Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 AM

973 posts, read 2,382,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
ok, so if your mailing address is determined by the post office, would your actual address be T3-ND? i'm fascinated by the fact that on the east coast there is unnamed land. i've been up in northern maine, gorgeous. once i dig out of debt, i am up there!!@
Negative....I don't know what post office this township falls under, but just say it's Burlington. The rural mail carrier from that post office has a route that covers the UT...say it's Rural Route #4. The mailing address would be RR 4, Burlington, ME. Burlington might be twenty miles away...doesn't matter, the address is Burlington, ME. Now before I get corrected, T3-ND is probably not under the Burlington PO, but there is some PO that serves the township, and that PO is the address.

An example of the consolidated post office would be Houlton's. Folks in Hodgdon have Houlton,ME as their postal address. Back in the day it used to be RFD #, but now I believe it's an RR # (RFD stood for Rural Free Delivery...RR stands for Rural Route)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
ok, so if your mailing address is determined by the post office, would your actual address be T3-ND? i'm fascinated by the fact that on the east coast there is unnamed land. i've been up in northern maine, gorgeous. once i dig out of debt, i am up there!!@
No, you have an address from the Post Office that serves that area. Which itself may be in an unincorporated area.

The Sinclair, Maine Post Office is such a place. It serves that area around Long Lake in Aroostook County. It is located in T17 R4 WELS. Address is 251 Sinclair Road, Sinclair, ME. The roads are named, the houses and buildings have numbers assigned for 911 purposes. Just like every other address: house/building number; street/road name, town/post office that serves that area. Sinclair Senior Center's address is "236 Maine 162, Sinclair, ME". Which is located on Route 162 (hence the Maine 162 part of the address).

Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM

414 posts, read 303,240 times
so i will never live my dream of having a pure UT address.... oh well

Old 11-05-2010, 09:18 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The two voters are the owners of Nicatous Lodge.
So goes the anonymity of voting lol. Both know how the other voted. Everyone knows if the both voted the same way.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
For our mail we use:

number and road name,
Unorganized Township, Maine
zipcode of the nearest town that provides mail delivery.

When I wanted to start getting home delivery of mail, I called the state asking for an address number. I was refered back and forth between fourteen different offices and I gave up.

Then a few weeks later I got a phone call from the assessor's office with the 9/11 number. It was not in the sequence of the other numbers on this road. Following the sequence this number woudl have been about 2 miles North of us. But since it came from the state and it was the official 9/11 number I started using that number.

The mail carrier was great, she did not seem to care what number we used.

UPS could not find us, Fedex could not find us; since they try to follow the sequence. Apparantly they made complaints to the USPS.

Eventually we got a letter from the Old Town Postmaster telling us to stop using the 9/11 numbers and to pick any number that was in the general sequence along this stretch of road.

So I picked a number that seemed to be in the sequence of the other homes on this stretch of road.

our number and road name,
name of the unorganized TWP, Maine
zipcode of the nearest town that provides mail delivery.

We have used this formula since the Fall of 2005 with no problems.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
I'm in northern VT and enjoy reading the Maine forum, so please understand that this won't be too relevant, but it reminded me of my own postal problems.

When we bought our home back in the 80s we only came here on weekends and a PO box seemed a good choice. Within a year we had moved here full-time and thought a mailbox was the way to go so we did that and were given an RFD address. The snowplows and oil trucks took out more than a few of them so we opted for a PO box once again but, of course, it had a different number than the old one.

Then a few years later they widened the road and made other modifications so we decided to try a mailbox once again, this time we had a RR address different from the RFD address. Next the post office told us to start using our street name for our address. Well, OK ... A little later when 911 numbers were assigned they changed the name of our road because it was too similar to another road's name.

And that's where we stand today. One house - 6 different mailing addresses. We receive Christmas cards in January now. Friends and relatives have a hard time keeping up with all this. And if all goes according to plan our next zip code (in a few years) will be 04-something.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:05 PM

134 posts, read 344,171 times
what RFD and RR?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:25 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
It would help to know why you want to know that.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
NS4life bemoans;
"so i will never live my dream of having a pure UT address.... oh well"

Move to Kingman or Rockwood. They are both UTs and both have post offices. I'm sure there are others. Rockwood used to deliver mail by boat. I don't know if they still do. It's a much shorter route by boat.

During the Great Postal Service Confusion we had a local family denied a car loan because they were only itinerants. They had lived in the same house for generations, but the post office changed their address three times in just over a year. They eventually got the loan.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:24 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Your address is actually the post office that serves you. It doesn't have to be in the township where you live. It might be "RR4 Poedunk, ME" which would be Rural Route 4 delivered from the Poedunk post office.

I'm sure others here will remember it better, but there was an issue a few years ago concerning Baileyville and Woodland. Woodland, ME is actually near Caribou, but the post office in Baileyville was called Woodland...or something like that...I don't remember the outcome specifically, but it was an issue that caused some heartburn...so the post office name doesn't have to necessarily be the name of the town it's located in, and one post office can serve multiple towns.
The mail for Baileyville is addressed as such now, while mail addressed for Woodland goes to the Caribou post office. But, since the ultimate determination we use when sorting is the Zip Code, if one were to use "Woodland" but put the Baileyville Zip on it, we would send it to the right place for you.

(This past summer, Tabitha King ordered something to be sent to the Lovell house but accidently put the Bangor Zip on it, so I had to send it to the Bangor PO, I hope she didn't have to wait *too* long to get it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine