Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM

507 posts, read 881,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Thank you, BigCur. Your posts make a lot of sense to me, too.

BTW, St. Josephs Church,just off the beltline ,where I was baptized was burgaled today.

I just got off the phone with a Dane Co. Sheriff deputy I know-he says
the Ghetto areas in Madison are now big enough for gangstas from Chicago
and the Twin Cities to lay low in if things are too hot for them in said locals. They lay low , then pull a job or two for traveling money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:51 PM

966 posts, read 2,454,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
BTW, St. Josephs Church,just off the beltline ,where I was baptized was burgaled today.

I just got off the phone with a Dane Co. Sheriff deputy I know-he says
the Ghetto areas in Madison are now big enough for gangstas from Chicago
and the Twin Cities to lay low in if things are too hot for them in said locals. They lay low , then pull a job or two for traveling money.
So sorry to hear that, BigCur, but I can't say I'm surprised. These "gangstas" come here, wreak havoc in our neighborhoods, prey on the innocent, recruit, do violence, sell drugs, etc., and leave the rest of us being held suspect and up for daily harassment. It's a real shame.

Peace to you.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,413,838 times
Madison has rough areas of town that are unpleasant to live in (which is why I tell people to avoid them), but the crimes are predominately car break-ins, vandalism. I have to admit that as a white woman I wouldn't feel exactly safe wondering around some areas alone, even during the day, but I could name off areas like that on less than two hands. I've listed the Warner Park/Northport/Packers Av areas for people to avoid when looking for housing, not because they are dangerous (other than the above noted petty crime), but because the apartments in those areas are run down and, petty or not, crime is a pain to live with.

It *would* be naive not to be aware of your surroundings in any city or town. I don't doubt it is true that "ganstas" hide out in other cities when the "heat" is on, but they are just as likely to hide out in a small town as a small city. In fact, Edgerton has had its share of gang problems in the last 10 years.

Allied Drive is a close to a "ghetto" as Madison has, no other areas are even close except maybe Broadway/Lake Point.

You can argue that society as a whole is going to hell in a hand basket, but to target Madison in particular is silly - and I've lived here since 1986. Madison is not declining at a faster pace than the rest of America as a whole.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM

507 posts, read 881,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Madison has rough areas of town that are unpleasant to live in (which is why I tell people to avoid them), but the crimes are predominately car break-ins, vandalism. I have to admit that as a white woman I wouldn't feel exactly safe wondering around some areas alone, even during the day, but I could name off areas like that on less than two hands. I've listed the Warner Park/Northport/Packers Av areas for people to avoid when looking for housing, not because they are dangerous (other than the above noted petty crime), but because the apartments in those areas are run down and, petty or not, crime is a pain to live with.

It *would* be naive not to be aware of your surroundings in any city or town. I don't doubt it is true that "ganstas" hide out in other cities when the "heat" is on, but they are just as likely to hide out in a small town as a small city. In fact, Edgerton has had its share of gang problems in the last 10 years.

Allied Drive is a close to a "ghetto" as Madison has, no other areas are even close except maybe Broadway/Lake Point.

You can argue that society as a whole is going to hell in a hand basket, but to target Madison in particular is silly - and I've lived here since 1986. Madison is not declining at a faster pace than the rest of America as a whole.
Since Burlington, VT is not,you make my point.
I see the Money mag top 100 towns came out yesterday,Madison was #1 a few years back now its #95.
The only stat I can see that changed much is the crime rate which they show at about the twice the avg. of the top 100 towns.And the down trend of crime and decline of schools is rapid.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,606,005 times
I can't give advice on Madison but I can offer this. When you move in your 50's and later years you must really plan it out. A person's needs in these later years, are in most cases different than in younger years. It is not nearly as easy and practical to correct mistakes in our 50's, as in our 20's and 30's. A bad mistake in our 50's can have devastating consequences that we may never recover from.

If you want to leave Mass at this point in your life make sure where you decide on is right for you. Make numerous visits and make sure you have a comfort level, with both the location and its population as well as the local cultures. Definitely have a back up plan and the finances to cover the plan, should the location not appeal to you.

Maybe a move is right for you at this point in your life. Perhaps Madison is the right place, just make sure it is before calling the mover.

Best of Luck.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 AM

966 posts, read 2,454,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can't give advice on Madison but I can offer this. When you move in your 50's and later years you must really plan it out. A person's needs in these later years, are in most cases different than in younger years. It is not nearly as easy and practical to correct mistakes in our 50's, as in our 20's and 30's. A bad mistake in our 50's can have devastating consequences that we may never recover from.

If you want to leave Mass at this point in your life make sure where you decide on is right for you. Make numerous visits and make sure you have a comfort level, with both the location and its population as well as the local cultures. Definitely have a back up plan and the finances to cover the plan, should the location not appeal to you.

Maybe a move is right for you at this point in your life. Perhaps Madison is the right place, just make sure it is before calling the mover.

Best of Luck.
Brilliant post. Thank you. I am in my late forties and have no regrets about choosing to try to make a go of it here in Madison. Still, if I were to do it all over again I would have not bought so easily into the sentiments of even well-meaning people in online forums who have fixed opinions of Madison, a city that is changing, probably so much in ways that forum participants could not realize unless they actually spend time in certain neighborhoods on a regular basis.

I am thinking though that if moving here at 50 turns out to be a mistake for the OP, the effects will not be devasting if the OP does not burn any bridges or finds a way to make it a trial move, as I did. It might be a learning experience in that case but, again, not devastating.

Last edited by Nala8; 07-14-2010 at 12:42 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,232,319 times
Thanks for all the feedback. Hadn't checked back here for awhile...checking out all the other interesting forums on CD, and got sidetracked.

Seems that the University doesn't have to dominate one's life, unless one really needs or likes to take advantage of this resource. In a way, it would be a shame not to learn the architecture of the campus as well as taking in a sporting event.

A couple of years ago, I met a visitor to Boston from Madison who didn't seem to like Boston or its people. Raved about Madison when I expressed my interest in relocating there. Said she didn't even lock her doors, in a community outside town. Met another person recently who had lived there a few years but misses it.

I think it's neat to have both Chicago and Milwaukee nearby. Not sure if enough people on this particular forum truly enjoy or take advantage of Milw., or just drive further to the bigger city?

Planned to come July 4th weekend at the last minute, but didn't. Seems flights to Milwaukee are much cheaper than into Madison. Is this usually true?

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,197,525 times
Yes, flights to Milwaukee are usually (not always) cheaper than to Madison. It's a bigger airport there with more flights and more direct flights. Figure about a 90 min drive from Milwaukee to Madison.

Crime in the small towns and countryside around Madison is quite low. I live in the country, and have never had any reason to think that someone might steal something. I don't leave the door unlocked, but used to know people who did. That said, crime in the country is not unknown, esp since Madison has expanded a lot in the last 20 years, and crime within Madison itself is way, way up compared to 40 years ago (but still below national averages).

Old 07-20-2010, 02:09 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,969,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Hadn't checked back here for awhile...checking out all the other interesting forums on CD, and got sidetracked.

Seems that the University doesn't have to dominate one's life, unless one really needs or likes to take advantage of this resource. In a way, it would be a shame not to learn the architecture of the campus as well as taking in a sporting event.

A couple of years ago, I met a visitor to Boston from Madison who didn't seem to like Boston or its people. Raved about Madison when I expressed my interest in relocating there. Said she didn't even lock her doors, in a community outside town. Met another person recently who had lived there a few years but misses it.

I think it's neat to have both Chicago and Milwaukee nearby. Not sure if enough people on this particular forum truly enjoy or take advantage of Milw., or just drive further to the bigger city?

Planned to come July 4th weekend at the last minute, but didn't. Seems flights to Milwaukee are much cheaper than into Madison. Is this usually true?

Thanks.
It's also possible to fly to Chicago, and then catch a puddle-jumper to Madison; this is true for both United and American Airlines..

Milwaukee is certainly worth a few visits; great art museum on the shore of Lake Michigan, great restaurants downtown ( try Mader's for good German food), the Bucks play downtown ( the Brewers play a little further out), Brady Street, and it's always fun to walk along the fringe of Lake Michigan ( fantastic views)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison