Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,845 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any cottages or cabins for rent in Maine that would allow 4 well behaved dogs. Something close to hiking trails, lakes or ponds etc would be ideal. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
I appreciate your desire to have four dogs. But i have just one dog. I have to have booties on its feet when its in the house or it will completely tear up the floor, even if I don't play with it in the house. Also everything from the floor level to the height of the dog constantly needs to be washed down due to the rubbing of the dirt from its coat on walls and woodwork.

There is no such thing as a well-behaved dog. I have a well behaved Lab and it does damage to the house. If you put four of them together, they will race each other around the house, and play constantly. We often talk about the collective IQ of teenagers in a group droping into the moron range. What do you think the collective behavior of dogs is in a pack of 4 left to their own devices?

As a landlord, I can only imagine what four dogs would and could do to a home. Unless you are willing to live in a dwelling where the landlord doesn't care one little bit about it(which means pretty much a shack), I can't imagine any landlord allowing 4 dogs.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:38 AM

263 posts, read 625,907 times
Put them in a kennel and have a great vacation " sans" Dogs, where is all the poop going? I own rental vacation rental property, used to allow cats, them someone brought one well behaved dog... ( never again)its simply not realistic . 4 dogs is a lot.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
I dunno, it could be legit.

I should think that there might be some hunting camps, that aren't exactly...ummmm...in 'pristine' condition, that might be available for rent, whose owners wouldn't be too concerned about a few dogs.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
I've been here with my 1 dog, I'm not sure how many you're allowed.
Moosehead Lake Cabin Rentals, Maine Vacation Cabin Rentals, Maine Lodging

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
Sorry, I just noticed it says 2 dogs max per cabin, unless you want to rent 2

Old 08-12-2010, 07:40 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
When I made my recon visit to Maine, I was planning on camping (tent style) and had two dogs with me. I could not find any place that allowed more than one, so I ended up "camping out" on the lawn of a City-Data poster.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:17 AM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
I am going to disagree with Zarathu. I have a 130 lb dog, and you would never even know I had a dog if you came into my house and he wasn't home. It's about putting forth the effort to clean up after them, and raising them well. He has never gone the bathroom inside, is well-groomed, and pretty much just lounges around.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I am going to disagree with Zarathu. I have a 130 lb dog, and you would never even know I had a dog if you came into my house and he wasn't home. It's about putting forth the effort to clean up after them, and raising them well. He has never gone the bathroom inside, is well-groomed, and pretty much just lounges around.
You can disagree. Maybe you have a special situation. I have a 95 lb 7 year old white labrador, who lounges too unless he gets excited to go outside, or for his food.

When that happens he tends to move faster digging in with his rear claws as he walks or runs. Pergo might be protective against this and I hope it is since that's what I'm putting down. No other flooring is strong enough(not wood, not vinyl) not to be scratched by those very hard back claws when he wants to move fast. I should not use the word scratch: I really mean GOUGED.

Additionally even when lounging, dogs have coats. They don't take showers everyday. So their coats are dirty. If you have white woodwork or white walls, the dog will rub the dirty coat all over the walls and woodwork as he lounges around the house. This will require cleaning, or more usually repainting.

I can only imagine what 4 big dogs or a bunch of little dogs would do. And my experience is that some renters are fastiduous. Most renters are not, since its not their house, and they all seem to believe that the landlord is a rich person making loads of money off of their rent. Renters have little awareness that the landlord may be barely making ends meet and praying that there is no damage to the house or that nothing breaks down, since he is actually in the red each month after paying the mortgage, the taxes, and the insurance on the house. I know that when I was a renter, I never understood this, and thought the landlord was rich.

Zarathu

Old 08-13-2010, 07:52 AM

263 posts, read 625,907 times
I have to agree with the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine