Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,035,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I majored in astronomy in my first go-round of college and having lived in and much nearer to urban areas many times it is likely both. It is amazing how far light pollution spreads. From here, on a moonless night, it is obvious which way to Bangor. And I think the pollution just cuts the amount of star and moon light that gets through. With the yard lights (although we wouldn't have one and not all the neighbors do) the "read by moonlight" effect is not quite as striking here as when I lived in an off-grid community in a canyon down from the wheat fields of eastern Washington state. There, even on a moonless night, you could easily walk the paths from farm to farm except in the densest part of the woods, without additional light. And you really could read the newspaper by the moon light!

We have been overcast of late, but some of the most spectacular night skies I have seen are when I take the dogs our for their "last call" before bed in the depth of winter.
If you look at the sky though a long cardboard tube, you will see more stars than with the naked eye.

See even more from the bottom of a well.

And I think if the well is deep enough, you might even see some stars in the daytime.

But stick with the cardboard tube, it's safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 05:17 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Wow! Elston and Starwalker it has been 3 years already. I remember reading and responding to both of you two's earlier posts when you were trying to decide to move back/to Maine. It sounds like it has been a very good 3 years for both of you, and your SO's.
It's amazing how time flies when you are having fun!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,703,910 times
We had started planning our move to Maine about 7 years ago. After a few obstacles, we finally made the move April of last year. We rented for 3 months to figure out where we wanted to buy, and have been in our house for a little over a year now. The biggest issue was finding work, which is why it took us a while to finally make the move. (It wasn't easy to find work from out-of-state.) DH found a great job here, and my cleaning business is going very well. We're extremely happy here. Our kids love school here and have adjusted well. I'm so happy to finally live in a place that truly feels like home.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
Default possibly moving in the next year

empty nest couple looking for a place to move to in maine. we will be up next weekend looking for towns. our start will be in damariscotta, bath, harpswell and south from there. any input or ideas would be great....

Old 11-09-2010, 08:57 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
I moved to Maine in 2005. Most of our saga has been posted here on CityData.

Building our house, planting orchards, gardens, vehicles, tapping maples, picking fiddleheads, our chickens [swimming and non-swimming] sheep, goats and hogs.

I don't think I can condense it into one post.

We have tried to be helpful and assist ours moving to Maine, some post here, some do not. And we have tried to become involved with local society.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:07 AM

70 posts, read 157,382 times
Been here full time for just over a year now. Both Ted and I grew up in the NY metro area, and moved to Nova Scotia shortly after we met and lived there for 7 years. After about 4 years realized that we wanted to be back in the US and started making our move toward Maine. It took 3 years to make the move, and we still have a house and boat shop there that we have been unable to sell.

To answer your question, I LOVE every second of every day that I'm here. I finally feel like it is where I belong. My soul is at peace.

We work very hard.....7 days a week for the past year....trying to grow our new boat building business. We're doing well and have more work than we can handle this winter and are hiring more people. We're finally going to start doing some work on our house (a 3-year old one, which wasn't quite finished when we bought it) and are also going to work on our own boat this winter so that she can get back in the water after beeing out for 3 years. And, we're also going to work on getting out more socially, meeting more people and getting involved in our community.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
I moved from Yarmouth to Brunswick when I was 23 and then from Brunswick to Freeport when I was 25. I've been in Freeport the last 27 years and I'm happy.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:24 AM

51 posts, read 90,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox'sonthemove View Post
empty nest couple looking for a place to move to in maine. we will be up next weekend looking for towns. our start will be in damariscotta, bath, harpswell and south from there. any input or ideas would be great....
Include Brunswick in your looking. If you're interested in senior complexes, there are a total of 6. Thornton Oaks is a full service one, not income based. The others are apartments and income based. (either medium or low income.)
There is a lot of cultural life and opportunities for volunteering. One can audit classes at Bowdoin for free as long as the professor is willing. There is also Senior College, classes all taught by volunteers, with a schedule more suited to seniors.

It's possible to live near the center of town and - especially with the new bus service - possible to meet all of your needs by walking.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,355,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa2010 View Post
Include Brunswick in your looking. If you're interested in senior complexes, there are a total of 6. Thornton Oaks is a full service one, not income based. The others are apartments and income based. (either medium or low income.)
There is a lot of cultural life and opportunities for volunteering. One can audit classes at Bowdoin for free as long as the professor is willing. There is also Senior College, classes all taught by volunteers, with a schedule more suited to seniors.

It's possible to live near the center of town and - especially with the new bus service - possible to meet all of your needs by walking.

Lots of good info... thanks!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:02 PM

395 posts, read 459,112 times
My wife and I were at Nubble Lighthouse about a month ago on a night with a clear sky. Even though there was the light of the restaurant nearby there had to be at least sixty bazillion stars in the sky shining against the backdrop of the lighthouse. It was beautiful.

We live in central NH now but we both grew up spending our summers in York. I could spend the rest of my life travelling to new places every day and I don't think I'd ever find a place that better than York. Someday we hope to retire there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine