Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 AM

132 posts, read 144,116 times

Advertisements

Based on a very preliminary search, it seems that home prices have not increased greatly in the Macon area in the past 5 years. Can any realtors or others offer any insight as to why the market has not seen gains similar to the rest of the country, or if there is more that I'm not seeing? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 03:03 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,829 times
Im not a realtor but I know about the Macon area.Macon overall in the past has been depressed economically.Many plants and manufacturing have declined greatly in the area.
Its only a matter of time now that the economy in the area is doing better that prices will rise as years ago it was declining

Old 02-08-2017, 04:25 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,572 times
Not a realtor, but watching the market in my area....inventory is down, foreclosures are down, asking prices are up, and selling prices are up. Now they aren't skyrocketing by any stretch, but this is the best I have seen it since 2008. Just seeing things firm up a bit is good. I doubt we will ever see double digit increases around here because our job market is skewed service sector compared to professional/managerial, but believe it or not it is better now than it has been in years.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just trying to determine if it's worth buying or possibly renting a house for a while. We have only been in SC for just under 4 years and are moving to Macon, so it's hard to know if this will be a permanent move or if we will be moving again in 3-5 years. I don't want to lose money selling a home, and if the houses don't gain more than the 6% of realtor fees and another 3% or so of maintenance/upgrades, we could walk away with a loss. It's definitely a change from our current situation, where our home values have skyrocketed over the past 5 years. Again, I appreciate the insight.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk05 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just trying to determine if it's worth buying or possibly renting a house for a while. We have only been in SC for just under 4 years and are moving to Macon, so it's hard to know if this will be a permanent move or if we will be moving again in 3-5 years. I don't want to lose money selling a home, and if the houses don't gain more than the 6% of realtor fees and another 3% or so of maintenance/upgrades, we could walk away with a loss. It's definitely a change from our current situation, where our home values have skyrocketed over the past 5 years. Again, I appreciate the insight.
I like Macon because it has a history and quaint downtown.I grew up about 10 minutes away in the town of Warner Robins.
If you dont mind suburbia,Warner Robins is a sure bet.One of the best economies in the state due to the large Robins AFB.North Macon is a good bet also as that area has always been the more affluent side of town.
Also Byron and Perry are other smaller town that arre growing.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:31 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk05 View Post
Around here, 3 to 5 years is typically not worth it. The intown/downtown areas have seen steep increases, but that is the exception. A realistic time frame to buy here is 7+ years IMO. I am sure the Realtors would disagree, but if you may move in 3...I would consider renting myself.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:01 PM

I'm hoping that it is just a slow time of the year, but there aren't many houses for rent in the north Macon area right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things pick up in the next few months with spring coming.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:10 PM

148 posts, read 149,832 times
It does pick up during the spring. My family witnessed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon