Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM

13 posts, read 47,326 times

Advertisements

My husband is with an airlines and is looking to move bases to Chicago. Having grown up in southern WI he would love to go back. He loves Madison -- I have not gone myself. We do not desire to live in the city itself. But request reccomendations on suburbs, especially school districts.
Perhaps on the south side -- if this is ok -- to cut down on a allready long commute. Looking for family friendly young area, low crime and like I said must have excellent schools.
Looking to move this summer -- ok to rent first.
Anyone want to buy a house in upstate NY please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I think you shouldn't rule out living in Madison proper. The Madison Metropolitan School District is renowned around the country as a wonderful place to teach. When I lived in Madison, West High School produced the largest quantity of Merit Scholars of any school in the state of Wisconsin. Not all schools in MMSD are excellent, but some are. Check out the link below for school ratings.

Madison Metropolitan School District schools, Madison - WI: charter and public schools. Madison school district - Madison WI school district

Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 AM

53 posts, read 174,176 times
Commuting to Chicago from Madison? Brutal.
As far as neighborhoods go, avoid the south side of Madison around Verona Road.
If you look at a map of the greater Madison area, you'll see that interstate 90 to Chicago comes in from the South-East, so the communities of McFarland and Monona might serve you better. There are some really nice areas in both towns.
To really get the "feel" of living in Madison and not some sprawling suburb, you need to live within the beltline to the West (highway 12/14) and within Atwood Ave to the East. These areas will have great schools but an unreasonable commute to Chicago (2.5 hours to O'Hare).

Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 PM

164 posts, read 601,458 times
If I were you I would move somewhere a bit closer to Chicago than here, it would be an awful commute from Madison. Maybe a smaller town in Lake County, IL, places like Round Lake, etc that are located on the METRA commuter rail line.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Pilots and flight attendants can commute to and from their bases by catching flights at the nearest airport. Considering the number of direct flights to O'Hare from Madison, it shouldn't be a problem for a pilot to live in Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison