Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 AM

461 posts, read 796,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcobd View Post
If I put you in front of Lake Michigan here in Chicago, you wouldn't know the difference between it and an ocean. I guarantee it.
People who haven't seen the Great Lakes have no idea of the size. A Maine friend of mine assumed Lake Michigan was the size of Lake Winnipesaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM

161 posts, read 419,017 times
Quote:
If I put you in front of Lake Michigan here in Chicago, you wouldn't know the difference between it and an ocean. I guarantee it.
Salty versus not salty.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Sometimes the coast smells. I mean, really bad.
Just saying!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I really like all of the fresh-water rivers, lakes and ponds that are in forested areas in Maine.

If I lived on salt-water I would have a sailboat again; but since I dont I am happy with fresh-water

Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
People who haven't seen the Great Lakes have no idea of the size. A Maine friend of mine assumed Lake Michigan was the size of Lake Winnipesaukee.
We flew over them on the way to California in May. They are huge. You'd be hard pressed to tell them from an ocean.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:33 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
...a Maine friend of mine assumed Lake Michigan was the size of Lake Winnipesaukee.
Suggest Google Earth! And no, I'm really not being snippy... I had trouble remembering how the Northern Territory in Canada was shaped when I was talking to my youngest about it, and pulled it up on there. I was never a fan of geography growing up, but I've loved Google Earth ever since that first time using it a few years ago!

And Alan, the salt air smell--or absence of--would certainly be a giveaway! The Great Lakes are amazing however, and I'd love the chance to visit any of the surrounding areas again.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
I sure would.

Water is not just water to me--it's about the life it contains, too.

The ocean is vast, covering more of the earth than dry land does.

And there is no telling what unknown surprises it has yet to show us.

Or what dwells in its tide pools or might wash up on shore after storm.

Or what your boat might encounter. The whales, sharks, squid and giant squid, octopuses (great eating), shellfish of all kinds, fishes of all kinds, corals, anemones, plankton. Storms on rocky coasts, epic waves. Everything about the ocean is epic and timeless.

Or what your fishhook might come up with.

And the ocean touches every continent.

Sorry, there's more to looking at water than how far you can see over it.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I really like all of the fresh-water rivers, lakes and ponds that are in forested areas in Maine.

If I lived on salt-water I would have a sailboat again; but since I dont I am happy with fresh-water
Ponds and streams are beautiful to me.

Lakes and rivers less so, but still nice.

I'd love to live with the ocean on one side of my house and a pond or stream on the other (unless the pond or stream cause unendurable pest or flooding problems).

That would be ideal.

But if I had to choose between, I'd pick the ocean.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Sometimes the coast smells. I mean, really bad.
Just saying!
The only time the Atlantic coast ever smells bad to me is when a school of fish beach themselves to escape predators, and then die and rot on the beach. But even then it wasn't that bad.

And the smell of the seacoast at certain times is one of the most beautiful smells on earth. The salt smell at such times is only a small part of it--there's something about the plant and animal life in the tidal zones that makes it smell so great.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:41 AM

192 posts, read 394,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
You're welcome to them. Drink all you want.
No doubt. I have lived by and been to lake erie all of my life. I am scared to eat the fish let alone drink. Now I know that doesn't qualify me to talk about the other great lakes, but that ship has sailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: