Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 9,596 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this complex and the area. The complex is at 5670 King James Court, Madison, WI 53719. It is near the newer Super Target off of PD. It looks like a nice place. It is a two bedroom apartment approximately 900 square feet. I was wondering what the approximate heat and electric bills would be for a 900 square foot apartment? Also, I was wondering what the Charter cable and high speed internet bill is per month? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
King James Court is not a very nice area, you will want to see it in person before signing a lease.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM

30 posts, read 60,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
King James Court is not a very nice area, you will want to see it in person before signing a lease.
agreed. as i've seen discussed here before, madison doesn't really have a bad side of town, but rather a dozen or more crime-infested mini-neighborhoods interspersed throughout the city. king james court is one of these bad mini-neighborhoods.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,326 times
I lived there while going to school about 2 years ago. It wasn't the cheapest in the area but at the time it was close (my rent rose very quickly in the three years I lived there during grad school). It had a nice look and was a short commute into downtown campus.

There was a shooting while I was living there. Lots of drug dealing and various illicit corner activities including prostitution. I also think one of the neighbors a couple units down was dealing or making meth. There was a literal crack house busted within a couple blocks. The police were almost required to have a car stationed in the circle 24/7 over summer to ensure things didn't get out of hand. The buildings surrounding this unit are all section 8 low-income housing, which is fine if it's responsible young families who care about their community looking to get a helping hand on their way up but that, sadly, is not what it was. I certainty did not have that picture painted on my tour.

Utilities were always ridiculous. The heat is electric and not efficient at all. I averaged ~200-250 a month in the winter while attempting my best to adjust the heat to the day (no actual central thermostat, room-by-room controls which do not show the actual temperature just a "comfort zone"). I didn't use the wall unit A/C in the summer because it gave a wierd smell off and I think needed a filter change but the landlord never got around to it. Then it was about 100 a month utilities.

The landlord was a whole other issue. He insisted on doing all repairs himself and I don't feel as though they were ever done safety or well-done. Repairs were handled, eventually, but he would make note of attempting to blame me for whatever thing happened - even if it was something that would obviously have happened slowly and over time. Frankly, he was just kind of mean and ornery - just generally unpleasant to deal with once I moved in (though friendly seeming at first)

Sorry for the venting. I stumbled upon this looking to verify my old address and all the emotions and frustrations of that place came pouring back out!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:37 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
No need to apologize. Better to have first hand accounts rather than those of people who have never lived there, like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison