Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,730 times

Advertisements

The job market in Maine at present is bad, is there any way to find work?

Last edited by Marka; 06-29-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 07:12 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
ACS in Lewiston is hiring. They are a call center located in the old Ames building. Check them out.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM

497 posts, read 1,566,844 times
There was a paper mill up in Jay that was hiring. They were starting at $16.74/hour and went to over $20/hour after 2 years. I don't know if they are still hiring though.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:00 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
So people know CN Brown owns and operates alot of convenience stores, we have one in Cumberland. They seem to have alot of turnover which gives the impression that it might not be a great place to work.

There was a controversy a few years ago when the employees of one of the stores, can't remember where it was, planted flowers on their own on the property to make the store look nicer. When the big wigs found out they made them remove them.

It sounds like you had a negetive separation from your last job. Even if you had rightous reasons chances are this will make things much harder to find another job. If your in an area where jobs are hard to come by employers are looking for people that have a solid work history, i.e people that have stayed in their jobs for a minimum of 1 year.

If your work history has alot of short term employment, like 8-9 months, you just have to find anything you can and stay there for at least 1 year.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Have you asked potential employers why they didn't choose you?

Old 08-29-2007, 04:43 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Have you asked potential employers why they didn't choose you?
maine writer good question,,,i use to hire/fire alot and had a few ask why they didnt get a job,,and as an employer,,,you have to be very careful how you answer,,
say ,,i had 5 applicants for a retail job,,,,half that came in,,wasnt very well groomed,,,,,and hygeine wasnt the best (to be working with the public)
now,,i had to be very careful,,,how i answered a question,,,
you cant say to someone they stink,,or should shower more often,,or should comb thier hair,,at least wash it,,

today im seeing,,,young men and woman,,at big apples (cn brown stores) with ,,earrings all over thier face,,and in dirty t-shirts,,not to mention,,again,,the groom and hygeine issues,,but then again,,these are entry level jobs,,

i asked one young lady i interveiwed recently,,,"how do you think the public will accept and perceive you?? (with 9 earrings all over her face) her answer was,,"if they cant accept me,,thats thier problem" (quite an arrogant answer)
she may have a point in her personal life,,but once you are in a place of business,,,you reflect,,the whole company and everyone else in it,, you cant be looking like a freakshow,,when working with the public,,

i worked at the shopnsave (hannaford) in jay 20 yrs ago,,very nice folks in that town,,

to the original thread,,,keep on looking for employment, thier looks to be much out thier,,,and go in with a confident, positive attitude!!
dont be whiny,snotty, arrogant, blame the world attitude,,,sound excited about working there..make sure you are cleaned up and have decent clothes on,,dont have bad breath,,,(very important)

i had friends yrs ago,,that laughed at a friend that worked at mcdonalds,,,now the guy is a district manager,,,making mega-bucks,,and the guy that laughed hasnt advanced much thru the years,,,
youve got to set your own path, not walk anyone elses!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
When I first came here from Ma. I of course made friends with other people from away. We all noticed how dressed down Maine seemed to be. Even in the work place. My first Maine wedding I saw people wearing Jeans and sneakers, some wrinkled suits, ect. Anyways either things have changed or I just don't notice it anymore.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:16 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
The dress code really stood out to us when we first came up here too.

Living in Ct, with a bunch of foster children, who just had to wear the latest fashionable clothing. The right slogans, and bracelets, and trinkets. Every piece of clothing just had to have a label from a fashionable maker. Or else they would not fit 'in', and that would damage their self image.

Down there you see ladies wearing make-up so thick it looks like it was applied with a putty knife. Bright colours too, and sparkles.

Coming up here, right away we noticed the blue jeans and sneakers, or simple dresses, and clean faces. So many men comfortable wearing beards.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:05 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
I too live in Maine, unemployed and just like you I average 1 or 2 job applications per day. Just an average, some days I apply to 10-15 jobs. Some days none.

Still unemployed.......

And I dont even have earings, tatoos, etc. Just a clean cut, healthy average guy in my late 20's.

The job market in Maine sucks.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:07 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,239 times
Dont get mad at me or think of me as making a joke but Mickey D's is a good place to start Here in Bangor they cant find enough people to work. As a college student they can work around your hours easily. They may even have some kind of scolarship program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine