Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:57 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times

Advertisements

I thought that the Tax Breaks Walker gave the rich were supposed to keep businesses from leaving the state. Apparenly he was wrong about that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM

160 posts, read 349,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I thought that the Tax Breaks Walker gave the rich were supposed to keep businesses from leaving the state. Apparenly he was wrong about that too.
Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Nah, Beloit is in Rock County. And that's in Wisconsin--ya know, the place democrat legislators fled in order to not do their job by voting?

But thanks again for your input.

Last edited by Bo; 06-29-2011 at 06:04 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,658,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbug View Post
[oh BARF! The flaming liberal/progressive Isthmus is your 'source'?
Sorry. I used to read and believe that too. ]

Here ya go, something close to the reality of normal people, from their website:

There. Sounds like another "rich corporation" that started out sucking at the teat of government and growing on taxpayer monies until they grew enough to branch out into government regulated/controlled health care systems.

Like everyone knows, madison is all about getting other people's (taxpayers) monies and using it to get rich/wealthy there.

Predictable. The movement of money is pretty predictable.
So are the attitudes around it--but often far more amusing.
Moderator cut: off topic/personal Well the reality is most private companies do considerable business with the government. The truck company in Oshkosh makes money building military vehicles. Boeing just signed a huge contract for tanker planes. And on and on. I am sure your buddies the Koch brothers have used the government to make millions.

How Koch Industries Makes Billions by Demanding Bailouts and Taxpayer Subsidies (Part 1) | Truthout

Epic works with all sorts of medical practices including the large private hospital where my wife works. Most of their patients use private insurance from their companies like Microsoft and Amazon and Starbucks.

Last edited by Bo; 06-30-2011 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
"sucking at the teat of government". Well the reality is most private companies do considerable business with the government.
Wow, yet another thing I didn't know.

Do you have any data to support what you just said?

Govt pays in Net90-120. So "most private companies" can float (finance) large government purchases for 3-4 months before getting paid?

"most private companies" lol!
If you can't find a source for what you just put forth as a 'truth', then putting forth a good (logical) argument will suffice.

BTW, isn't your 'truthout' a liberal/progressive agenda driven website started by a government union teacher? And doesn't he have other leftist agenda driven ones?

truthout/the isthmus...... funny. You forgot npr and the new york times lol!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
I was told today that 45 Bongo drum companies have folded in the last week in Madison. I also hear patchouli oil sales are down 96% over the last two weeks and soap sales remain flat. However one area of Madison economy that is doing well is Kleenex.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Some posts above were edited. City-Data has a zero-tolerance policy on insults. Discuss the topic without discussing each other.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:20 PM

So anyone else have any source about "most private companies" do business with government?

Seriously. So many lies/falsehoods out there getting put forth as the truth, I tihnk we should sometimes ask for "what's your source for your information?" as a matter of reasonable public discourse.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Well--ever heard of Blackwater or Halliburton for starters? But the every day stuff is plenty. A much shorter list would be private companies NOT doing business with the government. Any idea how much paper and computers and building materials the government buys each year?

2010's Top 10 contracts (so far) -- Washington Technology

Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Well--ever heard of Blackwater or Halliburton for starters?
OK, so you have named four businesses with government contracts.
Don't know what these two have to do with WI, but they are buzzwords from the left, so it means something to those in madison I guess.
There are just short of a half a million businesses in wisconsin.

Quote:
But the every day stuff is plenty.
I hope so. I'm still waiting.................................

Hope it won't be too long......

Quote:
A much shorter list would be private companies NOT doing business with the government.
So you should be able to whip off a huge amount of businesses that suck off the government teat--outside of madison.

BTW, if your premise was that 'most businesses in madison suck off the government teat' (directly or indirectly) then I must say that I do agree with you there.

I now live in rural Wisconsin, but lived in madison for a very long time, so I know both worlds. It's a shame that these hard working people outside of madison have their monies confiscated by the government to be sent to madison to pad the pockets and programs of the democrat machine there.

Thank you Gov. Walker and fellow Republicans in WI. It's about time someone represented the people of WI outside of madison. They are too good of people and work too hard to be sucked dry and ignored for this long.

Quote:
Any idea how much paper and computers and building materials the government buys each year?
Once again, you are proving the logical point that government is so bloated and out of touch with the working people it should be shorn to reality.

And, ironically, you proved the truth that most businesses DO NOT have government as their customer due to all the mindless bureaucracy, make work rules and regulations, etc.

Here, have at it....then get back to us here:

Contract Compliance - Office of Equal Opportunity - Government of Dane County, Wisconsin

You do know that dane county has 37 people on their board?

Do you know how many different departments/people you'll have to appease? I guess this is why the government is such a big user of computers and paper.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:55 PM

I would say virtually every Fortune 500 company does millions in business with various levels of government. They buy fleets of cars and trucks, office furniture, public hospitals buy tones of pharma and equipment, and on and on. Use you brain and think about it. Libraries buy books and other media. Every government agency has stuff it buys in bulk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison