Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times

Advertisements

The Churchill bust was on loan and part of the Oval office decor, like rugs or drapes. The bust was removed prior to the inauguration. It was replaced with a bust of Lincoln.
The White House Replaces Churchill Bust - Newsweek

Quote:
Intended as a symbol of transatlantic solidarity, the bust was a loaner from former British prime minister Tony Blair following the September 11 attacks.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
The Churchill bust was on loan and part of the Oval office decor, like rugs or drapes. The bust was removed prior to the inauguration. It was replaced with a bust of Lincoln.
The White House Replaces Churchill Bust - Newsweek
From Newsweek Not Fox....
Maybe it's no surprise that Obama wouldn't want Churchill watching over his shoulder. After all, it was Churchill who, in 1952, ordered a crackdown on the Mau Mau rebellion against British colonial rule in Kenya, Obama's ancestral homeland. Obama's grandfather, Hussein Onyango Obama, was labeled a subversive during the uprising and spent months in detention.
Sounds like it's personal to me.....The point is Decor changes with the tastes of the current administration. Reading dictator into either man's action is ludicrous.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
From Newsweek Not Fox....
Maybe it's no surprise that Obama wouldn't want Churchill watching over his shoulder. After all, it was Churchill who, in 1952, ordered a crackdown on the Mau Mau rebellion against British colonial rule in Kenya, Obama's ancestral homeland. Obama's grandfather, Hussein Onyango Obama, was labeled a subversive during the uprising and spent months in detention.
Sounds like it's personal to me.....dictators take things personally....That's why they wipe out their opponents.
The bust was on loan to former Pres. Bush. It was returned at the end of his term.

from the same article,..............
Quote:
Churchill expert Steven Hayward of the American Enterprise Institute thinks the average Briton will be unfazed by the bust's return, saying that folks across the pond have always been puzzled by American fondness for Churchill

Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
The bust was gone from the Oval Office when Obama got there. How could its return imply anything about his opinion of the British?

( ... or, maybe he sent it back because he didn't get a wedding invitation.)

Old 03-24-2011, 03:32 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,424 times
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."
— Eleanor Roosevelt

Just how long has he been governor now? Three whole months? I guess conservatives and liberals should have seen this coming. I remember Bush and Obama, both in office only a couple months, when the "opposite thinkers" started their negative engagements and name calling. Shucks....I hate politics.

Myself, I'm still politically homeless.... I wish I could love my Maine and California governors but will support them anyway. At least see how they do the first year. It takes time to make a real disaster of things.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
when I first heard this, I thought well, these are traditional symbols, what's the big deal?

but then again, the christmas tree in a school is a symbol, and reflects traditions, and that got abolished-even in towns that are 99% christian
yes, this may be religious, but they are still symbols and traditional ones at that

In this politically correct time, we seem to lean towards the lowest common denominator-if something "offends" anyone-take it down, or abolish it

personally, it doesnt offend me, but neither did christmas trees in school
and ironically, it's many of the same folks that are "outraged" by the thought of removing the labor mural, but easily look the other way when other traditions are eroded

Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 PM

326 posts, read 434,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."
— Eleanor Roosevelt

Just how long has he been governor now? Three whole months? I guess conservatives and liberals should have seen this coming. I remember Bush and Obama, both in office only a couple months, when the "opposite thinkers" started their negative engagements and name calling. Shucks....I hate politics.

Myself, I'm still politically homeless.... I wish I could love my Maine and California governors but will support them anyway. At least see how they do the first year. It takes time to make a real disaster of things.
About 8 years...

Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM

300 posts, read 758,318 times
Excellent Job, Lepage; keep up the good work !

Moderator cut: Off topic material removed. See advisory thread on Maine forum index page

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-24-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
You mean Paul "I don't cater to special interests groups" LePage? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Gov. LePage Orders Little Girl's Sandcastle Kicked In

Quote:
Calls artwork a "tacit endorsement of monarchy."
AUGUSTA - Following his decision to remove a mural depicting the state's labor history from the Maine Department of Labor, Maine Governor Paul LePage ordered Thursday that a little girl's sandcastle be kicked in for sending the wrong message to business leaders. The sandcastle, constructed just this morning at Reid State Park in Georgetown, is slated for destruction by vigorous kicking later today.

Gov. LePage Orders Little Girl's Sandcastle Kicked In
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine