Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Well, how else can you expect to compete with China?
Tarrifs. On them and Japan. Screw 'em. Maybe then companies will come back home. I know; unrealistic and too simplified. I can dream.

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 01-26-2011 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Maine has gained an average of 77,000 acres a year of forest for the last 70 years. Yes; GAINED. That is more than three townships per year. You can't argue with facts. "goto10" and his fellow travelers need not worry. We are the most heavily forested state in the nation. We have been for a long time. That will not change despite the fact that we may build a few more camps. For many years during rural cleansing in the endarkenment we have lost more camps than were built. I have photos of fallen down camps I run across in the woods. I have photos of roads with barriers across them so a fire truck can't get there to fight a woods fire. I have photos of ruined forests caused by beaver dams.

I remember watching men build a boathouse in the lake. It was legal. We'll get our freedom back, one way or another.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Let's not dump on china too much, they are underwriting our trillions in debt because of runaway spending.

Maine has more , thousands of acres more of trees and forests than a 100 years ago.

I suggest anyone taking a drive from bangor to houlton to see what most of maine is-maine is over 90% trees

some counties in maine have only 4 person per squ mile-maine is a rural state

Maine needs jobs, good paying jobs with benefits, we need development and have plenty of room for development.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 PM

36 posts, read 71,969 times
Quote:
The sane thing would be for our government to have imposed a tarrif on any country that employs virtual slave labor and pollutes the planet to undercut American goods and services.

How do you fairly compete with a country that does this, for example?

Source: Amazing Pictures, Pollution in China | ChinaHush
agreed 100% but no one wants to anger china thesedays.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 PM

36 posts, read 71,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'll dismiss the comment about how prosperous China is under communism as a joke as you certainly cannot be serious with such a statement.
Have you ever been to the western part of northern Maine??? Seriously??? I spend a week or two there every fall and I can tell you there isn't a thing except for an occasional primitive cabin on a pond here and there for thousands of square miles. We have to haul in everything including fuel for a week. If we run out we have to drive to Canada to get it. There is not a store, a gas station, a factory, a post office, nothing, but lakes rivers ponds and mountains. You can leave Ashland and drive 80 miles straight before hitting Canada. I could take you to places and drop you off and you would most likely perish before another soul came by to find you. That's just a small part of the undeveloped land in Maine. Maine is in no danger of losing it's forests to industry. Industry will not relocate to Maine due to transportation costs, heating expenses, lack of a workforce, and many other economic reasons far beyond the envrionmental clamp in place now. LePage is trying to lift the envrionmental strangle hold on businesses close to developed areas first. He isn't planning to turn Baxter State Park into another Sunday River....though that may not be a bad idea!
yes I was serious about that but if you choose not to believe that's whatever.

As for there still being true wilderness in Maine and around, I agree with you but I'd like it to stay that way. Where you live was also one true wilderness, same for me or anyone. If every generation comes along and clears a bit of land for themselves that adds up and frankly I don't see the point of it when there is a hue surplus of vacant housing in this country right now. That being said, maybe I shouldn't complain because no one is going to be cutting down anything unless there is actual demand for that space...I think.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto10 View Post
maineah, fyi China is an actual communist country and they are blowing us away right now.

That being said this development legislation is crap. I would like there to be some trees up there when I finally retire, which ain't soon. The enviro-nuts are thinking about everyone's future, not just your present. There are more people in the world now, resources are decreasing, learn to share, your grandkids will thank you.
The environmentalists in question aren't looking out for people, they don't want any people living there. Period. Piling everyone up in cities is not protecting them.

The environment is important, but these people are just using environmentalism to push their real agenda, which has nothing to do with the environment.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Quote:
The trend for the last hundred years has been for more and more Americans to live in cities.

Such that now the majority of Americans live in cities.

And I suspect urban living will need to be encouraged, as it is the most effcient way to conserve energy and distribute resources.

And since at the same time, America is becoming more of a service and knowledge based economy, employers will locate themselves where the people are: in or near cities.

If the lack of jobs and the rising costs of heating and maintaining a free-standing single family home isn't enough to force people to move to cities, the government will eventually make owning a private home and rural living more expensive, by imposing and/or raising taxes on such things as oil, natural gas, and gasoline.

If anyone doubts this--think that even now there's a movement afoot to eliminate the federal income tax mortgage deduction.
The government is already doing that, in spades!

I am in the corner of economists like Larry Kudlow who believe there should not be tax incentives to own any investment. That includes home ownership and municipal bonds. Investments should be able to stand on their own merit and if you can't afford a home, then you are probably better off renting.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto10 View Post
yes I was serious about that but if you choose not to believe that's whatever.

As for there still being true wilderness in Maine and around, I agree with you but I'd like it to stay that way. Where you live was also one true wilderness, same for me or anyone. If every generation comes along and clears a bit of land for themselves that adds up and frankly I don't see the point of it when there is a hue surplus of vacant housing in this country right now. That being said, maybe I shouldn't complain because no one is going to be cutting down anything unless there is actual demand for that space...I think.
There is no true wilderness in Maine. Most of the woods have been logged for generations. Much of it was converted to farmland. Much of that farmland has reverted to forest. Trees are a renewable resource just like corn, wheat, Belgium endive or hemp.

Maine has probably, the highest level of home ownership in the country. If there is a surplus of vacant housing out there, then so be it. It has no bearing on the Maine experience.

Lepage has heard the calls for reform of the environmental laws. Gone will be the days when a man shows up at your door yard and hands you an order to trim 10 feet off your deck with a chainsaw because its within 75 feet of the high water mark. I've been there, done that. It sucks! A vernal pool is anything the enviro's and their enablers in the government, say it is. You will have no say.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
There is no true wilderness in Maine. Most of the woods have been logged for generations. Much of it was converted to farmland. Much of that farmland has reverted to forest. Trees are a renewable resource just like corn, wheat, Belgium endive or hemp.

Maine has probably, the highest level of home ownership in the country. If there is a surplus of vacant housing out there, then so be it. It has no bearing on the Maine experience.

Lepage has heard the calls for reform of the environmental laws. Gone will be the days when a man shows up at your door yard and hands you an order to trim 10 feet off your deck with a chainsaw because its within 75 feet of the high water mark. I've been there, done that. It sucks! A vernal pool is anything the enviro's and their enablers in the government, say it is. You will have no say.
There's a good chance I will have waterfront property on saltwater if I move to Maine.

I would love to have a dock, and I would love to see the ocean from my windows.

But I will not complain if I can have neither because of shoreline regulations.

Much as I would like those features, I know that if all owners of waterfront were free to build docks and cut down vegetation, it would ruin the view anyway--especially with the ugly houses most people build these days--who wants to look at ugly houses from your house or from your boat?

I swear, even if I were free to chop down trees to improve the view, I'd probably plant trees to block the view, if I had to look across the water at some architecturally illiterate McMansion or log-pile with huge triangular windows or somebody's fantasy imitation lighthouse.

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 01-26-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
We have tides, y'know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine