Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,811 times

Advertisements

I have been told that Sun Prairie schools have a drug and gang problem, is there any truth to this? Is the problem a pretty minor one, much similar to any other schools, and just being sensationalized? Or is there a reasonable problem with drugs and gangs there?

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,725 times
I was actually just coming to post a similar question. We are relocating and I've had two different people tell me Sun Prairie has a crime problem, so was curious what other perspectives on this were. So, I'm not surprised I guess to read this question and will be interested to see the responses.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:10 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,700,737 times
I am not that familiar with the Sun Prairie area but this might help both of you to give you some idea of what the area is like. It shows statistics, etc. Otherwise, it is just a matter of perspective meaning how much crime is too much and of what kind of crime, etc:
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-22-2017 at 06:39 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
I used to recruit for a company located in Sun Prairie.
(We'd recruit for everything from engineers to admins.)
It was a constant struggle to find people who could pass the criminal background checks.
FWIW.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:48 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Madison in general is having more issues and across the city; and some of those can and will flow into neighboring communities. And the way Sun Prairie's growth has exploded over the past few years, concerns are bound to pop up.
If one has specific questions on crime and areas (even specific schools) perhaps try to contact those departments directly from the local pd to the school admin.
As for drugs, that problem is everywhere. Narcotics and overdoses have grown, being in a 'burb does not mean it doesnt exist. And unfortunately where there are drug problems, crime (ie theft) will follow and can go hand in hand.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 20,508 times
Several of the smaller towns struggle with narcotics - whether it shows up as a stat or not. It's becoming a fact in rural america lately, unfortunately.

SP schools are way more sought after than Madison's, but are not on par with Middleton, Mt. Horeb, etc. I wouldn't say Sun Prairie has had a huge influx of drugs/crime that's out of step with most of the other areas nearby. Most notable change is that SP has exploded in population over the past decades and thus the quantities of crimes has gone up, but as far as I can tell, the rates have not.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:34 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
learned a little background on the narcotics issues when i did a citizens PD academy (very enlightening). It's actually a common problem in the 'burbs which did surprise me.
Many residents and families can have insurance, get pain meds for injuries, etc and that is just one way that can lead to an addiction.... Starts off easy enough but is quick to take the wrong turn. Then all the side effects of those addictions, which can include crime to support their habit, come into play. My point is drugs aren't always tied to the downtrodden or those trying it for recreational use; often an arrest or even overdose can happen to someone the outside world would not suspect it of. Urban and rural, it's a problem.

So in any of our nice little burbs it can be (and possibly is) an issue, SP not to be excluded. And yes that includes the youth.
Add in SP's location right next to Madison's east side, and as noted it's exploding population growth, and it would not surprise me if they too have some concerns. Does not mean I wouldn't consider living in that area; in fact we have close friends who do. No different than other area burbs and Madison itself.

But as with many other locations throughout the states, do some homework on areas to live and be smart when out in one's surroundings.....

Old 08-01-2017, 12:51 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,383 times
The entire area has been severely and negatively impacted by and influx of gangs, poor people, and thugs. Just read the Madison papers regularly. Police chief says it is getting out of control
Madison's police chief will post 'significant' daily crimes on blog - WISC

Old 08-02-2017, 11:20 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,383 times
Homicide at 7-Eleven a 'cold, brutal assassination,' police chief says | Crime | host.madison.com

Old 08-02-2017, 11:53 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
It was getting way out of control when I left Madison area back in 2015. Something has to change because the status quo sure isn't working at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison