Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,955 times

Advertisements

Madison is by far the best city I ever lived...I'm well travelled person (and originally from Brazil). People are friendly, there's tons of great restaurants, easy to make friends, sense of community, and it goes on and on...I take the cold weather in a heartbeat..Madison's warmth comes from its residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:19 PM

564 posts, read 1,043,264 times
That is a truly kind posting, bendthespoon7. I was just on here out of curiosity, seeing so many positive comments in other places about the city of Madison. I have lived in three different states and the one thing I miss greatly about Ohio is what you refer to, the warmth of residents. If one lives in a cold, even brutal climate but the residents are warm, their warmth will melt the icy temperatures.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendthespoon7 View Post
Madison is by far the best city I ever lived...I'm well travelled person (and originally from Brazil). People are friendly, there's tons of great restaurants, easy to make friends, sense of community, and it goes on and on...I take the cold weather in a heartbeat..Madison's warmth comes from its residents.

I haven't lived in other countries, but I've lived in 7 states, and some of the nice college towns (such as Burlington VT) and great cities (Boston, San Francisco), and I have to agree, Madison is the best place to live I've ever been in.

It's not overly close.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:28 PM

152 posts, read 283,574 times
We're from Florida and lived in the Madsion area for 8 years. We're not there anymore and we miss it terribly. The only thing that keeps me away is the fear of winter and being cold too long. Our youngest son will graduate in six years so after that we plan to move back and do the snowbird thing.

We lived directly on the beach in Florida so please DM me if you want some insider stuff in Wisconsin.

I'll start with the first. GO TO DOWNTOWN MADISON on the weekend. The farmer's market is UNBELIEVABLE.
BEST IN THE COUNTRY and we have lived everywhere.

Congratulations! Your eyes are about to be open to endless bike trails, amazing lakes and state parks, wonderful people, great schools, mom and pop shops that you will LOVE to spend your money at... so miss it. Embrace it, take it with you where you move and try to spread the love.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:29 PM

106 posts, read 104,245 times
how are you enjoying madison so far

Old 05-08-2015, 01:50 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
We have been way below average temp this month and will be for most of March too. Snow will met though since the sun beats on the snow more agressively in the months of March and April then it does in Nov.

The summer, which is basically July and August, will be nice and hot for a change...according to the Farmer's Almanac.

It will be a short summer so you will just have to deal with it. I doubt you will like it in Wisconsin coming from Florida.
Farmer's Almanac is not, and has never been in any way accurate. Forecasters are still unable to predict the weather seasons ahead. Just cannot be done. All you have to do is use a search engine to see that this is the case - there has been some tracking of correlation, and it's a coin flip.

For me, summer is May-Sept. I hate hot weather, and if I had 6 months to be in FL, I'd be looking for the opposite (how can I miss opressive humidity and the 90s every day?). Spent a couple weeks in Orlando this August, and I was miserable! I can understand wanting to escape the cold in the middle of winter and head to Florida, but I've never met a person in my life who prefers a FL summer to a WI one.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I can understand wanting to escape the cold in the middle of winter and head to Florida, but I've never met a person in my life who prefers a FL summer to a WI one.
well, not FL but close enough, but during our 6 years in SC we quickly came to the realization that we much preferred summer there over summer up here. And in our area it was always hot and humid, didnt live on the beach nor in the mountains for any natural relief.
Wasn't that we'd walk outside and say "boy just love heat index in the 100-110's" lol, but everything we do enjoy doing outdoors was made easier to do more frequently down there. I also can agree though that we may have been in the minority. We sure seemed to be among the rare who would drive with the top down in the middle of July-August.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:40 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
a person can tolerate cold (and extreme cold) much better than hot (end extreme hot). Think how much you would last without air conditioner during the summer?

Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
a person can tolerate cold (and extreme cold) much better than hot (end extreme hot). Think how much you would last without air conditioner during the summer?
??

I never had an air conditioner when I lived in Madison. Fans, sure.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:59 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
My question was, would you be able to survive a few days without air conditioning in Texas/ Southern California/ Florida (not in Madison ) - compared to being able to survive equal number of days without heating in the winter in WI.

People in WI dream of warm winters, but totally forget about hot-hot-hot and humid summers That was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison