Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,960 times

Advertisements

Is this realistic, in your opinion, or would I be courting burnout? I just discovered a huge list of job openings for nonprofits in Milwaukee--where I gather the need for helping professionals or community service workers is huge.

I don't have a car, so initially I'd be traveling by bus.

Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM

164 posts, read 601,458 times
I sure wouldn't want to give up 3+ hours per day just commuting to/from work. If you are entertaining this thought it would be better to just move to Milwaukee.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
I sure wouldn't want to give up 3+ hours per day just commuting to/from work. If you are entertaining this thought it would be better to just move to Milwaukee.
Whoa... Not good. Not good. I wouldn't want to move to Milwaukee. Got my heart set on Madison.

Thank you.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
What s/he said. Even driving, I wouldn't do a commute like that. On a bus, it doesn't bear thinking of. Between work and the hours on the bus, all you'd actually be doing in Madison would be sleeping. And you'd be spending $35/day on busfare.

I have known of couples in which one person works in Madison and the other in one of the more westerly burbs of Milwaukee, who wind up settling someplace like Lake Mills or Johnson Creek or something between the two, but even that seems excessive to me. Both jobs would have to be really, really incredible to be worth that kind of commute.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
What s/he said. Even driving, I wouldn't do a commute like that. On a bus, it doesn't bear thinking of. Between work and the hours on the bus, all you'd actually be doing in Madison would be sleeping. And you'd be spending $35/day on busfare.

I have known of couples in which one person works in Madison and the other in one of the more westerly burbs of Milwaukee, who wind up settling someplace like Lake Mills or Johnson Creek or something between the two, but even that seems excessive to me. Both jobs would have to be really, really incredible to be worth that kind of commute.
Thank you. Oh well. It was worth a shot. Still trying to broaden my scope.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:26 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
It's doable if you like driving but most would not recommend it, try it one day. Leave from home drive to milwaukee and turn around and really see if you would be able to stand it.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
It's doable if you like driving but most would not recommend it, try it one day. Leave from home drive to milwaukee and turn around and really see if you would be able to stand it.
Thanks for the idea, Milwaukee City, but as I said before I'd be taking the bus initially.

Truthfully, the idea of commuting no longer turns me on. I am moving to Madison so that I can have a balanced life. Oh well...

Old 08-18-2009, 09:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
The only way I'd do a commute like that is if I-94 had no speed limit. But that would make it even harder on fuel costs.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The only way I'd do a commute like that is if I-94 had no speed limit. But that would make it even harder on fuel costs.
Funny...

Old 08-19-2009, 01:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Funny...
In a way, I suppose. But I'm quite serious and outspoken about my opinion that speed limits should be eliminated on most of the interstate system. But that would require that 1) we build them in a way that their condition doesn't deteriorate to suckitude within a year of resurfacing, and 2) we teach people how to competently drive and not just how to point a car in a given direction and step on the gas and/or brake pedals. With a mid-level car now capable of safely and reliably cruising at speeds at or above 90mph, it's stupid to restrict them to 65. But that's another topic for another day and another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison