better there - things are a little more laid back, everyone is not in such a rush, family will be close again, commute times will probably be less than the 2+ hours I have now.

Anyway, your all's thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Carl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chwilson0607 View Post
Hello Group,

I am hoping to get a better idea from this forum what job prospects are like in the Louisville area for Information Technology - specifically information security. I grew up in Louisville not far from the St. Matthews area and still have 90% of my close family members there.

I currently live and work in the Metro Washington DC area where the IT field is of course, booming. I have done some research and know that salaries will be lower in KY but so will the cost of living. I also know that some of the large employers based in Louisville are UPS, Yum Corp., and Ford.

Having been away for quite a while, I have finally realized I would like to move back. I get back there usually twice a year to visit for holidays and other things. It just seems that quality of life will be so much better there - things are a little more laid back, everyone is not in such a rush, family will be close again, commute times will probably be less than the 2+ hours I have now.

Anyway, your all's thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Carl

The IT job market is OK. Its a much smaller city, so of course there won't be as many jobs as DC. If you look hard enough, you could probably find a decent job with similar pay as to what you have now. Many Louisville employers love an experienced worker (especially native) who wants to return home from a larger city.

Louisville has changed alot over the years, and in 5 years you won't even recognize downtown. And thats a good thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area