Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 AM

456 posts, read 1,396,541 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm...

Personally, I have never run out of things to do in Madison. Film, theatre, bookstores, ethnic restaurants, the Farmer's Market, concerts, music festivals, ethnic festivals, local music, the Memorial Union Terrace, parties, Willy Street, classes, lectures, workshops, etc.

So, when people say that there is nothing to do in Madison, I'm thinking that what they mean is that there is nothing they would enjoy doing.

In my life I have learned and continue to learn that complaining just keeps the mind focused on the negative, or in this case focused on perceived lack. Let's turn it around then. What would you like to see, do, or experience in Madison? What is your wish list? You never know who is reading your post. What do you want?

I'll start. Even though I love, love, love Madison for all the cool stuff I listed above, I do wish Madison had a cafe or lounge scene where adults who are beyond the bar scene can enjoy poetry/spoken word, neo-soul music, nu jazz, and world lounge music or chill. A place like this would add to Madison's already very hip cultural scene. I am seriously thinking about starting a regular venue like this. In my mind, I have been calling it the World Metta Cafe and Lounge.

Now, what do you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I think the problem with your business model is that any kind of place like that will eventually be swamped with students. Mild-mannered, civilized students, mind you... but students. That tends to scare away adults who think it's a 'student' scene that they're too old for. So while you may be trying to reach beyond the students, that's ultimately who you are likely to be catering to. The only way to really appeal to a largely adult crowd is to make it too stuffy or expensive for the student crowd, but that doesn't sound like it would fit your business model.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Drover, but I am in no way suggesting a business plan. I know better than to even take an idea that far requires understanding the social context, the social dynamics, and what the people actually want or need. And you are right, with my personality and beliefs, I could never a create a stuffy, expensive lounge scene.

So, it still comes back to my original question. Instead of focusing on what isn't working, what may not work, or what is lacking, dream a little. What do you think is needed? What would you like to see, do, or experience in Madison? Forget the cafe/lounge idea for a minute or two. This thread is not about me or the lounge scene. I can be happy enjoying what Madison does have to offer and then expand my world by taking trips to Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:23 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
You pose an interesting question, Indi9. In all honesty, I confess that I hadn't really spent a lot of time thinking about what Madison lacks that I wish it possessed, but it leads down some interesting paths.

The first thing that comes to mind is greater diversity. There have been several threads about that topic, with some pretty heated debate over whether or not Madison is truly diverse, but at least in my view, this is a pretty white-bread city. The threads about people having to travel to Milwaukee to find a competent stylist for African-American hair is a case in point; it's hard for me to fathom the notion of a city of 200K-plus that lacks such a thing. (And as a side note, if someone is looking for a business model with excellent potential for success, there is clearly a need for good Black hair care in Madison.)

Economic diversity, and the gap between the Haves and the Have-Nots, is another issue that troubles me. A few years back, when the Overture Center opened, my spouse and I were walking back down State Street after attending a concert there and overheard a conversation between two other pedestrians. They didn't look like they were homeless, but were clearly at the lower end of the economic spectrum. One asked (referring to Overture Center), "What's that place?" The other replied, "That's where the rich old white folks go to listen to music." I see a lot of that kind of dichotomy, where there is a perceived schism between young and old, well-off and working poor, downtown and suburbs, and I wish there was a way to bridge that gap. I don't have any answers, I'm afraid; I'm a beancounter, not a sociologist. But I see it as a growing problem nonetheless.

Thanks for getting us started looking at Madison in a different way, Indi9. There is no place in the world that's so good it can't get better, and a critical self-examination is a good way to start the improvement process. Good thread!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think the problem with your business model is that any kind of place like that will eventually be swamped with students. Mild-mannered, civilized students, mind you... but students. That tends to scare away adults who think it's a 'student' scene that they're too old for. So while you may be trying to reach beyond the students, that's ultimately who you are likely to be catering to. The only way to really appeal to a largely adult crowd is to make it too stuffy or expensive for the student crowd, but that doesn't sound like it would fit your business model.
Another way to attract adults over students would be to locate the business farther than walking distance from the UW campus. The drawback to doing that in Madison is that most of the adults who would be drawn to such things seem to live close to campus and prefer to walk. Maybe locating in a more adult-centric area like Monroe St. or east of the capital would be a good compromise?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback, MWB and Bowie. Thought for a minute there that I may have offended some people. Not too many people think of the love of a city the way I do, and that is that I love the city, warts and all, and at the same time try to think of ways to enjoy the city and ways I can help.

What's so funny, MWB, is that NYC is not that different, culturally-speaking, than Madison--just bigger and more intense. The racial, economic, and generational gaps are pretty fierce. One of the only places in NYC that has successfully bridged that gap is the Bowery Poetry Club. Most of the events I have been to and participated in there (poetry readings, music, dance, etc.) have been intergenerational, culturally diverse, and affordable ($5 to $12 cover). And packed. The key in each of these cases has been in the hands of each event's curator or host. The best host, imo, is very intentional about reaching a variety of people and making it affordable, without going broke. Plus the folks who run the space usu. set the tone by being very helpful, laid-back, and friendly to everyone, regardless of race, age, or apparent income bracket.

So, back to Madison. What are the possibilities of having such a venue in Madison? You can google the Bowery Poetry Club's website.

When I woke up this morning with this question on my mind, I was thinking of, or wishing for, something more along the lines of a regular mingling place for people who love music, poetry, the arts, and dancing. Listening parties, poetry readings, group jams for musicians, just the sheer joy of hanging out, etc. Right there in my own house or apartment (and back yard) if necessary, or at a very relaxed cafe on the east side (TY, Bowie).

Would this kind of scene fly in Madison? For me, it's not about the money. In NYC, I have learned that you can at least break even and pay the owners of the space if you give the people what they want or need, and make sure that everyone has a good time. I have also learned that if you want to gear an event toward the older or mature audience members, all you have to do is make sure the music, poetry, etc. is chosen with them in mind. Ditto the youth.

Last edited by Indi9; 09-09-2008 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-09-2008, 06:40 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
I'm intrigued by your observations, Indi9, both about the divides you see in NYC and about your experience with the Bowery Poetry Club. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you take some time to check out WisCon (WisCon - The World's Leading Feminist Science Fiction Convention), which is an annual Madison event that happens over Memorial Day weekend.

The reason that I consider that going out on a limb is that WisCon is a science fiction convention, which by itself is enough to put a lot of people off, and more than that, it is The World's Leading (and original) Feminist Science Fiction Convention, which freaks a lot of folks out even more. However, the atmosphere you describe at the BPC sounds very, very much like WisCon, so I thought you might be interested in it. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of SF, though I read it occasionally, but I cannot imagine life without WisCon.

WisCon's membership fee is $45 for a four-day convention. That includes free childcare for those who need it (as long as a space is reserved ahead of time, so that enough licensed childcare providers are hired for the number of children), and attendance at over 200 program events. There is a writers' workshop (free) for those who are interested. There is a hospitality suite (called the "con suite" in SF parlance) where free food is available to convention members throughout the four days. And there is the most amazing feeling of inclusiveness, of warmth and togetherness, that I have ever experienced: it's like attending a family reunion with 1,000 relatives, all of whom you actually like.

The program items cover an amazing array of topics. In the past few years, they have included "Elves & Dwarves: The Inherent Racism in Fantasy," "Genre Tokenism," "Lady Poetesses From Hell," "Rocking The Good Boat Utopia," "Sparkly Boys & Tough Girls," "Embarrassing Foremothers," and that's just in a couple of program sections. The Carl Brandon Society, the Tiptree Award and the Interstitial Arts Foundation were all founded either at WisCon or as a direct offshoot of experiences people had at the convention.

It's an incredible experience, and from a lot of what you've written in these threads, I suspect you'd find yourself feeling very much at home there.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:15 AM

Hey MWB, nice call. You are the second CD person who has brought up WisCon. Sounds good to me. I am not huge science fiction fan, but I do like science fiction, especially speculative sci fi that shows us what our future could look like if we, as a society stay on this track--e.g. Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents; and Marge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time. I am also fascinated with tales of extraterrestrials or visitors from other realms--e.g. Zenna Henderson's People Stories. With any luck (hard work, perseverance, faith, and all that good stuff) I will be in Madison by May. Thanks for the tip! I am sure to meet some kindred spirits at WisCon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison