Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,204,090 times

Advertisements

Warner Robins could have answer to northside redevelopment
Warner Robins could have answer to north side redevelopment | Politics | Macon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 AM

13,704 posts, read 22,029,408 times
I've always wondered why that "City Circle" area was in such deplorable shape. It's the historic "heart" of Warner Robins so to speak and has tons of potential.

That's one reason I've never been a huge fan of Warner Robins. People who live there love the place for some reason I know, but it has NOT followed smart growth patterns or indeed, any plan at all. It's an ugly haphazard sprawling mess. Block after block of ugliness.

Maybe this will finally make improvements to that part of town, but here's my question: if it's really worth saving, why hasn't private enterprise or simply civic pride in Warner Robins risen up to so by now? Every city and small town in this state is way ahead of the curve on this.

Maybe because it has nothing to do with high school football nobody in WR really gives a damn?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,856,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I've always wondered why that "City Circle" area was in such deplorable shape. It's the historic "heart" of Warner Robins so to speak and has tons of potential.

That's one reason I've never been a huge fan of Warner Robins. People who live there love the place for some reason I know, but it has NOT followed smart growth patterns or indeed, any plan at all. It's an ugly haphazard sprawling mess. Block after block of ugliness.

Maybe this will finally make improvements to that part of town, but here's my question: if it's really worth saving, why hasn't private enterprise or simply civic pride in Warner Robins risen up to so by now? Every city and small town in this state is way ahead of the curve on this.

Maybe because it has nothing to do with high school football nobody in WR really gives a damn?
I grew up in Warner Robins.I can tell you its definitely unique being that the city is barley 60 years old.My family moved to Atlanta when I was a senior in high school.I never wanted to leave.I have very fond memories there.Its a very civic minded place.The entrepreneurial spirit is very much alive.My parents relocated back there about 5 years ago.They love it as well.I am older and single and can tell you I have NO desire to live there because it has no character and no sense of history or place.
I always wished they would build a proper "downtown".
It has great neighborhoods and the quality in which houses are built is better overall than even in Atlanta.Also the quality of life for its residence is good.Fairly low crime rate and decent schools.
However,there is NOTHING to do.Hardly any attractions or Museums (other than the Museum of Aviation).
Its a city that grew around the base.Was never meant to be a real city.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 AM

13,704 posts, read 22,029,408 times
When I was a student at UGA years ago, it was a running joke on campus how firecely proud all the Warner Robins kids were of their hometown. It was totally bizarre. Most kids can't wait to go off to college and escape their hometowns. The WR kids would all go home every weekend the Dawgs weren't playing at home. Of course, this was back with Demon football was still king (before Northside's rise). But still ... I never got it, and to this day when I drive through WR I still don't get it. It's no better than any Metro Atlanta suburb. And it's ugly IMO. Oh well ... to each his own!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 PM

63 posts, read 98,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

why do adults like high school football unless their kid is on the team. most hs teams are horrible and it is a slog to watch.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,719,954 times
It'll never work unless you build dorms for the college or non-ghetto apartments nearby. The reason why most restaurants over by the Galleria mall thrive is the close proximity of apartments.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:01 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,277,992 times
The northside is the old WR and a vast majority of WR folks are of the surburban soccer mom demographic who want the newest house in the newest area of town with the newest schools etc. They just keep moving south. First to Bonaire and now to Kathleen...

I know that is a great generalization, but for WR it is mostly true. There are plenty of available homes in nice neighborhoods built in the 70s and 80s in WR that a lot of people wont even look at because they are "old". There is so much land and current government leans so much toward growth vs redevelopment that the trend will not end anytime soon.

Kudos for them trying to do something with commercial circle but there are so few urbanists in WR that I find it difficult to think this will work. In the time it takes to do this 5 new neighborhoods and 10 new strip malls will be developed along 96 and the population move south will continue.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 PM

252 posts, read 283,708 times
Well, I think a lot of people more interested in just living the good life, eat, drink, be merry, and doing stuff they enjoy like play golf or tennis, and not all that concerned about gentrification of the area they live in. That might make you happy and they probably don't have a problem with it but they aren't ever going to go on a crusade for it.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,509,449 times
I don't know where you were driving through WR, but only the north and east side are really ugly. The closer you get to I-75 the nicer it is.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 PM

177 posts, read 459,904 times
What is actually considered north and south Warner Robins these days? When I was a kid, Watson Blvd was the dividing line between the north and south. Has it now shifted down to Russell Pkwy or further?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: