Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 AM

206 posts, read 344,629 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Louisville under BRAC as well. I think Joanie55 is not understanding what BRAC is. Our jobs are moving from Virginia to Ft. Knox. We support soldiers in the field and all over the world. No one actually walks into our office for services. (Not usually anyway). So there is no face to face. The command is very important. We manage their careers, get them training, move them in and out of war theatre, etc.

Regarding the thread subject, I will be in the same situation soon. I am a loner type without strong religion, however I do have plans to join a church when I get there. Other places to meet people might be a gym, or dog park if you have a dog, take classes, go to bookstore. Also try those things the moderator suggested. The important thing is to never stop trying to mix and meet people because that makes it harder for you to mix and meet people the longer you've been away from it. Also understand what is is you really like to do and start from there! Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:13 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katolb90 View Post
I am moving to Louisville under BRAC as well. I think Joanie55 is not understanding what BRAC is. Our jobs are moving from Virginia to Ft. Knox. We support soldiers in the field and all over the world. No one actually walks into our office for services. (Not usually anyway). So there is no face to face. The command is very important. We manage their careers, get them training, move them in and out of war theatre, etc.

Regarding the thread subject, I will be in the same situation soon. I am a loner type without strong religion, however I do have plans to join a church when I get there. Other places to meet people might be a gym, or dog park if you have a dog, take classes, go to bookstore. Also try those things the moderator suggested. The important thing is to never stop trying to mix and meet people because that makes it harder for you to mix and meet people the longer you've been away from it. Also understand what is is you really like to do and start from there! Best wishes.
You are right, I was not familiar with the mission at Ft. Knox. Sounds very interesting. Best of luck to you as well!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,845 times
Plenty of lakes in KY and IN.
Loads of parks throughout IN and KY, not to mention our fair city boasts an impressive number.
The Louisville Zoo.
Coffee shops off Bardstown Rd between Taylorsville Rd and Broadway(Highlands area). A very active area where you will find tons of people throughout the day. Coffee shops, bars, and, of course lots of places to eat.
Gyms/health clubs. While not too many there are some. LAC, Urban Active, and the gym I go to off Taylorsville Rd called Fitness Factory has a number of retirement aged people come in.
What did you do in your previous city to meet people that isn't working here?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:16 PM

13 posts, read 24,577 times
What are your hobbies? There is a really neat place called the Knit Nook on Bardstown Rd. Lots of fun ladies hang out there and socialize. NEVER thought that knitting would be for me, but it is lots of fun, and I have met quite a few wonderful people doing that. It is also a great/comfortable place to walk into alone and make it your home. Have you looked into the Trolly Hop. It is a blast goes off on Friday nights. Louisville Bats games are fun and then there are the Night Races at Church Hill downs. There are plenty of Church picinics going on right now. I know that falls into the category of eating and Church, but come ON we are Catholic we LOVE to drink socialize gamble and have a good time! Check out this link it may help a little.
Louisville Attractions, Venues, Things to do in Louisville KY.

Louisville is a GREAT city!! There is a reason the we stay on the top 20 city list! You will find your fit, just give it time.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,700 times
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I guess I've been so busy trying to get settled and shopping I have not gotten around to properly exploring the city and what it has to offer. Again, thank you!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yes, Joanie, you are absolutely correct. LIFE does require self-discipline. It's the Hope of eternal life as promised by faith that we are talking about. So many people are living their earthly life as grasshoppers rather than ants. They are living for today rather than living for life.

A bit of logic: Maybe several billion of earth's current inhabinats, including me, are total fools in our beliefs, but I ask you, what if we happen to be right? My life takes nothing away from me, but gives me a life of so much more than Spirituality can begin to offer.

I understand, too, how certain religious zealots/figures create bad vibes. I hope and pray that I am seen as the human I am. Full of fault, but full of Hope, too.
Count me in as one of the "fools" Tom...thank you for your post. I don't believe that those who believe and honor God or his son Jesus Christ may "happen" to be right. They are right.

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-23-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I guess I've been so busy trying to get settled and shopping I have not gotten around to properly exploring the city and what it has to offer. Again, thank you!
Hey same here. Hopefully I can do more photos and exploration once I get totally settled. Been to Downtown, SW Louisville, and St. Matthews. Just itching to go back to Old Louisville again.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:02 AM

6 posts, read 17,519 times
Our parks are fantastic. 124 of them! Check out Cherokee - it's many people's favorites.
Metro Parks Home Page - Metro Parks - LouisvilleKy.gov

Check out a list of events here:
Louisville Events and Things to Do | Metromix Louisville

For adult-oriented fun check out Fourth Street Live.

Arts in the community are great. Actor's Theater, Center for the Arts, etc.

Churchill Downs for horse racing really is awesome. General admission is $2 I think. If you've never been to a horse race it's really something to see.

Muhammad Ali museum is awesome.

Waterfront Park is great, right down on the river.

Lots of good stuff here!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:07 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
Just two thoughts: If you think Louisville has bland restaurants, then you aren't looking very hard. We have a well deserved reputation for good restaurants. Heck, just go up and down Bardstown Road!

Second, I just have to say it hit me funny to have you say that Louisville is overly religious when most of the state considers us Sin City! On the other hand, in comparison to the rest of Kentucky...

Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM

101 posts, read 195,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I agree, there is nothing wrong with spirituality. Not everyone is a Christain, the Jewish religion is a perfect example of that. But not everyone wants to be a part of a religious organization. To me, spirituality is an attempt to have a personal, private relationship with the "God" of our choice.
I know, I know...this is off subject, LOL, please forgive my italian bullish loud mouth ways --- but I had to answer.

Yes, organized religion is man-made and, standing alone it is very shallow and unfulfilling. Christianity, however, is a constant 'give and take' in a relationship with Christ.

Supposed to be anyway.

Some don't altogether understand this concept, and many others model it to the world in very 'off' ways.
And those who choose it to be just a 'eat and pray' sort of thing will have exactly that, and may prosper well on that course. God bless them.

Others, like me, for example, choose to live all of life and enjoy all it has to offer in the freedom that a relationship with Christ offers.

I pray you find what you seek in Louisville, while staying safe, darlin..... we are moving there in 3 weeks! Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area