Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:14 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times

Advertisements

Someone asked why everyone is flocking to TN and NC and not KY? I think the main reason is not so much jobs, but that KY's largest metro area lacked the higher density, upscale sprawlburb that so many people crave. You know, that place with the glitzy new subdvisions, the glity new lifestyle center, the nationally known school system, etc. If you look at the fastest growing US metro areas, they all have these fast growth exurban areas that have a buzz associated with them. Someone mentioned Port St. Lucie, FL, and that is a prime example. Any sprawlburb of Phoenix is another, with Scottsdale being the original. Then you have places like Cary, NC (Raleigh metro) and Franklin, TN (Nashville). Atlanta has dozens of these locales surrounding it. But as these places grow too fast, the quality of life declines drastically in once pleasant areas. Many people left FL for GA, and now they are leaving GA for NC. Are KY and parts of VA next?

For years, Louisville did not have exurban towns with national buzz. Most people lived in the core county and city, and the city has contained sprawl compared to its southern peers. Well, as many stated, people from the coasts and larger cities of the north did not want to move south to another city with the same problems as where they left (not that Louisville has those problems but perhaps stereotypically people see it that way).

Surely I hope Louisville continues with smart, infill oriented growth and sustainability, but if the job market ever becomes super hot in Louisville, I would expect it to explode in 20 years, and I especially look at Oldham County as the gainer (the job market now is good and above the national mean, but better described as tepid rather than hot).

Anyways, all this leads to an interesting PDF I examined:

http://www.kyinbridges.com/pdfs/Smar...lRoomAllen.pdf

I somehow see Oldham County developing this national buzz soon, and it scares me somewhat. I want to see the area developed wisely, and not let greedy developers destroy what makes this area of KY so attractive in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM

965 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Someone asked why everyone is flocking to TN and NC and not KY? I think the main reason is not so much jobs, but that KY's largest metro area lacked the higher density, upscale sprawlburb that so many people crave. You know, that place with the glitzy new subdvisions, the glity new lifestyle center, the nationally known school system, etc. If you look at the fastest growing US metro areas, they all have these fast growth exurban areas that have a buzz associated with them. Someone mentioned Port St. Lucie, FL, and that is a prime example. Any sprawlburb of Phoenix is another, with Scottsdale being the original. Then you have places like Cary, NC (Raleigh metro) and Franklin, TN (Nashville). Atlanta has dozens of these locales surrounding it. But as these places grow too fast, the quality of life declines drastically in once pleasant areas. Many people left FL for GA, and now they are leaving GA for NC. Are KY and parts of VA next?

For years, Louisville did not have exurban towns with national buzz. Most people lived in the core county and city, and the city has contained sprawl compared to its southern peers. Well, as many stated, people from the coasts and larger cities of the north did not want to move south to another city with the same problems as where they left (not that Louisville has those problems but perhaps stereotypically people see it that way).

Surely I hope Louisville continues with smart, infill oriented growth and sustainability, but if the job market ever becomes super hot in Louisville, I would expect it to explode in 20 years, and I especially look at Oldham County as the gainer (the job market now is good and above the national mean, but better described as tepid rather than hot).

Anyways, all this leads to an interesting PDF I examined:

http://www.kyinbridges.com/pdfs/Smar...lRoomAllen.pdf

I somehow see Oldham County developing this national buzz soon, and it scares me somewhat. I want to see the area developed wisely, and not let greedy developers destroy what makes this area of KY so attractive in the first place.
Nice post, stx.

Additionally, as I research various cities (Knoxville, Raleigh-Durham, Fort Worth, Nashville, Minneapolis, Louisville, etc.), I have read on some boards that individual states (like TN for example) will target another state (like FL) and send brochures to the residents and run local TV ads promoting moving to the state of TN as a retirement destination (both states have the no state income tax thing).

And of course, anyone who pays attention to the various Forbes, CNN, AARP, etc. lists of best places to do this, that, and the other ends up taking a closer look at the cities on the list because the quality of life can be much improved in these areas. However, when MANY people move in QUICKLY, it can be so overwhelming for the existing infrastructure, school systems, etc.

I enjoy reading the Raleigh, NC, board (Charlotte, NC, has a similar situation too) because you can sort of get a glimpse of what it's like to live in an area that is experiencing explosive growth (something like 100 people a day move into Wake County, and that's just Wake County). That board is very chatty, and whatever is going on, they discuss it: new toll roads , school issues, increased traffic issues, people who feel they are still being priced out of the housing market even in their new locale, etc.

I think many of the cities of Kentucky will experience vigorous growth from out-of-state transplants in the not too distant future (in about three years or so). Even without being on any list right now. I just hope the powers that be don't have a motto that says "Just get them here, we'll worry about schools and infrastructure later."

Also, those of us in very large metro areas of the US (where the city's claim to fame is JOBS) are very self-absorbed. I don't think many of us give a thought to any smaller city anywhere in the US (not even in our own state) because we are so caught up in our own lives where we live. But with the housing market being the way it is, now folks are sort of raising their heads above the crowds, like a periscope, and checking out other locales.

Just my $.02 worth.

Stepping down from the podium now.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Yeah, I agree with you there. Louisville is growing at quite a steady rate, just not booming. Cities this size cannot really handle too massive growth too fast. Nashville and Charlotte are prime examples. I suspect the quality of life in suburban areas is dropping fast in these cities. I am always appalled at traffic in Nashville, and it is a city that is only slightly larger in metro area than Louisville.

Anyhow, anyone interested in Oldham should check out that report, it is kind of interesting, and leads one to believe that the census may be underestimating the population growth there. I see the population in the county doubling in the next 10 years.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you there. Louisville is growing at quite a steady rate, just not booming. Cities this size cannot really handle too massive growth too fast. Nashville and Charlotte are prime examples. I suspect the quality of life in suburban areas is dropping fast in these cities. I am always appalled at traffic in Nashville, and it is a city that is only slightly larger in metro area than Louisville.

Anyhow, anyone interested in Oldham should check out that report, it is kind of interesting, and leads one to believe that the census may be underestimating the population growth there. I see the population in the county doubling in the next 10 years.
I almost forgot, but one place where I do see Kentucky and, just recently, Louisville mentioned is on HGTV. When none of the channels have the decency to have on any good Horror/SciFi/Fantasia-type movies, then I switch to HGTV, and that's where I see Kentucky: "House Hunters," "National Open House", "Re-Zoned," "If Walks Could Talk," "Designers Challenge," and "What You Get for the Money (this show featured one of the Louisville Highland houses the week before the Derby)". I put Louisville on my list to research because of the coverage on HGTV. The entire time the realtor was talking about the house (and it was lovely), the area, and the parks, I was looking past him at the TREEEEEES! So, I think Kentucky is getting coverage. It's just not the type that is reported on the evening news like when the anchor folks announce Money Magazine just released their Best ....

Old 05-26-2007, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
I almost forgot, but one place where I do see Kentucky and, just recently, Louisville mentioned is on HGTV. When none of the channels have the decency to have on any good Horror/SciFi/Fantasia-type movies, then I switch to HGTV, and that's where I see Kentucky: "House Hunters," "National Open House", "Re-Zoned," "If Walks Could Talk," "Designers Challenge," and "What You Get for the Money (this show featured one of the Louisville Highland houses the week before the Derby)". I put Louisville on my list to research because of the coverage on HGTV. The entire time the realtor was talking about the house (and it was lovely), the area, and the parks, I was looking past him at the TREEEEEES! So, I think Kentucky is getting coverage. It's just not the type that is reported on the evening news like when the anchor folks announce Money Magazine just released their Best ....

Hmm, Louisville and its suburbs have been on quite a few tops lists, so I don't think thats the case. In fact, people started flocking to Crestwood when it was named on that CNN Money top 50 cities (which incidently listed nothing but suburbs of major cities). This is from a promotional flyer for an urban retail development downtown, but it lists some recent awards for the city at the end, and this is not all of them:

http://www.courier-journal.com/assets/B273970520.PDF

Old 05-26-2007, 08:07 AM

79 posts, read 416,799 times
STX12499, Is this Iron Quartere in existence now or is still in the delopment phase? Where is it in respect to Fourth Street Live?

Old 05-26-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Hmm, Louisville and its suburbs have been on quite a few tops lists, so I don't think thats the case. In fact, people started flocking to Crestwood when it was named on that CNN Money top 50 cities (which incidently listed nothing but suburbs of major cities). This is from a promotional flyer for an urban retail development downtown, but it lists some recent awards for the city at the end, and this is not all of them:

http://www.courier-journal.com/assets/B273970520.PDF
Yep, you're right. I went further back to 2005.

I have to remember that the first two things on my list of "relocation wants" (skyscrapered/airported city areas of 500,000 to 1,000,000 people with NO weather phenomenon that occurs with such frequency that it has a name: Monsoon Season, Hurricane Season, Fire Season, Lake Effect Snow Season, Tornado Season, etc., etc.) rules out much of the US and causes me to have a very narrow focus. AND I've only recently started considering cities that are supposedly within Tornado Alley, but are not at the epicenter, so I see where I missed Kentucky on my Internet research.

And by the way, since you're a monitor, what is a Trackback? I was about to hit submit reply when I spotted it. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4mia View Post
STX12499, Is this Iron Quartere in existence now or is still in the delopment phase? Where is it in respect to Fourth Street Live?

Iron Quarter, along with over 1 BILLION in other development along the river, is set to be complete by 2010 and 2011. IQ is on Main Street and will utilize the facades of perhaps the last run down looking 19th century buildings in the downtown area. It is located on Main between 1st and 2nd, or about a 5 block walk to 4th Street Live.

Some highlights include a new 300 million multi purpose arena with a retail component, a 400 million, 62 story skyscraper garnering national architectual reviews, and over 2000 more high end condo units to be complete in that same time. There is so much going on downtown I cannot possibly list it all. New hotels, like two new Marriot brands, a Westin, and a Embassy Suites. There are a few midrises planned, like a new 12 story mixed use headquarters builidng for Zirmed, a fast growing healthcare company. There is even more work upriver...the completion of Waterfont Park Phase 3, a pedestrian bridge to Indiana, and a multi million dollar high rise residential/marina community called River Park Place. Of course, all this doesn't count the two new buildings under construction at the medical center, the planned Haymarket research park, and more.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:22 PM

79 posts, read 416,799 times
Wink Wow

Quote:
Iron Quarter, along with over 1 BILLION in other development along the river, is set to be complete by 2010 and 2011. IQ is on Main Street and will utilize the facades of perhaps the last run down looking 19th century buildings in the downtown area. It is located on Main between 1st and 2nd, or about a 5 block walk to 4th Street Live.

Some highlights include a new 300 million multi purpose arena with a retail component, a 400 million, 62 story skyscraper garnering national architectual reviews, and over 2000 more high end condo units to be complete in that same time. There is so much going on downtown I cannot possibly list it all. New hotels, like two new Marriot brands, a Westin, and a Embassy Suites. There are a few midrises planned, like a new 12 story mixed use headquarters builidng for Zirmed, a fast growing healthcare company. There is even more work upriver...the completion of Waterfont Park Phase 3, a pedestrian bridge to Indiana, and a multi million dollar high rise residential/marina community called River Park Place. Of course, all this doesn't count the two new buildings under construction at the medical center, the planned Haymarket research park, and more.

Thanx..all I can say is WOW! Abramson trying to get Louisviile to metropolis status...

Old 05-26-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
What is a Trackback?
Nevermind. I found it on the Administration board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area