Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
WOW!!!! Didn't even know they still sold them. I'm sure they are pretty safe if you know what you are doing. I can tell you one thing, there wasn't a bit of creosote in that chimney. The one I used wasn't close to being air tight and stuffed with tinder dry softwood, she produced some heat.
Rated at 200kBtu they can produce some bit of heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Exclamation Don't put corn in a P68 pellet stove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
One additional option is the burning of corn in your pellet stove. I've never done it, but I know the Harmon I owned in Caribou was supposedly able to burn it. I priced it out at the time and wood pellets were cheaper.
Do not attempt to burn corn (or walnut shells) in your P68 pellet stove. It is not designed to burn corn and you will be severely unhappy if you try to do so.

Corn has different burning characteristics and moisture content than pellets and requires a stove that was designed for it. The Harman PC45 was designed to burn corn, but could burn pellets with the installation of an optional conversion kit.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM

47 posts, read 117,162 times
They only sell pellets by the TON! My husband is delighted. This is just another excuse for him to buy a truck. He's been doing a lot of driving back and forth to transport that in the Subaru.

We still have 3 cords of firewood, dry, seasoned, and neatly stacked that will be worthless once we get the pellet stove.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:35 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMom View Post
They only sell pellets by the TON! My husband is delighted. This is just another excuse for him to buy a truck. He's been doing a lot of driving back and forth to transport that in the Subaru.

We still have 3 cords of firewood, dry, seasoned, and neatly stacked that will be worthless once we get the pellet stove.
Hold onto it... throw a tarp over it until January or Feb... then list it on Craigs list. Make sure you ask a good price. it will go quickly.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:46 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:

Some places will sell pellets by the bag, but the price is [usually] far higher than by the ton.

It's too bad you're so far away, I'd have taken that wood off your hands if you were closer.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:06 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:

A 1/2ton trailer behind a 1/2ton sedan works okay too. I did that 2 years.

This summer I up-graded to a 3/4ton pickup [I got for $1500], the last two weeks I have used it pulling the trailer to haul grain. 3/4ton in the pickup bed and 1/2ton in the trailer adds up to less trips then I had to make with the sedan last year.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 875 times
Quote:
I live in NORTHern Maine. The temps here will be well below freezing for a significant portion of the year. ALL of my neighbors use either wood or pellet stoves to heat their homes.

It would take some doing to convince me having propane trucked over here from who knows where is more environmentally friendly than using wood or wood by products from local responsible forestries.

There are more than enough pine trees in the Allagash to make up for my families heat.

If you have a helpful solution, I am all ears.

Hello. I also live in maine.. My boyfriend bought some wood from up maine somewhere and everytime he burns the wood I get a allergic systems like head burning eyes burning, tiggling in my face like my face is on fire. I've notice it today when he started the woodstove my face was on fire felt like I was going to pass out. I dont know what type of wood it is but I will found out. The only problem my woodstove is in my kitchen I live in a ranch home here in saco love the woodstove but i also notice last year he bought the wood from Hannford and didnt bother me.. I know its the wood stove because everytime it dies down I can breath and dont have to much of the feeling of my head is on fire or my eyes burning and my nose, throat. I know where your comming from.. Diana

Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diana44 View Post
Hello. I also live in maine.. My boyfriend bought some wood from up maine somewhere and everytime he burns the wood I get a allergic systems like head burning eyes burning, tiggling in my face like my face is on fire. I've notice it today when he started the woodstove my face was on fire felt like I was going to pass out. I dont know what type of wood it is but I will found out. The only problem my woodstove is in my kitchen I live in a ranch home here in saco love the woodstove but i also notice last year he bought the wood from Hannford and didnt bother me.. I know its the wood stove because everytime it dies down I can breath and dont have to much of the feeling of my head is on fire or my eyes burning and my nose, throat. I know where your comming from.. Diana
I'd be moving someplace warm and soon if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine